MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   X sedan Swift Springs review (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/239294-x-sedan-swift-springs-review.html)

LexiG37 08-28-2012 07:23 PM

X sedan Swift Springs review

Last week I installed my long awaited springs from Swift (part # 4N907). I have an X sedan and needed a mild drop badly!! The wheel well gaps, especially front, were an eyesore. So, after fighting with some stubborn bolts up front (the rear was easy), I completed the drop 7 hrs later.:eek: There's no pulling to either side and the camber looks OK (to me at least).

I like how it looks now BUT, the ride quality isn't the same, it's more choppy and harsher, and the reduced clearance is a pain. At the lowest point, which is under the engine cover, it is only 3":icon43:. Just under the front bumper it's 5". I have to be careful going over speed bumps, potholes, and any road imperfections. I wonder if this added stiffness/harshness will lead to interior rattles down the road...

I'm beginning to question my decision to lower based on harshness and ridiculously low ground clearance. Or maybe I just have to adjust.

Any comments are appreciated.

Greg

scotty_g 08-28-2012 08:18 PM

Well I agree w/ most of what you said. I installed my swift springs for x in the spring. The front clearance is def low + I have the lip. Is the engine cover the thing on the bottom? Mine already started getting "chopped" up from city potholes recently hehe. Ride quality is worse but it's never going to be better w/ springs. I can't compare it to the other companies to see if the ride is better. I will switch to coilovers once kw makes some for the x. Otherwise I would of just went to them right away :9 So long story short def not the best, nor is it horrible.

timfactor 08-28-2012 08:20 PM

Pics?!?!

Dj1ofDet 08-28-2012 08:53 PM

The two above testimonies have me reconsidering installing these on my ride. I have them ready to install, but I definitely don't want to degrade the ride quality. Any chance it may take a few days to break the springs in? I really want to get rid of the excessive wheel gap, but I don't want to kill my ride quality, or the underside of my G.

timfactor 08-28-2012 09:10 PM

I want mine as low as possible until a better coilover system comes out. We need pics

madmax2k1 08-28-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by LexiG37 (Post 3515287)
I'm beginning to question my decision to lower based on harshness and ridiculously low ground clearance. Or maybe I just have to adjust.

Any comments are appreciated.

Greg

Thank you for your honest opinion about the harsh ride since the majority of people who lower their car claim that their ride does not change which totally defies logic and common sense.

Paneraiguy 08-28-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet (Post 3515323)
The two above testimonies have me reconsidering installing these on my ride. I have them ready to install, but I definitely don't want to degrade the ride quality. Any chance it may take a few days to break the springs in? I really want to get rid of the excessive wheel gap, but I don't want to kill my ride quality, or the underside of my G.

:icon43: I just ordered a new set now I really don't know if that is what I want to do to my car.

At what point do most people stop and reevaluate how many mods are put on a car? At what point to do we put so much suspension, engine and exterior mods that the car becomes difficult to live with everyday. Lowering cars to the point that you are damaging the undercarriage and scraping body parts seems to defeat the purpose.

Super main point - I want my car lower but I live in a area that snows and doesn't have the best roads. Lowering the car may not be the best idea for people that use their cars as daily drivers.

I am confused with these springs since the sedans dropped on Swift springs below seem pretty mild.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...x-sedan-3.html

LexiG37 08-28-2012 10:25 PM

For the winter I will be getting slightly taller profile tires to compensate. If that doesn't do the trick I can always borrow the wife's XC90 since she works from home.

P.S. I don't feel like uploading pics, besides, it looks like all the other X's with Swift springs. It looks great, but...

So, if you're on the fence about "upgrading" your suspension but you value a premium vehicle ride characteristic, might I suggest that you leave it as is or you might not be 100% satisfied.

Paneraiguy 08-28-2012 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by LexiG37 (Post 3515376)
For the winter I will be getting slightly taller profile tires to compensate. If that doesn't do the trick I can always borrow the wife's XC90 since she works from home.

P.S. I don't feel like uploading pics, besides, it looks like all the other X's with Swift springs. It looks great, but...

So, if you're on the fence about "upgrading" your suspension but you value a premium vehicle ride characteristic, might I suggest that you leave it as is or you might not be 100% satisfied.

:icon43: Great...

Now I need to figure out what to do with the springs.

bat6wc 08-28-2012 11:02 PM

swift springs are the mildest drop by far. im surprised clearance is an issue for you guys. I had the springs plus i have the journey front lip on my sport bumper which sits way lower than the sport lip and I rarely had issues. The ride will be stiffer yes, but that is with most aftermarket springs. thats the trade off. i wouldnt recommend getting hotchkis sways then bc that will stiffer it up some more.

Paneraiguy 08-28-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by bat6wc (Post 3515389)
swift springs are the mildest drop by far. im surprised clearance is an issue for you guys. I had the springs plus i have the journey front lip on my sport bumper which sits way lower than the sport lip and I rarely had issues. The ride will be stiffer yes, but that is with most aftermarket springs. thats the trade off. i wouldnt recommend getting hotchkis sways then bc that will stiffer it up some more.

@Bat

Is your car a daily driver? Would you say the drop and ride was something that is livable? If given a choice between having my car look stylish and having it be usable without having it get banged up in the process, I would choose keeping the car usable.

bat6wc 08-28-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paneraiguy (Post 3515394)
@Bat

Is your car a daily driver? Would you say the drop and ride was something that is livable?

yes it is a DD. Depends on your wants vs needs. To me it was livable but for you it might not be. I just actually went back to stock suspension and I hate it. its more comfortable but its not as responsive and a little bouncy.

Paneraiguy 08-28-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bat6wc (Post 3515395)
yes it is a DD. Depends on your wants vs needs. To me it was livable but for you it might not be. I just actually went back to stock suspension and I hate it. its more comfortable but its not as responsive and a little bouncy.

Very true. My needs are not always the same as others. For me, I just need to be able to drive around like normal without having to worry about scraping up my car on bumps and driveways.

I am putting 20's on my car as a solution to clear another ridiculous idea I had to put Akebono brakes on. Will 20's give my car extra ground clearance over 19's using the same springs?

bat6wc 08-28-2012 11:33 PM

your ground clearance wont change. the bigger you go and the thinner the tires, the rougher the ride will be.

Paneraiguy 08-28-2012 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by bat6wc (Post 3515404)
your ground clearance wont change. the bigger you go and the thinner the tires, the rougher the ride will be.

:7: I sort of feel like I am just overdoing my car at this point.