MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Body Interior Exterior Lighting (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-314/)
-   -   Aluminum under tray? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/283195-aluminum-under-tray.html)

HotSawce 06-10-2017 08:08 PM

Aluminum under tray?

Is the main and only benefit of an aluminum under tray increased rigidity for when mounting a splitter? I just purchased a splitter for my car and am wonderign if I should also get the under tray.

Surfnazi 06-11-2017 08:33 AM

Did you buy a salvaged car

blnewt 06-11-2017 10:14 AM

The under-tray may add some rigidity, but there's already plenty of structural support in that area w/ the full engine cradle. The aluminum tray will obviously hold up much better over time if you drive a lowered vehicle that can put that tray in harms way.

FWIW I'd rather have a plastic one in my situation, when I do a light scrape on a high speed bump I'd much rather hear a light swoosh of plastic vs. asphalt, compared w/ the dramatic grinding of metal there, but that's just me :)

jpowersjr2 06-11-2017 01:17 PM

I have this:
ZSpeed Performance Aluminum Engine Splash Shield G37 Nissan

After owning this, I'll never go back to the OEM one. I know you will never see it but whenever I go to change my oil, I'm always pleased when I see it. Plus it's two bolts to take off for the access panel to the oil filter and drain plug.

FlashGuy 06-11-2017 11:27 PM

^

I have the same and bought it for the same reason. Saves time and mess when changing the oil.

Ape Factory 06-12-2017 10:01 AM

WHY Infiniti insists on always designing their cars this way is beyond me. I get you can inspect other stuff while you're down there but I've already managed to tear two tabs on my car and I'm careful.

saywat? 06-13-2017 08:53 PM

ugh doesnt all cars have some sort of plastic engine splash guard? wat is the issue you are having? the fact that theres 20 something bolts to undo to get the guard off? lol i hate that fact over 20 is a bit excessive

xnick101 06-14-2017 11:32 AM

You don't need the aluminum under tray to mount a splitter. Most people that runs these do for two reasons. 1. They are slammed and these can take a hit while the plastic one rips. 2. Easier to do oil changes.

The Pope 06-20-2017 07:36 AM

I normally just drop the shield all together for full access when doing an oil & filter change. So is the access opening in this aluminum shield larger than the one in the OEM shield?

takeapieandrun 06-22-2017 03:03 AM

I hate the plastic under tray, it so many bolts to undo for simple things like greasing my bushing or changing the oil. Somehow, after driving lowered for 3 years, mine just recently got a hole ripped in it..

FlashGuy 06-23-2017 12:30 AM

The opening in the ZSpeed shield is much larger.

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 4141425)
I normally just drop the shield all together for full access when doing an oil & filter change. So is the access opening in this aluminum shield larger than the one in the OEM shield?