Going from lowering springs (Eibach PK) and OEM shocks to coilovers (BC/D2)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
bmckenney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from lowering springs (Eibach PK) and OEM shocks to coilovers (BC/D2)?

I have an AWD and I lowered it with PK springs. The OEM shocks had a lot of K's on them and this setup bounced badly. I thought it was because the original shocks were worn too badly. So I put in new shocks, KYB Excels, the only after market shocks available, and this was definately an improvement. But I still get a bit too much bounce for me over . And it just doesn't feel right to me. It feels out of balance. I'm thinking the the mix of different vendor products isn't ideal. Spring rate isn't a balanced match or something.

Since KW isn't an option, I'm willing to take a chance on a $1000 coilover kit like D2 or BC. I have searched a lot on this subject but still haven't found posts where someone has gone from a lowering spring and OEM shock to mid-level coilovers and stated what the results were. If there was a big difference in suspension performance or not. I have read theoretical posts that say coilovers should be better and I get the reasons why such as the component spec's matching is properly done. But what about real world experiences? Either going from springs to coils. Or even going from coils to springs. Is a picky suspension driver going to notice an improvement?

What else? This is a DD. Have Hotchkis sways already.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
timfactor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have hotchkins sways with BC's riding in Philly every day no issues... Ride will be stiffer and more bouncy with coils over springs just fyi
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
bmckenney

It just occurred to me that a coil such as D2 or BC should have a superior shock in it compared to the KYB. I don't know this and would like to find out more about it. If this was true and the shock was significantly better, that would clinch it for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Ragincajun5220

here's the cold hard truth

every setup you can think of will ride worse than stock and have more bounce. for every 10th of an inch you lower the car over stock ride height, it will ride worse.

the OEM springs and dampers are made for each other both in terms of suspension tuning (spring rate vs damping rate) and the length of the springs and length of the damper.

aftermarket kits are not optimally designed in this way. your best shot to have a ride remotely close to as comfortable as stock is a very high end kit with a high quality *shortened* damper and to not lower the car more than an inch max.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Arcanum777
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ragincajun5220
here's the cold hard truth

every setup you can think of will ride worse than stock and have more bounce. for every 10th of an inch you lower the car over stock ride height, it will ride worse.

the OEM springs and dampers are made for each other both in terms of suspension tuning (spring rate vs damping rate) and the length of the springs and length of the damper.

aftermarket kits are not optimally designed in this way. your best shot to have a ride remotely close to as comfortable as stock is a very high end kit with a high quality *shortened* damper and to not lower the car more than an inch max.

So what type of kit would someone be looking at company wise to get the max comfort? I am looking at the D2s with about an inch and a half drop. I don't mind a little rougher, but I don't want to get into that ouch a bump type of feel.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
had BCs and could not get rid of noise issue. it's a hit or miss for the awd kit.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Ragincajun5220

Originally Posted by Arcanum777
So what type of kit would someone be looking at company wise to get the max comfort? I am looking at the D2s with about an inch and a half drop. I don't mind a little rougher, but I don't want to get into that ouch a bump type of feel.
the ride comfort in terms of stiffness and bounce will be significantly compromised.

i wouldnt lower the car more than an inch max. the suspension geometry changes significantly as you lower the car (control arm geometry, etc) as well as the other issues i mentioned.

think about it it this way, if you have shocks that are not shortened and meant for a stock ride height, the shocks will not be compressed at all at stock ride height. if you lower the car an inch, they are already compressed an inch at static height, and lose probably 40% of their travel because they are already compressed and probably only have 2.5 inches of travel built in to them. this is one main reason why the ride comfort is so badly diminished.

i think you *may* be able to get away with a .75-1 inch drop on kw v3 and still maintain a good ride. possibly .75 inches with kw v1 would be good as well.

my recommendation is to either DIY or find someone local to help you DIY and spend the installation savings on higher end coilovers. KW v3 is the cheapest id go on my car, and ive had a lot of suspension systems on a lot of different cars.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM
bmckenney

Originally Posted by Ragincajun5220
the ride comfort in terms of stiffness and bounce will be significantly compromised.

i wouldnt lower the car more than an inch max. the suspension geometry changes significantly as you lower the car (control arm geometry, etc) as well as the other issues i mentioned.

think about it it this way, if you have shocks that are not shortened and meant for a stock ride height, the shocks will not be compressed at all at stock ride height. if you lower the car an inch, they are already compressed an inch at static height, and lose probably 40% of their travel because they are already compressed and probably only have 2.5 inches of travel built in to them. this is one main reason why the ride comfort is so badly diminished.

i think you *may* be able to get away with a .75-1 inch drop on kw v3 and still maintain a good ride. possibly .75 inches with kw v1 would be good as well.

my recommendation is to either DIY or find someone local to help you DIY and spend the installation savings on higher end coilovers. KW v3 is the cheapest id go on my car, and ive had a lot of suspension systems on a lot of different cars.
I have new OEM equivalent KYB's in my G35X with moderate lowering springs (Pro Kit) and the ride is compromised for sure and I suspect the reason is like you stated.

But I would think going to a coillver like a D2 woudl negate that compromise. I would think the shock design is setup to give a fair bit of travel since the whole idea of this situation is to lower the car. I would think the shock in the coilver is not going to be compromised like an OEM setup where lowering springs are introduced.

BTW, KW's are not available for the AWD.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Ragincajun5220

Originally Posted by bmckenney
I have new OEM equivalent KYB's in my G35X with moderate lowering springs (Pro Kit) and the ride is compromised for sure and I suspect the reason is like you stated.

But I would think going to a coillver like a D2 woudl negate that compromise. I would think the shock design is setup to give a fair bit of travel since the whole idea of this situation is to lower the car. I would think the shock in the coilver is not going to be compromised like an OEM setup where lowering springs are introduced.

BTW, KW's are not available for the AWD.
my mistake, i did not realize you and the guy i responded to had AWD cars.

i question that about the D2 for a couple reasons. one, at that price point, there is no way you are getting a high quality damper even equal to OEM. two, are the dampers shortened? if so, how much over stock? ideally, your drop should be equal to the amount that the dampers are shortened over the stock dampers. they should also have the exact same amount of travel at that shorter height.

without the answer to those questions, you really are shooting in the dark and have the same issues as lowering springs on the stock shocks.