Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Cooled seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Cooled seats

Hoping someone here might have attempted this or found a direct swap from the m37. Basically I want to add some fans to my perforated leather G seats.

The electrical part of it would be easy, it's more so the execution. Do I cut channels out of the bottom seat foam and install many smaller fans? Or do I cut a larger portion out and put a 250mm fan in with lots of drilled holes.

Looks like there are some kits online but they leave a bit to be desired. Might grab an oem seat cushion off eBay and hack away.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
QX70 seats are also cooled and very similar to the G37 seats (I own both cars). It'd probably take a total retrofit of all the parts into the stock seats.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 AM
djdiskino

That's what I was looking at but I think I could pull this off with some quiet round PC fans maybe 4 or 5 of them and some ducting made out of thin flexible plastic like those cheap thin cutting board surfaces they sell at IKEA for a dollar. The ducting would be to pull cool air from below the seat.

I guess if I really wanted I could run a couple tubes and tap the AC vent somewhere and force it to one of those ducts with some baffling. This might be a project for next summer.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 PM
sewlman2
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Having help developer cooling system for Ag and construction seating, our system use 4 fans per seat and 4 per back. A hole is cut in the foam below each fan. A spacer fabric is placed above the fans to distribute the air to the perforated leather.
There are aftermarket systems available which I believe includes fans, spacer fabric, switches and wiring, instructions included
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
You have me considering doing this to my car. The cooled seats work really well in my QX70S. Probably isn't that hard to install but probably a nightmare to acquire stock Infiniti donor parts to make the conversion. Wonder if the aftermarket kits would work with the Infiniti adjustment *****. Time to hit the seat schematics.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 AM
djdiskino

Interesting, my only concern at this point is getting the seat out and getting the seat skin off the foam seat. Also not sure how are heated seats are coiled but I could foresee this being an issue. Anyone have any pictures of what it looks like without the leather on our seats?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM
All G'd Up
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI the G37 vert comes with cooled seats. The buttons in the center are blue and red but other than that I don't know what the difference in the seats are to get them to be cooled.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The heating element looks almost like a cloth bag, with thin carbon stiching running through it. The stiching forms a pattern and is heated when power is applied. They are stiched into the inside of the seat skins. They can be carefully unstiched and removed and reinstalled, but in order to keep them from moving around, you would want to restich to the inner skin, or glue the heating bag to the foam on the seat. That said, if you have heated seats, air could flow through the material, but the fans would need to be strong. Theoretically you could cut small air holes into the foam and it should pass air through the skins. You would want to be carefull though, to many holes and you lose the support of the foam, and the lower cushion will sink over time....