Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...oard-leak.html

Another
Old 10-24-2018, 03:56 PM
03Mach69Mach
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...nger-side.html

One more. It's very common and was discussed very much with a lot of disinformation about where the water comes from. All have one thing in common, sunroof.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:34 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you so much! I will definitely take a look at those and hopefully get this car dialed!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

This is their official diagnostics I guess

It doesn't really make sense. According to them, the drain tubes are fine but because of the sunroof seal, too much water comes in and floods the tubes to where they fail? So wouldn't the issue be the drain tube since the point of them is to evacuate the water in the tray?! Lmao
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Hopefully, this will be the last update:

I ended up attempting the straw method due to my lack of time and tools. Rained pretty heavily on Wednesday and no water at all. I guess I should've gone with my guts and just try the fix. I couldn't figure out exactly where it came from so I was a bit hesitant in trying to fix it. Whelp, lesson learned! Thank you guys so much for the help and thanks to this forum for having the resources we need for whatever question arises!
Old 11-06-2018, 04:33 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I finally changed my tubes from a-pillar down. Passenger teed into the ac drain line and drivers through hole. Seeing water through both while driving in the rain- so good. Still have water in the passenger well (no interior right now - car is LOUD) and it is wet on the mat on the pass. side firewall, kinda under the ac fan. Can the blower fan leak or does it have its own drain?

Edit - no water on new line, tee, or ac drain line - just insulating mat and the floorboard well.

Also - how hard is to get access to or into the ac main box to scrub for mildew?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:42 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Bump for access to main condenser to sterilize?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently had this problem as well and did the straw method - however, it did not work for me and eventually my car passenger side started to soak. I used silicone on my yellow plastic grommet/nipple to secure the black gasket (my yellow grommet/nipple only had 2 secure latches). When I did this - it didn't work for me.

The second time I attempted to fix this - I bought a brand new yellow grommet/nipple that inserts into the firewall which was $14 from eBay (has 4 latches to secure against the firewall vs the prior 2 latches on my old grommet/nipple). My a-pillar tube also had very slight lacerations near where it attaches to the grommet, so I decided to use some electrical tape to seal it better. When I did my test (water down the sunroof drain) - I noticed heavy water was seeping through the engine compartment right where the grommet attaches to the firewall and then dropped down through the wheel well.

My car has been through two heavy rain storms and I haven't noticed any significant flooding, --yet.

I also noticed that my window seal isn't great anymore and lets some water seep through and splashes onto the door foot sill and creates a very small puddle that COULD technically drip down into my carpet area - so this will be my next replacement if I haven't already fixed the problem.

Anyway - I would never pay the dealer for this install, let alone over $1k. It's fairly simple to take apart everything (foot sill, glove compartment, passenger air unit, a-pillar, seat, and lift carpet). Just make sure your battery is off when you remove the a-pillar because there is an airbag somewhere in that pillar I read. It sounds like a lot - but it'll take only around 3-4 hours of your first time. My second time took about 1.5hrs.

Good luck - PM if any questions
Old 11-27-2018, 12:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

While I could see the firewall grommet I couldn't get a finger on it. I got a borescope back there to look things over and wasn't impressed with the engineering. So I bypassed - passenger T'd into AC drain and drivers into the floorboard. No more water in the car, and I don't have any carpet or interior at the moment so I'd see it.

Honestly, kinda mesmerizing watching water run down the a-pillar tubes in a heavy rain while driving.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM
ikbb

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think the problem is the large set of cables that go through a boot behind the battery. remove the cowl and silicone that bad boy. i had an ECU get wet and had to replace it because water got in it.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (05-10-2020)
Old 04-30-2019, 03:44 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Fixed the sunroof drain today. Months ago, I silicon'd the AC drain and the wire harness grommet, and that kept water out... until last week, when the passenger drain decided to die.

I did the same mod that most did. Took some Polypropylene tubing (a bic pen also works), and extended the drain part so it will always go down the correct side of the firewall... Glued it in with superglue, silicon'd the crap out of it, including the side parts where it was leaking by the dry rotted gasket. Couldn't get a new gasket, so I hit it with RTV stuff instead. Also ziptied the very loose fitting tubing to the plastic clip, just in case... For the final step; Find a helper with tiny hands or very long fingers, a small child would work well to get the drain clipped back in place.

Since I don't have a wet-vac, I soaked up the pools of water, and got a bunch of damp-rid canisters that are sitting in the floorboards/firewall to suck up the water in the insulation. On a summer weekend, I'll tear down the whole interior, fix all the drains, pull the seats, and properly deal with the flooding.

Tbh; if your model is 5+ yr old just do this for peace of mind
All my electrics are completely soaked, so lucky my ECUs didn't die and cost me my first child in repairs.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I’m trying to get rid of my G37 for this exact reason. That water leak is really annoying and I’m not handy enough to take apart the dash.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:13 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I’m trying to get rid of my G37 for this exact reason. That water leak is really annoying and I’m not handy enough to take apart the dash.
This fix is one of the easiest I've done on this car, trim comes off easy, and clips aren't all that fragile... only hard parts are the funny little T clip holding onto the A-pillar and actually reaching the drain tube! I solved it with a pair of long reach needle nose pliers. I had no problem with the airbag in there.
This is the best YouTube video I've found. Pt1 &
& pt2

I say take a whack at it, really only takes an hour or so, but If you're not confident in doing it, I'd take care of it sooner than later... Almost all the ECUs and BCMs are on the passenger side wall right under the leaking drain. Fried computers are $$$$ and you'll have to pay more for labor too.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost all the ECUs and BCMs are on the passenger side wall right under the leaking drain. Fried computers are $$$$ and you'll have to pay more for labor too.

I had a windshield replaced (look up the thread) in 11-2018. Unbeknownst to me it was leaking and caused a fuse box and ECM issue. They had to be replaced, TWICE, paid for by Safelite Windshield. Because it leaked after it was repaired the 1st time they resealed the windshield and paid again. The cost was $900 the 1st time, and the 2nd time the BCM had to be replaced also. Safelite installed another windshield and i watched the install, as well as helped the tech. test for water leaks. Also he put a black rubber seal around the wire harness coming into the car passenger side by the battery as it was loose, possibly from the dealer BCM repair. I am sure the windshield is now properly installed. Car still leaks on the passenger side after a rain, or car wash. 2 things; the opening to the air filter under the cowling was wet so i am repairing/replacing the cowling. The rubber insulation is ratty. I think it is the sunroof drain even though the water runs out the bottom. For now i plugged the passenger side front drain hole. I will try the repair for the drain hose but this is a serious Infiniti problem. I am thinking of forming a class action suit against Infiniti for their poor design and denial and lies about normal leakage. I see threads from 09 that owners had leaking sunroofs on new cars. Unacceptable. I will follow up.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ctng37
So I notice the leak around March or April. Since then, I have tried to hose down the sunroof to check if water came through. I even took a cup and poured straight into the drain and no water was coming through. Then I tried the firewall grommet. Poured water all around it and no water came through again so I thought it was somehow magically resolved.

Fast forwards till July-August. I discovered water there again. This time, I dumped a whole bucket off water on top of the car and hosed down the same firewall area with no leaks at all. This time around, I tried sealing the ac drain tube again since I noticed that it was moist from that area.

Now today. Water is still somehow getting into the car. I didn't notice it after heavy rain. It didn't even rain today but I found water under my mats. I'm really lost right now....

Does anyone have any ideas to help resolve the issue? Is there another way to test the grommet or sunroof for a leak? I assume it's a slow leak since even after heavy rain, there was no noticeable water collecting under the mats. The car is a 2012 sedan 6mt and the water is coming from under the carpet of the car. Like from the styrofoam up. There are no signs of water coming from the glove box or on top of my rubber floormats. All of the water was under the car's carpet.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...rd-leak-2.html
Scroll way down the thread until.you see a plastic T fitting with tubing. There will be how to fix it. Seal around the rubber harness grommet with clear silicone under the battery tray-cover also. Its probably getting in from there.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Water Leak. Tried to Fix Multiple Times