Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Morimoto XB LED fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Morimoto XB LED fog lights

I know there are members who have installed these in their sedans. Boy was it a bitch to mess with the mounting bracket to add spacers to make sure the was no gap between the chrome trim and glass when installed.

Anywho, as for aiming them, easy enough with the setscrew but how high to aim them?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
It's a pretty small gap. Most people just deal, so you're the first person I've read who's addressed it.

How'd you do it?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Snaoum
Registered Member

So I added washers and or nuts between the bracket and actual light. This pushes the light out further from bumper. The two sides required different amount of spacer thickness. You will also need longer m6 bolts to be able to screw the fog light to the car.

Again my question is how high do I adjust/aim them
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Anyone? Still unclear on aiming these. Any input on how high to aim them would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:22 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I installed the newest Morimoto XB LED fogs on my coupe, they no longer have adjustment screws, and they now have a DRL/City Light in them (3rd wire), and the bulb connector is preassembled. BTW, mine fit perfectly, no gaps on fog bezels and aim seems spot on.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Yah mine does not have the DRL stuff but does have the adjustment screw.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 PM
C-G37
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Aim on mine is way too low. They look pretty though. I'm the new design so no adjustment screw.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

I tested my Morimoto LED fogs when I received them, and found that they only draw 5 watts each. Current LED technology only produces about 100 lumens per watt, so the Morimoto LED fogs are only good for about 500 lumens each. To me, this is weak, and not in line with the claims made by Morimoto or vendors. These are definitely great looking fogs, but they're not as bright as they could be. I even contacted Morimoto about it and their tech support was like "yeah, so......"

Old 07-24-2018, 09:47 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
does morimoto manufacture their own stuff or is it just fancy repackaged chinese stuff?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
does morimoto manufacture their own stuff or is it just fancy repackaged chinese stuff?
Yes, they are just repacking Chinese fogs now. The TRS website for these fogs states "1200 raw lumens per side" which would require about 12 watts of power at current LED efficiency levels (100lumens/watt) or if they are running the best BIN of Luxeon T LED at 140lumens/watt would still require nearly 9 watts of power draw, but I measured the latest "Morimoto XB fogs" at just 5 watts. I even accused the vendor of selling me fake XBs, here's my emails with them:
The Retrofit Source <support@theretrofitsource.com>To:Jason
May 28 at 11:03 AM
Zach (The Retrofit Source)

May 18, 13:31 EDT
Hello again Jason!To be perfectly honest i'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be any verbiage about the wattage in the listing. All I have to go off of is those Philips Luxeon T chips being used, and found this link; https://www.usa.philips.com/a-w/abou..._LUXEON_T.htmlLooking at the website though, it does look like they've updated the images since the original version that lacked the DRL function, and picture what I went and pictured, already.Let us know if there's any other questions you have!

Zach @ TRS

Jason

May 18, 11:47 EDT
Zach,
I measured current at 400mA at 12.5vdc, that would be just 5 watts. These can't produce more than 600 lumens at the current state of LED tech available. Are your new ones also 5 watts?
JasonSent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Zach (The Retrofit Source)

May 18, 11:38 EDT
Hello Jason!Thanks for the email and follow up here! It sounds like those are perfectly genuine. While I don't know who that seller may be, that's one of Morimoto's boxes, and even one of our barcode stickers on the box in your picture.I've attached pictures of what the current product on the shelf looks like for you to compare. Morimoto switched the design slightly, at the same time they reintroduced the Honda fog lights. That extra wire is simply meant to function as an optional DRL. Wire it to whatever power source you'd like to be the trigger for that mode, but it's purely optional.Looking at it all, it looks like you've got an authentic piece! Our website just doesn't reflect the most up to date version of the product yet.Sorry for the confusion!

Zach @ TRS

Attachment(s)
IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4296.jpg

Jason

May 18, 09:56 EDT
Hi Charlie,
Here's the link: NEW MORIMOTO XB ANGLED LED FOG LIGHTS 2006 - 2010 INFINITI M35 / M45 | eBay

|
|
|
| $ 130.00 | |

|

|
|
| |
NEW MORIMOTO XB ANGLED LED FOG LIGHTS 2006 - 2010 INFINITI M35 / M45 | eBay
Are well-built. Have a virtually infinite life span. FOG LIGHTS: 2x Type N Morimoto XB LED. BUNDLED: SWAG: Morim... | |

|

|

In the listing, you'll see they mix up a few authentic XB pics with their fakes. After searching eBay a bit, I found that the fakes are actually these: Fit 2004-2016 Nissan Sentra Infiniti G37 LED Fog Light Kit with DRL, Wire Switch | eBay
|
|
|
| $ 89.98 | |

|

|
|
| |
Fit 2004-2016 Nissan Sentra Infiniti G37 LED Fog Light Kit with DRL, Wire S...
Left and Right side Fog light with Built-in LED along with DRL function. 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe and Convertible... | |

|

|

I tested them, and the 3rd wire is a DRL. Also, the LED fogs I received only draw 5 watts each, far less than actual XB fogs.
Here's a pic of the box they arrived in:

Once I get my refund on these, I'll be buying directly from you guys. Learned my lesson!
Jason
From: The Retrofit Source <support@theretrofitsource.com>
To: Jason
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2018 6:41 AM
Subject: [The Retrofit Source] Re: Fake Morimoto XB LED fogs being sold on eBay? I just purchased

#yiv2922593467 table td {border-collapse:collapse;}#yiv2922593467 body .filtered99999 .yiv2922593467directional_text_wrapper {direction:rtl;unicode-bidi:embed;}
Attachment(s)
fake.jpg

Charlie (The Retrofit Source)

May 18, 09:41 EDT
Hey Jason,Thanks for the info, can you please send us a link so we can pass that on to Morimoto for you. We have pictures of all Morimoto's fog lights on our site as well to help ID them.Just let us know,

Charlie

Jason

Issue:
Topic:
Subject: Fake Morimoto XB LED fogs being sold on eBay? I just purchased
Comments: Fake Morimoto XB LED fogs being sold on eBay?
I just purchased "Morimoto XB" LED fogs, Infiniti angled on eBay, received them today. They really seem fake. The connectors were pre-assembled, I think your genuine XBs the connectors are un-assembled so polarity may be determined and correctly assembled?
Also, each fog has a 3rd, yellow wire with a single pole connector and a harness to bridge them, or something. Possibly a DRL?
I also noticed the lenses are not marked the same as what your website pics show.Are you guys aware of fakes circulating on eBay? Does my purchase seem to be fake XBs?

If you need any more info, I'll be happy to provide it.

Also, here is an eBay listing for the exact same fogs as the Motimotos for $80 less than Morimotos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECT-FIT-...sid=m570.l1313
Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Oh OK bc those style fogs are all over Alibaba for cheap. I went on morimoto site they don't even have the fogs on their site. Did I look wrong?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:37 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
Oh OK bc those style fogs are all over Alibaba for cheap. I went on morimoto site they don't even have the fogs on their site. Did I look wrong?
Infiniti (Angled): XB LED - Fog Lights from Morimoto HID