Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:09 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
just went through this entire thread.. great info!!!

i wonder if i get an AT seat position module i'll get the slide back on exit-entry feature 6mts don't have

Last edited by ToXIc; 08-29-2018 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ToXIc

i wonder if i get an AT seat position module i'll get the slide back on exit-entry feature 6mts don't have
Hopefully, my thread can save you lots of trouble with all the B.S. I went through to make it work. My Sparco seat is still great. Let us know if that AT seat position module makes your seat slide back. That would be cool.
ToXIc (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:56 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by ToXIc

Not sure if having just the new seat module will get you this feature or not. Having the AT seat module you will probably get the functionality but you'd still need to be able to access the option that is buried deep in the setting menu which probably still won't be there even with the new module. That said, I have this feature and had it active for a while until I accidentally crushed the toes of my back seat passenger, whom was my Father, because I accidentally opened my door before he had exited the car himself. So I would tell anyone wanting to use this feature to exercise extreme caution when using it.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So the other day my facebook profile provided me with a one year anniversary of when I first installed the Sparco seat. My car decided to celebrate by flipping on the airbag light. lol I think it somehow got tripped from all the wheel hop from me trying to spin my tires to get rid of cupping on the insides. I was about to take the seat out and check the wiring when instead I opted to just try the ignition sequence to reset the light. So far so good- no light for the last few days. Weird, this airbag light is pretty sensitive.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Thanks for the update, 4DRZ. Hope you are still enjoying your Sparco seat. My Cobra Misano seats have been feeling a bit narrow lately, but I think its probably just the 20 lbs I've gained hitting in all the wrong places. LOL

FYI... You should also post up the ignition sequence to reset the air bag.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well I think (hope) it was just a random airbag light caused by the violent wheel hop because my light has not come on since I reset it (goes to knock on wood).

2G- To reset the airbag light you hit the "start" button twice to go into "on" mode without actually starting it.
-Keep your finger close to the button as you want to shut it off immediately after the airbag light goes out (appox. 7 seconds after going into "on" mode). You literally have a split second to do this as it will not reset if the airbag light comes back on.
-Wait 3 seconds before putting into "on" mode again.
-Shut it off immediately after the airbag light goes out again.
-Do this on/off process at least 3 times.

If the cause of the original airbag light was fixed, it will not reappear. This process literally just resets the light. It does not fix any issue with the airbags.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

2G- That is a bummer about the seats starting to feel tight. I guess that is incentive for us to try to stay in shape. There is some truth to that. If I am fresh off of a tough weight workout I do notice my Sparco seat definitely seems to hug my lats a bit more.

I do still really like my Sparco R600 seat. It is very comfortable, holds me in place, is of high quality, and it is not terribly expensive for an aftermarket seat. However, it is probably not the greatest seat for people who are "big boned." It is not as tight as a full on fixed back racing seat, but it is snug so you do have to be in good shape for it to fit right.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I think I am going to start the next project of replacing the front passenger seat with another Sparco R600 seat. This has easily been my favorite seat in any car so far. Step one is to get a passenger seat occupant classification emulator from the one company in Ireland who makes them. Has anyone tried one of these to make sure they actually work? After I make sure that works, then I need to order the Bride seat rails for the seat. Those take 3-4 months to get. Finally, I will order the Sparco R600 seat which is actually the easy part. Fortunately, I do not have to worry about the height of the seat rails this time around and I think the side airbag relay should work a lot easier this time as well.

Slowg37x (11-25-2018)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I have tried to order the seat occupant classification emulator twice now only to discover that the rewards card I was trying to use is only good in the U.S. Go figure, they only make these damn things in Ireland???

Another thing that has been holding me back is that the airbag light keeps popping on. I try the trick to reset it and it will go off for a few days. Or I get the reset right twice and on the 3rd attempt the light pops on just as I am shutting the car off. The causes the light to come on much slower. Strange. I wonder if I had another resistor go bad. These things seem to have a limited shelf life. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So I have tried to order the seat occupant classification emulator twice now only to discover that the rewards card I was trying to use is only good in the U.S. Go figure, they only make these damn things in Ireland???

Another thing that has been holding me back is that the airbag light keeps popping on. I try the trick to reset it and it will go off for a few days. Or I get the reset right twice and on the 3rd attempt the light pops on just as I am shutting the car off. The causes the light to come on much slower. Strange. I wonder if I had another resistor go bad. These things seem to have a limited shelf life. Anyone else have this issue?
What resistance resistor are you using? If I recall correctly I am using a 2.2 Ohm resistor and have not had any issues.
I guess its also possible that the ambient temperature could be affecting the resistor slightly.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
What resistance resistor are you using? If I recall correctly I am using a 2.2 Ohm resistor and have not had any issues.
I guess its also possible that the ambient temperature could be affecting the resistor slightly.
I tried 2.2 ohm earlier, but it did not work with my car at all. However, that may have been due to a bad connection. I have had pretty good luck with a 4.7 ohm resistor, but it can sporadically trip the airbag light. If I have had (relatively) good luck with a 4.7 ohm resistor would it make any sense at all that a 2.2 ohm resistor would also work?

I am surprised that an electrical resistor would be so sensitive to temperature compared to the rest of the seat wiring, but I am willing to believe anything is possible at this point. I did not see the airbag light yesterday or today so using Murphy's law I am sure it will come on during the drive home tonight... Hopefully, I am wrong.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I got a chance to replace my 4.7 ohm resistor with the 2.2 ohm resistor that 2gornot2g uses. I tried this once before and it did not work, but I may have had a bad connection. I checked the connections on the old 4.7 ohm resistor and they were solid. I had one of my techs solder the connectors onto the resistor so I am not sure if a connection failed under the shrink wrap (unlikely) or the resistor failed. Whatever it was my car was throwing the airbag light about every other day. This resistor has worked well for quite a while until recently.

original 4.7 ohm resistor soldered to connectors and shrink wrapped

4.7 and 2.2 ohm resistors

2.2 ohm resistor with original wires wrapped around it

everything wrapped in electrical tape
Old 01-26-2019, 11:48 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, it has been about 2 weeks with the 2.2 ohm resistor and the airbag light has remained off (knock on wood). We have had some extremely low temperatures lately too (-15 degrees right now) so that does not seem to affect it. If the light comes back on I also picked up a Craftsman multimeter pretty cheap since our local sears is closing. Every technician I talk to is scared to pop the airbag in the factory seat by checking the resistance, but I might be willing to take that chance if the airbag light keeps appearing.

It is funny how one little light totally changes your perspective of the car. When the light is flashing I hate my car and think it is a piece of junk. When the light goes off I think it is the best car.

If the light stays off, my next step is to pick up a occupant classification emulator for the passenger side and make sure it works. This tricks the weight sensor that is normally in the bottom of the passenger seat. Then I will order the seat rails and finally another Sparco R600 seat to save a bit more weight and match the driver's side.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Glad to hear the 2.2 ohm resistors are working for you so far. I know what you mean about the presence of unwanted dash lights ruining the driving experience. I can sympathize since I have a similar issue except my problem is with a number of the dash lights behind my RPM gauge slowly going out... one of the lights has completely died and two others will flicker on and off during the day, so I'm assuming those will die soon. I've also had the light behind my fuel gauge take a number of minutes to light up after starting the car so that one may be going too. Now every time I get in the car and look at the dash it makes it feel like I'm driving an old POS. Not fun!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Glad to hear the 2.2 ohm resistors are working for you so far. I know what you mean about the presence of unwanted dash lights ruining the driving experience. I can sympathize since I have a similar issue except my problem is with a number of the dash lights behind my RPM gauge slowly going out... one of the lights has completely died and two others will flicker on and off during the day, so I'm assuming those will die soon. I've also had the light behind my fuel gauge take a number of minutes to light up after starting the car so that one may be going too. Now every time I get in the car and look at the dash it makes it feel like I'm driving an old POS. Not fun!
That's crazy! What year is your G? Hopefully it is not too difficult for you to open up the dash and replace bulbs.

Do you have a 2.2 ohm resistor on the passenger side too? Any issues? I think you actually tore apart the passenger seat and put in an occupant classification sensor if I remember right. How is that working out? I am planning to eventually order and try out one of these plug in occupant classification emulators. I am a little hesitant about it as it comes from Ireland and I do not know anyone who has actually tried it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?