Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fog Light Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM
photoposite
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Removal

Hello guys, I just discovered this site. I have a 2012 G37 Sedan and one of my fog lights are busted, the passenger side. I am at the point when I have removed the plastic tabs and pulled back the fender on the driver side. I have removed the screw holding the bulb in place, but there seems to be a plastic cage holding the actual light. I thought I could push the light out through the front, but I believe the chrome ring is holding it in place. Im stuck and need help. Im on the driver side if that is any help. Thanks. I have read how to remove the bumper, but really dont want to do that since I'm right there, and I have read the other posts btw. I need basic instructions on how to proceed. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by photoposite
Hello guys, I just discovered this site. I have a 2012 G37 Sedan and one of my fog lights are busted, the passenger side. I am at the point when I have removed the plastic tabs and pulled back the fender on the driver side. I have removed the screw holding the bulb in place, but there seems to be a plastic cage holding the actual light. I thought I could push the light out through the front, but I believe the chrome ring is holding it in place. Im stuck and need help. Im on the driver side if that is any help. Thanks. I have read how to remove the bumper, but really dont want to do that since I'm right there, and I have read the other posts btw. I need basic instructions on how to proceed. Thanks.
The chrome ring is held in with two clips and has to come out. Pinch them, and pull the chrome ring. Fog light will push right out.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:58 PM
photoposite
Registered Member

Thanks, I saw two red clips on the inside, but they were really stiff. Let me go back out and try it.....
Old 07-18-2016, 12:59 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
The chrome ring is held in with two clips and has to come out. Pinch them, and pull the chrome ring. Fog light will push right out.
^^^This..

There's a good pic of the back of the fog light in this post: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-modified.html
Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM
photoposite
Registered Member

Are these red tabs the one? I only see two. Tried pushing them in and nothing is budging.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Removal-file_000.jpeg  
Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM
TBau651

That's them.. I do remember it being a snug fit and you have to push both at once. Granted I had the bumper off so I was easily able to push the tabs and pull on the bezel from the front. Since your Fog housing is unscrewed, you might try applying some light pressure (outward) to the back of the housing as you push the clips in.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
photoposite
Registered Member

Finally got the first one changed on the driver side. Thanks TBau651 and MaQG37. I can feel where to pull the light out on the passenger, but I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge and take off the bumper. Is this a one person job, especially as far as putting it back on?
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM
TBau651

Finally got the first one changed on the driver side. Thanks TBau651 and MaQG37. I can feel where to pull the light out on the passenger, but I'm gonna go ahead and take the plunge and take off the bumper. Is this a one person job, especially as far as putting it back on?
Definitely a manageable solo job, did it twice and never felt the need for a second set of hands (some good DIY's out there for this). I found the hardest part to be removing the bolts inside the wheel well and under the hood near the outer edges of the headlights. Once you have everything unbolted the actual removal/reinstall of the bumper is very easy, it basically pops right off and right back into place on the install. Also helpful to have something ready to rest the bumper on when you pop it off that is roughly the height of the bottom of the bumper, it is especially helpful on the reinstall because you can get everything lined up prior to lifting the bumper up to attach it. I think I used a shoe box or something like that.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:21 PM
photoposite
Registered Member

ok, the bumper removal was a resounding success. I just came right off. I really should have just taken it off to begin with, it would have been much easier, damn near dead simple. Used the shoe box trick to put even the bumper up and went at it. It snap right back into place, and my new oem replacement fog lights look great. I did notice while on this forum that I want new HID's and foglights, all white, with a slight blue-ish tint. I'll be doing that in a couple months. Thanks all. You guys rock!!!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:48 PM
TBau651

ok, the bumper removal was a resounding success. I just came right off. I really should have just taken it off to begin with, it would have been much easier, damn near dead simple. Used the shoe box trick to put even the bumper up and went at it. It snap right back into place, and my new oem replacement fog lights look great. I did notice while on this forum that I want new HID's and foglights, all white, with a slight blue-ish tint. I'll be doing that in a couple months. Thanks all. You guys rock!!!!!
Glad to hear it went smooth, and now you have the know how for the next go round'.. I swapped out my HID bulbs for Morimoto 6500K's. IMO - Brighter than OEM, and the perfect bright white with just a hint of blue I was after- I absolutely love em' - and cant beat that price.. I would recommend checking them out:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...0#.V46C8PkrLcs
Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 PM
Goldenstatetint

New to this site but I learned some stuff

Hello everybody I am new to this site and came across this post trough a google search, I believe I have an easier way to remove and change fog lights for a G37 coupe, I own a 2012 so I'm no sure if this will be the same with other years, it may help since this type of things are either similar of don't really change much.
This is for the passenger side since it's more difficult because the washer fluid is right behind the fog light, driver side is a walk on the park.
After you remove the bottom plastic piece which is very easy to remove.

you don't have to remove those.

Remove the plastic piece in front of the wheels, there are only clips.

I know, that is not an original clip since I messed those up the first time I removed them, they were old anyways.

You will have this view from the bottom of the fog light, the washer fluid container is behind the fog light but if you push carefully on those clips, the black plastic around the fog light will come out.

there are 4 of them, the other 2 are not visible but you have to squeeze your hand between the fog light and the washer fluid container, you can use your other hand to push the washer fluid a little so you can get it there

Now all you have to do is remove these screws.

and then TA-DA!

the ones on green are the visible, the red ones are the ones you cannot see, I swear I did not broke the clip, it was like that when I got here like seriously I had my bumper repainted so it must had been them.

Am I the man you may ask? well, yes, yes I am, good luck and hopefully this info helps you.