Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Need help with paint chip!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:20 AM
joeg37x

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Need help with paint chip!! :(

Hi everyone so I recently purchased a preowned Q50 with 17000 miles on it really love the car & new VR30 motor But as I was washing it today I notice a good size paint chip on top of the roof with rust already on it like it's been there for a while So my question is since I got this car a week ago to be exact should I contact dealer about this to see if they can fix it ? Thank you in advance 🙏🏼
Old 05-21-2017, 02:39 AM
joeg37x

Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Id contact the dealership and Infiniti motors
The following users liked this post:
joeg37x (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:18 PM
joeg37x

Yes that's what I did they asked for a pic & they'll get back at me asap. Hopefully it goes good ����
Old 05-25-2017, 11:19 AM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I purchased my 2013 G37x certified preowned from Infiniti dealer back in October of 2016. About a month ago, the paint started peeling by the headlight, bumper/hood where they meet, and along the rear passage door frame. Like odd spots were painted for some reason. The front bumper is now showing a wave pattern. I was PISSED. I was shown clean car fax and explained the car had nothing wrong with it in any way when purchased. I bought it with less then 20K miles. I took it back and the service said someone repainted the bumper. They checked their records and of course nothing. I talked to the used sales manager and the dealership has been ignoring my inquiries too. It is awful and am very disappointed in the way this is being handled. I may be forced to just have it done myself since factory warranty only covers corrosion. I took it to another Infiniti dealer and they refused to touch it. Upsetting.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by g37x2013
I purchased my 2013 G37x certified preowned from Infiniti dealer back in October of 2016. About a month ago, the paint started peeling by the headlight, bumper/hood where they meet, and along the rear passage door frame. Like odd spots were painted for some reason. The front bumper is now showing a wave pattern. I was PISSED. I was shown clean car fax and explained the car had nothing wrong with it in any way when purchased. I bought it with less then 20K miles. I took it back and the service said someone repainted the bumper. They checked their records and of course nothing. I talked to the used sales manager and the dealership has been ignoring my inquiries too. It is awful and am very disappointed in the way this is being handled. I may be forced to just have it done myself since factory warranty only covers corrosion. I took it to another Infiniti dealer and they refused to touch it. Upsetting.
Contact corprate offices. Like nissan north America but the infiniti
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
Id contact the dealership and Infiniti motors
Dealership sure, but why Infiniti? It's a rock chip not a paint defect. I've got tons of them.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:23 AM
Strokelessone
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I purchased mine pre-owned as well, they stated it was accident free and had a clean car fax. 2 months later it started rusting in the rear quarter panel/rear bumper area. Apparently it was rear ended, and cheaply fixed. Ended up costing me $3500 to have it all fixed properly. Let the dealership know, they didn't do a damn thing. Just had to post a bad review on them. Car fax is a scam as well, pretty much useless and won't do anything for the customer unless it is "major"
joeg37x (05-29-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM
BigEDGE02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely see if the dealer will take care of it first, if not you'll need to stop that rust and fill the chip ASAP before it continues under the surrounding paint. I've used a rust converter, think it was by PlastiKote, on a similar chip before which worked pretty good. Cleaned out as much of the loose rust as I could first then dabbed this stuff in the chip. It basically neutralized the rust and acts as kind of a pre-primer that you can prime or paint right over top of.

I ordered some paint matched touch-up paint and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com and filled in the chip and cleared over it. You can definitely still tell that there was a chip there, but there's really no way (that I know of at least) to make a chip like that completely disappear without sanding it down and respraying the panel. So this at least stopped the rust from spreading and chip is filled which looks way better than it used to.
joeg37x (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
joeg37x

So yea I went to dealership & they did not wanna fix it all they said was to add touch up paint to the chip & guy I talked to said it was okay to leave the rust what a dummy I'm pretty OCD with my car it has to go asap.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by joeg37x
So yea I went to dealership & they did not wanna fix it all they said was to add touch up paint to the chip & guy I talked to said it was okay to leave the rust what a dummy I'm pretty OCD with my car it has to go asap.

If I were you, I would not just add touch up paint to cover it. I would first clean it off and make sure most of the rusts are scrapped off. Then add a coat of rust inhibitor before painting it over.

If you just paint over it, the rust would eat the car from the inside out.
joeg37x (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
It won't spread. Come live somewhere with lots of winter and lots of gravel on the roads. Other than all the cracked/chipped windshields, rock chips like these are on almost all cars on the road. I just paint over mine, most people never bother fixing them.
joeg37x (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:16 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
It won't spread. Come live somewhere with lots of winter and lots of gravel on the roads. Other than all the cracked/chipped windshields, rock chips like these are on almost all cars on the road. I just paint over mine, most people never bother fixing them.
Well, I live in Chicago. We are salted to death here every winter. The rust will spread if not taken care of properly. If OP intends to keep his car for a long time, it is best to take care of it properly.

I've seen it first hand and personally experienced it on my 2002 Ford Mustang GT (which I still have).
joeg37x (05-30-2017)