Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

BC Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
you were able to stay in spec on the rear that's great to hear
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thinking about getting the BC Coilovers soon. Any long term review?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Lake,an
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Thinking about getting the BC Coilovers soon. Any long term review?
After 7000 miles the BC's are great.No clunking noises that you read about.I would go with the Swift springs.After trying many spring rates and sizes,I found that the 12k front and 10k 9" rear works great.I really did not want to go with BC because of all the bad reviews that I read.I think a lot of them were from older models.I am very happy with the outcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lake,an:
cereal2k (03-26-2014), kiseliok (12-09-2016)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Leadwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lake,an
I installed the BC coilovers with Swift springs a couple months ago.The kit came with 12K Front 10K Rear spring rates.The install was a piece of cake.

The rear shock has the damping adjustment **** on the upper side of the shock.You still have to remove the tire to adjust.

The ride and handling was great.The car tracked great on cornering and there was zero body roll.

After one week of running this setup the rear would keep settling.I would adjust and a few days later it would settle again.After a few weeks the rear springs settled 1.5".The spring perch was adjusted all the way high.

After working with Leo from Swift and doing the math he came up with trying a 14k 9" spring.After installing the spring the drop was only .5 and the ride was very stiff.So I tried a 10K 9" rear spring.

Well after 2000 miles the springs are great.No settling and the handing and ride is excellent.I have the front damping set at 10 clicks hard and the rear at 7 clicks hard.This is my wife's car so I only wanted a 1"drop for the rear and 1.5"for the front,that is why i went with a coilover setup.I did not think that the ride would be better then stock (stiffer),But the ride is by far much better then stock.

I have also been working with Sam at BC with the Swift spring setup.BC did all there R&D with there spring before they released the kit.They can not R&D every spring out there,So it was a crap shoot on what spring rate to run with Swifts.I was fine with trying different springs to fine the right setup.All I can say that BC has great customer service and Sam is a stand up guy.

I also was working with Strange on the boards.He also purchased the same kit,But went with 8KF/8KR springs.I am sure he will post what he went through,But that setup did not work.He is running the BC rears right now and I think they are to low for what he wants.

I have heard a lot of bad reviews on BC coilovers.All I can say is the ride is great.I have no noise issues after 2500 miles and there customer service is great!!!!

My drop right now is 1.2"rear/1.6front.There is adjustment in the rear for 2" more drop and about 1" to go higher.I am on Ifordged 20" wheels 8 1/2"Front 10' rear.Tires 285/30/20 Rear 245/35/20 Front.Ground to fender rim is 26.7" Rear 26.3 Front.

I have also talked with Chris Hinds at SPC.They have no plans on making a rear camber arm for the vert.He thinks the camber bolt kit will work on the vert.If it works it will give about 1 more degree of adjustment,but that is better then nothing.The camber arm is only good for that much if you want to keep the toe in spec.The camber arm is capable of changing camber by huge amounts,but you can't get toe back in spec because you're still limited by the cam adjustment range of toe.He is sending me a bolt to try,if it works i will post my findings

Here are a few pictures of the drop.

I am also thinking about removing the centers of the wheels and getting them powder coated gunmetal or matte black.What do you think? The price I paid for the wheels was 0,so i can't bitch about the finish.
What is the golden round piece besides the strut and the spring?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:55 AM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Lake,an
After 7000 miles the BC's are great.No clunking noises that you read about.I would go with the Swift springs.After trying many spring rates and sizes,I found that the 12k front and 10k 9" rear works great.I really did not want to go with BC because of all the bad reviews that I read.I think a lot of them were from older models.I am very happy with the outcome.
Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered mine last week 3/20. Doing BC Springs, 12k front, 12k rear. Hopefully I'll get is installed by ZDayz and put it though some Tail of the Dragon mountain run shake downs or our local Blood Mountain in GA.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 AM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by Fezzik
you were able to stay in spec on the rear that's great to hear
Just to add my feedback.

Height:
I went with 12k front, 12k rear BC springs.

There is really no change for my setup with the springs settling. I'm at near full heigh on the rear and still have my 3 degrees negative camber. So raising it to stock height will not happen, and half the height of stock will not happen for me at least.

So......................if you are looking to be mid way I'd choose not to go coilovers and just use coupe springs.

Now ride quality:
A-freaking-mazing.
Oh the rears are full stiffness for me, but monitoring go pro vids from mountain runs, I have the same camber play in the corners. No really stiffness difference.

No boat feeling. I ride over my usual bumps with adequate damping and I dont feel that major bump up and down boat like feeling I had before with H&R front springs and Eibach coupe Rear springs.

So............I'm loving the ride quality

Other: Slight clinking noise after first install. It's metal on metal on the spring bucket and not with a rubber base like the stock springs have. However after 4 days of mountain driving it is not noticable just going over top of hills or slight bumps initially. Not anything to worry about.

Drawback: If you are looking for a drop half way from stock on the rear you will not get it, and your camber will still be out from my experience with my BC springs option. Swift spring option may vary.

Hopefully lake, an can provide some feedback on his camber setup.

I'll have pics and such in another thread. Install was done while out of town and I asked for some install pics.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 AM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Anyone else have bc installed wanting to review?

What spring rates come with the kit by default?

Swift really worth $400 more?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 AM
Infinibini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Anyone else have bc installed wanting to review?

What spring rates come with the kit by default?

Swift really worth $400 more?
I just installed my BC Racing coilovers and I like them. Compared to OEM my car feels like it is glued to the road, it feels like it is on rails. Definitely worth it. As far as swift springs I don't know, I wondered myself how much better they could really be. I bought the coilovers for 950 and I also bought SPC front camber arms, rear camber arms and toe bolts. It took a while to elongate my toe bolt holes and install everything but the car drives great now.

I am pretty sure the spring rates are 12k front and 10k rear.