Help - Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Help - Brake Pads?

I'm going to replace my brake pads because there running some-what low to the squeal indicator, would getting the Pads at Pep-Boys or Auto-Zone or anyone of those advance parts place any good or should I get them at a dealer? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are plenty of good aftermarket brake pads out there. Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner, etc...are all good names. However, when you go with aftermarket pads, you might end up with pads that are different in some ways than the OEM pads that came on your car. Things like excessive brake dust, noise, stopping performance are all variables that you have to consider. If you were happy with the OEM pads, then why not just pick up another set? If you weren't happy with the OEM pads for some reason, then it would make sense to go with aftermarket pads instead.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Alright thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
beerme986

dont ever buy anything from the dealer. unless your looking for hawks or real high performance pads, auto stores are fine.. they sell decent stuff
Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM
marsb007

Get the OEM replacement Akebono PROAct. That's what I replaced my stock Akebonos with and I've been very happy with them. Resurface the rotors and the squeal will be gone...
I'd stick with ceramic pads. The metallic compound from PepBoys, Napa, etc., might prematurely wear your rotors along with giving you a lot more brake dust.

I remember purchasing the brakes from A Place for Brakes in Miami... and no, I'm in no way affiliated with them, they were close to me and offered the best price.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just order some hawk or project mu pads from a vendor.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
rokuss

Originally Posted by w0ady
just order some hawk or project mu pads from a vendor.
Stay away from Hawk HPS pads. BAD initial bite. I have the project mu NS pads on my g37 and they are so much better than stock. Great initial bite and firm pedal feel.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rokuss
Stay away from Hawk HPS pads. BAD initial bite. I have the project mu NS pads on my g37 and they are so much better than stock. Great initial bite and firm pedal feel.
Where can I order some project mu pads? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM
rokuss

Originally Posted by fmrlegend
Where can I order some project mu pads? Thanks.
I got mine from b2autodesigns.com. The rears were $117 with free shipping. I have oem fronts but the Project mu NS pads get better after prolonged use. I did tons of research on reviews and prices. Endless SSY pads were my 2nd choice since I don't track. I've only had them on for a few days but brake dust is about the same or less than oem.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
would buying pads from a store only be applicable if you plan on doing the install yourself? like would it make more sense to purchase the pads from a tire shop if you plan on letting htem install them? i ask because my rotors are vibrating and i definitely need them flipped/resurfaced..so it would be pointless for me to buy pads and then bring them to a tire shop with piles of them for sale, correct?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
rokuss

Originally Posted by 08Gsmith25
would buying pads from a store only be applicable if you plan on doing the install yourself? like would it make more sense to purchase the pads from a tire shop if you plan on letting htem install them? i ask because my rotors are vibrating and i definitely need them flipped/resurfaced..so it would be pointless for me to buy pads and then bring them to a tire shop with piles of them for sale, correct?
The answer is no. I can buy any brake pad I want and take it to the dealership or any other shop and have them install them. Will they warranty the part? Probably not. Will they not install the pads? Maybe. Rotors can't be flipped and can only be resurfaced. If your rotors have already been resurfaced, it is better to buy new rotors. Pads are easy to install and there is a DIY for it. There is also a TSB for warped rotors. There is no way i'd let a tire shop install cheap, inferior pads on my car. Tons of people spend thousands to make their car faster but skimp out when it comes to stopping their car. I'm not referring to you so don't get mad. Personally, cold stopping power is the most important to me since that is what i'll be doing in an emergency or panic situation. I replace my own brakes and will spend the money for good pads. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 AM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rokuss
The answer is no. I can buy any brake pad I want and take it to the dealership or any other shop and have them install them. Will they warranty the part? Probably not. Will they not install the pads? Maybe. Rotors can't be flipped and can only be resurfaced. If your rotors have already been resurfaced, it is better to buy new rotors. Pads are easy to install and there is a DIY for it. There is also a TSB for warped rotors. There is no way i'd let a tire shop install cheap, inferior pads on my car. Tons of people spend thousands to make their car faster but skimp out when it comes to stopping their car. I'm not referring to you so don't get mad. Personally, cold stopping power is the most important to me since that is what i'll be doing in an emergency or panic situation. I replace my own brakes and will spend the money for good pads. Good luck.
so you order aftermarket pads online, install them yourself, and then when your rotors are worn out (after resurfacing) you take it to infiniti and let them replace them?

also, sorry if you already addressed, but will i have any luck getting the TSB done if i have 35K miles now?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
soccerboy2288

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum!

I took my g37S to a shop to get my front brake pads replaced, and the owner said he would recommend BENDIX pads. my G is a daily driver and i only drive it aggressively it once in a while when i need to.

I've researched alot and seems like the popular pads are hawks, proj NU, akebono proACT, etc. Do you guys think getting these brake pads opposed to the bendix (which wasnt brought up too often in these threads) will significantly affect my driving? from other sites bendix seem to be pretty solid brake pads as well. any input would be appreciated, thanks!!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
carloskamikazi

Hi Does anyone knows what will be a normal wear of the back break pads for a g37 2010... I'm having a squeeking sound and the car only have 20K miles and the dealer told me i need to change them..

I went to the dealer to have my break check because of a Squeaking Sound.. The Dealer Brake lathe the back discs @ 16k miles.. but did not change the pads.. the sound went of for about a week and then started again.. I return to the dealer a couple of weeks after and the say now that they have to Brake lathe the back disc again and change the Brake pads.. I told that for me is a little bit unusual to have the disc Brake lathe or rectifying the disc at this small millage that the cars have. i also think this will shorten the disc life.

Does any one knows if this is recommendable or if there is any problems with the brake disc on the 2010 g37 unit?? also what is the normal wear millage of the rear disc pad??

Thanks..
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Advance Auto Parts: Brake Pads and Shoes -

Find a coupon somewhere online.
You can get all 4 corners for $100 shipped.

Quick Reply: Help - Brake Pads?