Brake squeal solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Squeel... how about "street bedded" Carbotech XP12's that I run?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
^ ha, i bet!

Mine still do an initial squeal as well when I back out of the driveway....
Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 PM
MacEZ
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is an ancient thread but I've been having this same issue where the brakes squeal when backing out of the garage. I've got a 2013 G37S sedan. I'm pretty sure it's never had the pads replaced since it only has 39K miles. I've been considering reapplying more brake grease on the backs of the pads because it's pretty damn loud and embarrassing.

Does anyone think adding more grease would help or is this simply something that is going to happen until I replace the pads?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:54 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Same exact thing with me and I changed and upgraded to new slotted and drilled rotors and pads. It went away for about a week but came right back.

Idk how I came to realize this but when you first start your car give it like 5 seconds and then just pump your brake like 5 or 6 times and magically the squeal is practically gone before reversing lol

I've been doing thay every morning for about 3 weeks now and it seems to work! Whenever I don't do this and forget I wake up my entire street I feel with how loud thread squeal gets its ridiculous lol

Give it a try tomorrow morning and let me know if it works for you so I can begin to spread the word lol
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (05-28-2023)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:08 PM
MacEZ
Registered Member

I'll give it a try if my tired brain can remember in the morning... quick fix anyway so that's better than no fix at all. Seems ridiculous to have to pump your brakes to keep them from squealing. It's also weird that you're having the same problem with aftermarket brakes as I thought this was just a stock brake thing.

Thanks though.. I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I may have finally solved the brake squealing problem for my vehicle. I installed new brake hardware and applied a good coat of synthetic grease on the back of the pads where it meets the caliper piston. The loud squealing is gone now even in reverse. The only time I heard the squeal come back for a few seconds was when my car sat in the garage for almost two weeks and rust built up on the rotors.

I strongly suggest changing out the brake hardware when replacing pads and/or rotors. The hardware warps over time and I think the extra play of the pads with the older hardware without sufficient lubrication causes the squealing/squeaking.

UCLAg37
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I like the squeal. Badge of "honor".
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Ironically, my neighbor's Nissan Pathfinder does this every morning in reverse. Used to think it was the garbage truck, LOL. I have no such issues but yeah a good dab of anti-squeal on the back of the pad does wonders with the OEM grade compounds. Running race pads on the street? Forget about it, nothing will help.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM
MacEZ
Registered Member

I tried Kennyz 5 times brake pumping method this morning. It only squealed halfway down the driveway instead of all the way into the street. I might go 10 tomorrow.. hahaha!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by MacEZ
I tried Kennyz 5 times brake pumping method this morning. It only squealed halfway down the driveway instead of all the way into the street. I might go 10 tomorrow.. hahaha!
I pumped three times and the squeal length was slightly reduced.

I'll live with it. I like telling people my left front brake caliper has as many pistons as all their brake calipers combined.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I have no squeeling. Rears had an issue previously. Replaced rotors and pads with Akebono ProACTs. Lubed everything and used drag reduction clips. That was about 3000 miles ago and no noise whatsoever
Old 04-21-2016, 01:25 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by MacEZ
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I pumped three times and the squeal length was slightly reduced.

I'll live with it. I like telling people my left front brake caliper has as many pistons as all their brake calipers combined.
You're welcome!

Idk why it makes a difference but it does. I pump mine like 6-8 times and get very very minimal squeaking and when I don't or forget to I end up waking my entire street.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM
InitialDeezNutz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mines installed with shims and it's starting to squeal like a pig again.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:35 AM
itzjawkneeboi

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's quite embarrassing. I park on the 4th floor at work and getting out of the garage going down the ramp is just bleeding my ears. If the lube thing/pumping on the brakes help, I will definitely try it.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by UCLAG37
I may have finally solved the brake squealing problem for my vehicle. I installed new brake hardware and applied a good coat of synthetic grease on the back of the pads where it meets the caliper piston. The loud squealing is gone now even in reverse. The only time I heard the squeal come back for a few seconds was when my car sat in the garage for almost two weeks and rust built up on the rotors.

I strongly suggest changing out the brake hardware when replacing pads and/or rotors. The hardware warps over time and I think the extra play of the pads with the older hardware without sufficient lubrication causes the squealing/squeaking.

UCLAg37
Update: After 7 months of squeal-free bliss, the squeal has returned when backing up. I'm at a loss for what the long term solution may be. I don't know if there is a design issue, brake dust build up, hardware warping, lubricant desiccation or something else. In general there does seem to be more brake pad "play" compared to other cars that I've owned.

In the next month or two, I will inspect the brakes, clean and re-lube it and see how long I can go before the squeal returns.

UCLAg37

Quick Reply: Brake squeal solved