Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help LED Signal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED Signal Replacement

Alright, need some help on this one. Getting ready to place a good sized order on V-LED since they have 20% off $100+. First question I have is with the Front Signal, since they are switchbacks. Will these require me to tap into both the parking light and turn signal (Doesn't come with a harness, just the bulb so it doesnt seem to be plug and play).

Also, with the 3Ω load resistor I will only need one for both sides of the vehicle (since I'm replacing front and back, according to their site). So, my question is, are all the front and rear turn signals wired together? So, essentially I could just splice into the fronts and it would prevent hyper flashing in the rears as well? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Rear Signal:
V-LEDS PLATINUM RED 7 WATT HIGH POWER 20 LED BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 7440 7443

Front Signal:
V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING HID WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 48 M-SMT PARKING/TURN SIGNAL BULBS 7443 7443NA

Load Resistor:
3 OHM 50W 4 BULB LED LOAD EQUALIZER RESISTORS TURN SIGNAL BLINKER FIX
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
mswistak14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDONNS
Alright, need some help on this one. Getting ready to place a good sized order on V-LED since they have 20% off $100+. First question I have is with the Front Signal, since they are switchbacks. Will these require me to tap into both the parking light and turn signal (Doesn't come with a harness, just the bulb so it doesnt seem to be plug and play).

Also, with the 3Ω load resistor I will only need one for both sides of the vehicle (since I'm replacing front and back, according to their site). So, my question is, are all the front and rear turn signals wired together? So, essentially I could just splice into the fronts and it would prevent hyper flashing in the rears as well? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.
Good question. I did my lights last night and battled with the load resistor. I got the driver side to work just fine but for some reason I could not get the passenger side to stop the hyper flash and I used a load resistor across each. I beleive if you switch out all 4 corners you will need a load resistor for each. I eventually became frustrated and took the load resistor out of the driver side and am just going to deal with hyper flash until my next project of getting back in there.

I didnt switch out my rears but those were the resistors and switch backs I used and they look great.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by mswistak14
Good question. I did my lights last night and battled with the load resistor. I got the driver side to work just fine but for some reason I could not get the passenger side to stop the hyper flash and I used a load resistor across each. I beleive if you switch out all 4 corners you will need a load resistor for each. I eventually became frustrated and took the load resistor out of the driver side and am just going to deal with hyper flash until my next project of getting back in there.

I didnt switch out my rears but those were the resistors and switch backs I used and they look great.
So they essentially are plug in, splice the load resistor, and play? After trolling some other forums it looks like there isn't a need to get into the parking light wiring. So, that leads me to believe that there is a constant low voltage applied that the LED picks up on and produces the white, then when signals are applied, the increase in voltage makes them kick amber.

Also, might want to make sure you have a clean connection through the wire taps. They can be tricky sometimes, if all else fails, just hardwire them. If they still don't work, you probably have a faulty resistor.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
mswistak14

So they essentially are plug in, splice the load resistor, and play? After trolling some other forums it looks like there isn't a need to get into the parking light wiring. So, that leads me to believe that there is a constant low voltage applied that the LED picks up on and produces the white, then when signals are applied, the increase in voltage makes them kick amber.
It does but the bulb will flash extremely fast (similar to how a VW does). You use scotch locks to connect all the wires. Your turn signal has 3 wires coming out (2 green and 1 white). You want to wire one end of the resistor to one green and the other end to the other green wire. This will prevent the hyper flash.

Yet again I got it perfect on the driver side but the passenger side something kept going wrong and out of frustration I now have hyperflash all around!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 ohms in the rear( More Space ) on both sides will stop the hyper flash. The bulbs are plug and play, No need to splice into the park lights.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 AM
maxfinity

It does but the bulb will flash extremely fast (similar to how a VW does). You use scotch locks to connect all the wires. Your turn signal has 3 wires coming out (2 green and 1 white). You want to wire one end of the resistor to one green and the other end to the other green wire. This will prevent the hyper flash.

Yet again I got it perfect on the driver side but the passenger side something kept going wrong and out of frustration I now have hyperflash all around!

I had initially had the same issue. All i had to do was make sure the splice was tight and it stopped. I had to take some pliers and apply a little more pressure. My problem now is my TPMS light flashes then remains steady after driving for about 10 mins with the lights on. When i turn off the lights the TPMS light goes off. I tried to remedy this by replacing the rear signals with Led bulbs and putting 3 ohm resistors in the rear. Still had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they just put air in the tires. I just gave up. Its been like the for about 8 mths now.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 AM
mswistak14

Originally Posted by maxfinity
3 ohms in the rear( More Space ) on both sides will stop the hyper flash. The bulbs are plug and play, No need to splice into the park lights.
oh legit, what wires in the rear will I splice into then? What happens if I put LED in my tail lights, will I then need 4 resistors all around?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 AM
maxfinity

oh legit, what wires in the rear will I splice into then? What happens if I put LED in my tail lights, will I then need 4 resistors all around?
You can only use 3ohm resistor if both the front and rear signals on that side(DRiver or Passenger) is LED. If only one bulb is led then you need the 6 ohm resistor and you have to apply it to the wires that connect directly to the bulb. So if your putting an led bulb in the front but not in the rear then you would need to apply a 6ohm resistor to the front wires for the turn signal. If you were changing both the front and rear bulbs on the passenger side to Led, then you would use a 3ohm resistor on the front or rear turn signal wires on the passenger side. I hope this helps clarify for you.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
mswistak14

Thanks! I take it the rear bulbs are 2 wire compared to the front turn signal 3 wire?

Looks like I am just going to do my tail lights LED for the simplicity of removing my hyperflash. 3rd order to vleds!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
CDONNS

So, I don't think the switchbacks will work for a coupe..... looks like its only for the sedans.

Going to have to swap out my 7440 socket for a 7443 to get it to work.

Last edited by CDONNS; 05-01-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 AM
maxfinity

Thanks! I take it the rear bulbs are 2 wire compared to the front turn signal 3 wire?

Looks like I am just going to do my tail lights LED for the simplicity of removing my hyperflash. 3rd order to vleds!
Lol... Yeah the rear bulbs have only two wires. I recommend the 7w 7440 bulbs. They are very visible both day and night.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 AM
maxfinity

So, I don't think the switchbacks will work for a coupe..... looks like its only for the sedans.

Going to have to swap out my 7440 socket for a 7443 to get it to work.
Yeah... Switchbacks only work on dual circuit sockets. I'd imagine you would also have to splice into the parklight wires since they're not integrated with the turn signal.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by maxfinity
Yeah... Switchbacks only work on dual circuit sockets. I'd imagine you would also have to splice into the parklight wires since they're not integrated with the turn signal.
Yep, exactly. Oh well, should be a very easy modification. Sucks I have to wait on those to be shipped to me now...
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM
djkymar

I have 2012 sedan and I connected the load resistor to both green wires and when I turn my signal on it still hyper flashes with the glove box light at the same time and all the dash lights, what could be the problem?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM
RTom919

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump to this thread. I have the front switchback leds from DD installed, I want to get the rears now. Their web page says you 'usually' do not need two sets of resistors (front and rear), but I want to make sure before I place my order. Anyone know specifically for the G sedan 2010+ if we need front AND rear resistors? Or is 1 set good enough to stop hyperblink.

Quick Reply: Help LED Signal Replacement