Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

What to do about the worn out steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Tony Ferguson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do about the worn out steering wheel

What did you guys do about the worn out steering wheel? Just got a 2008 g37s 140km and the steering wheel is worn out, not completely, just where that usual spot where between the wheel and the air bag. I have some ideas and I know this is common i wanted to see what yall did.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:58 PM
CJ1957
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You have a couple of options. You can remove it, sand it down and paint it or you could wrap it.
While I was there with the CF wrap, I covered my door pulls and my AT shift **** center cover.
Here's a link to removing the steering wheel to get at the cover.
I removed mine and wrapped the cover with 3M CF from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DIDTY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DIDTY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With that many miles, you might want to also re-cover the steering wheel.
Here's a link to a the steering wheel cover I used and it was perfect:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2M4E8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2M4E8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by CJ1957; 03-22-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-22-2019, 07:01 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There's a black one for sale in the Classifieds forum.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...heel-trim.html
Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Tony Ferguson

Originally Posted by CJ1957
While I was there with the CF wrap, I covered my door pulls and my AT shift **** center cover.
Very nice, on a scale of 1 - 10 how hard was it to make it look that good?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Tony Ferguson

Thanks, didn't know you could buy that part
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 PM
CJ1957
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Ferguson
Very nice, on a scale of 1 - 10 how hard was it to make it look that good?
Which one, the CF on the center cover or the steering wheel leather cover? I'll talk about both.

The CF on the center cover and door pulls was easier than I thought. I've never used wrap but figured out the best method for these smaller pieces was to clamp a heat gun in a vise pointed downward at an angle on medium heat. As I needed to make the wrap more pliable, I moved the cover into the flow and stretched it as I went along not having to pick up, turn on, turn off and lay the heat gun back down. Hopefully I conveyed that visually enough and I scaled it at a 3.

On the Steering wheel leather cover and if you have never done it, plan on at least 3-5 hours of steady stitching. I counted 240 stitches in total. If you really want it to look good, it pays off taken your time and being ****. There's a lot more detail on doing it perfect and one of the most important parts is fitting the leather over the wheel and using a lot of the double sided tape to hold the new skin in place before stitching it on. I guess the scale for me was an 8.

The following users liked this post:
Tony Ferguson (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Woodlands Ed

Different Color Wheel Question

I am looking for aftermarket steering wheel replacement or wrapping options.

But I have the stone color interior, which has the steering wheel airbag and button covers in that taupe color, not black. So, most of the “order our wheel and return your when replaced” options (e.g., like Redline or Vortex) won’t work because of the mismatch in colors.

Has anyone come up with a solution you like, or a vendor they can recommend?

Thx, WE
Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Woodlands, you actually have to transfer all the components (airbag and button covers) to the new wheel. I also have the stone interior, I purchased the wheel from one the forum members (Ryne).
I received the new wrapped wheel, transferred all the components to the new wheel and sent my wheel back.

The picture below shows what the replacement wheel looks like when it is shipped to you.

g/l

Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 PM
Woodlands Ed

Thanks for the Picture

I have seen Ryne’s name in several posts on the forum. I’ll check it out. I assume that he could do something similar with a stone color leather? How does the black look with your interior?

Thanks, WE
Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
My wheel was originally black, so I got a black wheel with white stitching.
I really like the way it looks, the wheel feels really good too.

g/l
Old 03-31-2019, 11:42 PM
Tony Ferguson

Which one, the CF on the center cover or the steering wheel leather cover? I'll talk about both.

The CF on the center cover and door pulls was easier than I thought. I've never used wrap but figured out the best method for these smaller pieces was to clamp a heat gun in a vise pointed downward at an angle on medium heat. As I needed to make the wrap more pliable, I moved the cover into the flow and stretched it as I went along not having to pick up, turn on, turn off and lay the heat gun back down. Hopefully I conveyed that visually enough and I scaled it at a 3.

On the Steering wheel leather cover and if you have never done it, plan on at least 3-5 hours of steady stitching. I counted 240 stitches in total. If you really want it to look good, it pays off taken your time and being ****. There's a lot more detail on doing it perfect and one of the most important parts is fitting the leather over the wheel and using a lot of the double sided tape to hold the new skin in place before stitching it on. I guess the scale for me was an 8.

Thanks for the help, Just ordered some carbon fiber for the center and door pulls. Hopefully comes out as good as yours lol