Parking on a hill / Using E-Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM
g37brad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking on a hill / Using E-Brake?

Hi guys,

I live in Florida so barely EVER use the e-brake or have any reason to with my automatic transmission.

Anyways today I pulled into my friends house, and he has a really big driveway that is a really steep hill, so just for the hell of it I used the e-brake.

Here's the way I did it...never really knew if there was a right way or wrong way, but I think I did it wrong?

Once I got to the top of the driveway...With my foot on the brake, I put the car into neutral...then applied the foot brake (e-brake) then shifted into PARK. Everything seemed good. Heard a little "creeking" noise after I closed the door.

When I left his house...I put my foot on the brake, shifted into neutral, and released the e-brake. Then when trying to shift into reverse, I had a very hard time pushing in the button on the shift ****...It was almost like it was stuck, or there was pressure? Once I applied a bit of pressure, I was able to go into reverse...but it just didn't seem right.

Is there a certain way to apply the e-brake? Did I cause any damage/strain?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
djguy23

you shouldnt have had a problem shifting into R thats weird..usually i just put it in park then apply the brake..but dont see why putting it in N would be a bad idea to apply it also
Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Usually put it into park, then apply the E brake.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Parking: Brake > Shift to P > Ebrake > Release brake

Leaving: Brake > Shift to D/R > release Ebrake
Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my 2 cents:

no matter the situation (even on inclines) this is how i park my car:
brake(hold) > neutral > let go of brake and let the car roll a little (while in neutral) > EASE INTO brake(hold) > parking brake > ebrake (if necessary)
-the reason why started doing this neutral business is because if you go straight Drive > Brake > Parking brake, on the next time you start your car and go from Parking brake > Reverse/Drive the car has some sort of trouble to get into gear and makes a loud CLUNK sound. it is especially loud on cold days. turn off your music and try to listen to it. to my experience, the addtl neutral method solves this.

getting the car into drive:
brake(hold) > release EBrake > Reverse/Drive
-if you previously have the clunk sound problem this should go away and shifting into Reverse/Drive should feel alot easier... kinda like butter smooth.

-youre doing every fine dont worry about it. the creaking noise is normal... thats how you know youre ebrake is working haha
-your "hard time pushing the shift **** button" has NOTHING to do with this. i can guarantee you. the first time i EVER drove the G (test drive) i had this problem. it seems to be an inherent problem of many Gs and occurs when you press on the brakes too fast and try to shift out simultaneously. make sure you have your foot firmly on the brake before you engage the button.

Last edited by jujubii; 04-16-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Riley
Registered Member

actually there's a really perfect method to park an auto transmission car...
not doing it this way can actually leave pressure on the parking pawl in the tranny and this makes the clunk that you hear... and hard to get out of park.

Here's how to do this correctly:

1) move tranny from D to N keeping foot on the "driving" brake
2) apply the e-brake till it holds the car (put on firmly)
3) remove your foot from the driving brake (car still in N and the e-brake holding you, it will move slightly as it "loads up")
4) now place in P

What you have done is loaded the e-brake/car so that only the e-brake is holding you and NOT the parking pawl. the car is still protected with the tranny in park if the ebrake fails but it's not resting on the parking pawl.

if you go straight to P from D and then put the e-brake on, it will likely load/hold on the parking pawl before the e-brake can load up and grab the weight of car (it always shifts a bit).

It sounds a little harder than it is but it's now second nature to me and all my kids that I have taught to drive. it's funny how this isn't well understood but my son's driving instructor also taught people to do this and was amazed that my son already knew this on his first lesson.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jujubii
my 2 cents:

no matter the situation (even on inclines) this is how i park my car:
brake(hold) > neutral > let go of brake and let the car roll a little (while in neutral) > EASE INTO brake(hold) > parking brake > ebrake (if necessary)
-the reason why started doing this neutral business is because if you go straight Drive > Brake > Parking brake, on the next time you start your car and go from Parking brake > Reverse/Drive the car has some sort of trouble to get into gear and makes a loud CLUNK sound. it is especially loud on cold days. turn off your music and try to listen to it. to my experience, the addtl neutral method solves this.

getting the car into drive:
brake(hold) > release EBrake > Reverse/Drive
-if you previously have the clunk sound problem this should go away and shifting into Reverse/Drive should feel alot easier... kinda like butter smooth.

-youre doing every fine dont worry about it. the creaking noise is normal... thats how you know youre ebrake is working haha
-your "hard time pushing the shift **** button" has NOTHING to do with this. i can guarantee you. the first time i EVER drove the G (test drive) i had this problem. it seems to be an inherent problem of many Gs and occurs when you press on the brakes too fast and try to shift out simultaneously. make sure you have your foot firmly on the brake before you engage the button.
funny I think we are saying the same thing...

i was going to add that this prevents that horrible sound that you hear when people pull their cars out of park on a hill.

I should have added, get the car out of Park before relleasing the e-brake.

Basically think about what's happenigng inside the tranny when you put in park, there's a small pin (Pawl) that drops into a slot to hold it. That pin will have sideways pressure on it if you are on a hill. People have destroyed that pin by not following the procedure.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I go Foot on the regular brake -> ebrake -> shift from drive to park.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Riley
not doing it this way can actually leave pressure on the parking pawl in the tranny and this makes the clunk that you hear... and hard to get out of park.

3) remove your foot from the driving brake (car still in N and the e-brake holding you, it will move slightly as it "loads up")
4) now place in P

What you have done is loaded the e-brake/car so that only the e-brake is holding you and NOT the parking pawl. the car is still protected with the tranny in park if the ebrake fails but it's not resting on the parking pawl.

if you go straight to P from D and then put the e-brake on, it will likely load/hold on the parking pawl before the e-brake can load up and grab the weight of car (it always shifts a bit).

It sounds a little harder than it is but it's now second nature to me and all my kids that I have taught to drive. it's funny how this isn't well understood but my son's driving instructor also taught people to do this and was amazed that my son already knew this on his first lesson.
Thats exactly how apply my e- brake. I use it everytime I park my car. The OP did everything right but he didnt release the brake pedal before shifting into park.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:27 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
brake park then ebrake
Old 04-17-2011, 03:33 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riley

4) now place in P

Do it every time.....proper way of using the ebrake.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
^ + 1.