Hotchkis for the AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Exclamation Hotchkis for the AWD

I'm completely fed up with my cars lack of handling and its "boat like" stability on the road when taking turns or even merging off of off-ramps. After reading nothing but great things about Hotchkis sway bars, I will be ordering a set today. Its a tough adjustment coming from my g-coupe that handled so well to an awd sedan so I have a few questions for you all with these sway bars on your sedan.

One of the setups I have read that people are running are for the stiffest setting in the front and in the rear for the sway bars. By doing so, do you guys hear a lot of rattling inside of the car due to the stiffness? I dont want to hear any rattling or clunking after I get these put on so is this something that will inevitably happen? Also what other pointers and set ups are others running with their sway bars?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the stiffer setting up from and the middle setting in the rear and I'm happy with it. Disclaimer: I don't track it or anything this is just everyday driving.

I've not noticed any rattling or clunking. Really the only time the ride comfort is noticeably different is if the wheels on the same axle go over a bump, pothole, etc at 2 different times (I hope that makes sense).

The only other time I know they're on is when cornering, and then it's just a night and day difference and will put a smile on your face (and wonder why Infiniti didn't do this in the first place).
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by mikejg
(and wonder why Infiniti didn't do this in the first place).
one word - Lawyers
Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, lawyers. Most AWD vehicles are intentionally set up wtih more understeer to enhance stability when it is slick. There have been a few here with AWD and Hotchkis who have posted about the car's tendancy to swap ends when it gets slick.

I may do it anyway.
Greg
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with your comments about the awd g handling like a boat. I added the Hotchkiss sways and they help somewhat but it still isn't great. I think infiniti changed the suspension for 2010 because i had a 2009 awd g37 that handled great but my 2010 isn't nearly as precise or road hugging.

I am looking forward to may and putting my supersports back on though
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by superjer2000
I agree with your comments about the awd g handling like a boat. I added the Hotchkiss sways and they help somewhat but it still isn't great. I think infiniti changed the suspension for 2010 because i had a 2009 awd g37 that handled great but my 2010 isn't nearly as precise or road hugging.
Interesting, what stiffness setting are you running on the hotchkis?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2011 G Coupe and have my Hotchkis sways set to stiffest F/R. It definitely tightens up the steering. I recently took my G to it's first autox event and it still understeered like crazy since the front is so damn heavy. Still a blast to drive though Note that I do get rattles every now and then, mostly from my sunglass holder and sometimes the dash/window noise that a few of us have experienced.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by superjer2000
I think infiniti changed the suspension for 2010 because i had a 2009 awd g37 that handled great but my 2010 isn't nearly as precise or road hugging.
I've been too lazy to actually look into this, but i feel the same way. My 2007 Sedan felt tighter than my 2011 Sedan.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I have my front on the inner setting, and the rear in the middle. The steering is spot on for my style of driving. The front end dives into turns, and the rear end doesn't kick out on me when hitting hard turns.

Last edited by Dj1ofDet; 04-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
I have my front on the inner setting, and the rear in the middle. The steering is spot on for my style of driving. The front end dives into turns, and the rear end doesn't kick out on me when hitting hard turns.
so having the rear on the stiffest setting would make my rear end more susceptible to kick out? even with an AWD? Im sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to understand the sway bar setting dynamics for the sedan, issue is I want the most out of the sways without compromising the ride and winter awd settings.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Interesting, what stiffness setting are you running on the hotchkis?
Stiffest in the front and middle in the rear as per Hotchkis' recommendations. I find that keeps things firm enough and I can induce oversteer when I require. I'm not sure I would really get any additional handling benefit from going to the stiffest on the rear.

I am not a suspension expert but in contrast to earlier comments, I don't think that AWD has anything to do with a stiffer rear setting putting you rear-end first it is just when you couple the two wheels together more tightly whether AWD or RWD you are more likely to run into a situation where one of the wheels looses contact with the road causing you to flip around.

With regards to my comment before about my 2010 handling worse than my 2009, I have read other comments here about people complaining about "floaty" or "spooky" handling characteristics in their 2010+ cars. I haven't seen any such issues for 2009 and earlier versions. As an aside, I have the G37xS and the stock Dunlop A/S tires were also horrible. I have been riding on my Blizzak WS-70 (a non-sporting tire to be sure) so I am looking forward to getting my Pilot Super Sports back on. I had them on for a short time last summer but I was also running BC Racing coils at the time. I have since taken those off and am back to stock suspension (well, I still have the hotchkis sways and the GT Spec FSTB) so I am anxious to see how the better rubber works with the stock suspension.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Thats an interesting observation regarding tires, that very well may also be the reasoning behind the floatyness of the car and similar characteristics. Now I wish I kept my snow tires so i could of used better summer rubber on these stockies..
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
I'm completely fed up with my cars lack of handling and its "boat like" stability on the road when taking turns or even merging off of off-ramps.
While disappointing that you came to this point, it's not really a surprise to you, is it, Goonz? I mean, you knew going into the AWD that you weren't getting the same suspension upgrades as the RWD Sport-package.

Either way, I'm sure the Hotchkis sway bars will make things right again.

What I'm personally curious about is how better the aftermarket sway bars are (like Hotchkis and Cusco), as compared to the OEM sport suspension. Don't suppose you've got any links to share from your research?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Here's some good info on a few brands and the stiffness vs OEM:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...sway-bars.html
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
While disappointing that you came to this point, it's not really a surprise to you, is it, Goonz? I mean, you knew going into the AWD that you weren't getting the same suspension upgrades as the RWD Sport-package.
You're right, I knew all along prior to getting the sedan that it wouldn't compare at all with my RWD sport coupe

lesson learned though, cant wait for the new coupe

Quick Reply: Hotchkis for the AWD