Review Z-Style Front Grill from Outcast Garage - MyG37

Z-Style Front Grill from Outcast Garage

Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
corey.grizzle

Z-Style Front Grill from Outcast Garage

I didn't like the look I was getting from painting the OEM grill and saw this Z-Style grill and loved the look of it. Now there is ZERO badging on the outside of my car save for the center caps. Adds a 'mysterious' feel to it, lol... I bought this at a discount through CarSponsors and Outcast Garage was on point with emails and tracking information. Large box, looked to be packed well. There was no damage during shipping. A few places needed some sanding, but after that I scuffed it and laid paint.

I couldn't get my clear to act right, however, so let my father-in-law spray the clear at his body shop. The fit is good, there are no funny gaps. It came with a few bolts at the attachment points, but they were not compatible with the OEM nuts as they were too small. I ended up just zip tying it all the mounting points and haven't had any trouble from it. I love the look of this thing!

As always, please excuse the dirtyness of my vehicle...
corey.grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corey.grizzle For This Useful Post:
blnewt (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Flannigan

Glad it fit, but it looks super weird to me that there are two grilles on the front end with different style mesh now. I think if the mesh on the new grill was thicker it would look way better. That said, if you like it that's all that matters!
Flannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
STownSaint

All aftermarket grills come with that awful, wire mesh. Do yourself a favor and swap out the mesh with this stuff, nearly matches OEM lower grille and is much less see-thru due to the added thickness

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-X-47-UNI...ZZuvRL&vxp=mtr

STownSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STownSaint For This Useful Post:
corey.grizzle (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
corey.grizzle

I agree with both of you, and already on it! Just waiting till I get some time. Super busy lately. Renovating the front of the house, have to finish my detached office by the end of the year so I can right it off on taxes. Kids' playground. Building a solid front axle 2000 Z71 Tahoe. Not to mention a newborn, 3 year old, and a 5 year old....

Here's a pic of the mesh I got. I like it, feels thick and sturdy. Planning on doing the lower grill with it as well.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
blnewt
Modr8r & DIY cheapsk8

Thanked 4,314 Times in 3,668 Posts
Nice job on the write-up Corey, look forward to seeing the new mesh installed, and now you need a beefy CAI behind that grill
blnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
saywat?

i dont like the openess of it. the emblem helps make it look better
saywat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
corey.grizzle

@blnewt- Been emailing back and forth with Z1 the past couple of days getting a plan up. You can expect to see a Z1 CAI with the racing filters probably within the next year. I'm currently "liquidating" a couple of firearms towards buying the full tuning software package.

@saywat?- I want to put Danzig's emblem on it but can't find one of good quality yet. I'll probably end up getting one custom cut on a burn table. I think that would look pretty mean in front of two massive CAI inverted cone filters.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
DeanMachine

Do you happen to have a before/after series of pics? I'm currently in the process of trading between getting mine painted gloss or satin black or buying an aftermarket one like yours.
DeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote