Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how would 35% look? Black interior and black exterior
wondering if i should go 30 or 35
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 AM
ShockinG37
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
or an often heard rationalization for those who think their car looks “cool” with illegal tints and therefore couldn’t care less about the law or common sense.
To each his own, I don't feel "Virtually Blind" though.

Originally Posted by pdpMIATA
.. WHERE?! LOL. For lifetime warranty I get quoted around $300-$350 at various places.

You and AUR11...I must know your hidden secrets
Friend of a friend who used to own a shop...now he does it on the side.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 AM
fromtheillstate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$220 in Chicago for 38% Viper Brand with lifetime warranty. Looks virtually the same as the pic Da Mayor put up of the 35%. Mine is also Moonlight White with Stone/Wheat interior.

I had 35% on my 328 and is is hard to tell the difference.

No issues at all with night vision.

Happy medium IMO.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I paid $159 in Nashville for carbon tint with nation wide warranty. IMO go one step back from legal which in Tennessee means I went with 35%. In Florida I remember they used to make us scratch off tint on the side of the road or get a massive ticket. IMO it's not worth the harassment to go at or below legal.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM
itzjawkneeboi

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
20% in the rear and 33% in the front. Black interior. You can still see through the window during the day. The driver will appear like a smoked silhouette.

At night, you may not make out the driver as well, but the interior lights from the gauges still can be seen. Outside visibility really isn't that bad either. In my opinion, it's the perfect combo.

Window Tinting G37 Sedan-forumrunner_20140316_102716.jpg

Window Tinting G37 Sedan-forumrunner_20140316_102734.jpg
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by itzjawkneeboi
Outside visibility really isn't that bad either. In my opinion, it's the perfect combo.
IMO you’re kidding yourself. There’s no way of denying that outside visibility is compromised, to what degree is debatable, but it is not arguable that this compromise is not in the spirit of the best safe driving practice at night.

And I’m sure if you ever have the misfortune to have a night accident, your insurance company would keep this mind as they take steps to deny your claim.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I will say that having 45% tint on the front windshield is pretty dangerous and definitely cuts down on the night vision. I had this done on an Altima and didn't like it for night driving. On the flipside, day time driving was great.

I have 35% on sides/rear window right now and it's the perfect combo IMHO. 35% is legal here in MD, but remember the factory windows do have a very slight tint, which will drop it below by a couple of percent.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 AM
ShockinG37
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO you’re kidding yourself. There’s no way of denying that outside visibility is compromised, to what degree is debatable, but it is not arguable that this compromise is not in the spirit of the best safe driving practice at night.

And I’m sure if you ever have the misfortune to have a night accident, your insurance company would keep this mind as they take steps to deny your claim.
Why are you getting so bent over other peoples choices?
OPs window tint laws say he can have 27%. Is that too dark?

20% is legal in New Mexico, do we just deny all their night accident claims because "tint"!

Tint laws are stupid anyway, being set by state.

Last edited by ShockinG37; 03-18-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had 35% on sides and rear on my White 2010 G37x, loved it! Now on my 2013 Silver G37X I went with 35% sides and 20% on the rear window which I like even better! Nobody would notice the darker rear If I didn't mention it and really helps with night driving/high-beams and rear seat privacy. Although front tints in NJ are "Illegal" for us common folk (Police Cars EXCLUDED) I have never been stopped in 4+ years and everyone has it done, as long as you are visible they don't seem to give you a hard time.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by ShockinG37
Why are you getting so bent over other peoples choices?
OPs window tint laws say he can have 27%. Is that too dark?

20% is legal in New Mexico, do we just deny all their night accident claims because "tint"!

Tint laws are stupid anyway, being set by state.
I’m concerned that another person’s choice around here may kill me or my family some dark night as a typical old man trying to cross the street. I’m also concerned that this general lawlessness of illegal tint can spread to other areas leading to further disrespect for our laws and traditions. And I’m a bit bent over, as you say, that any rational driver would believe that all state tint laws are “stupid” and serve no purpose in enhancing highway safety.

I also wonder why you quoted New Mexico’s liberal tint law when you live in New York where they have a more strict 70% for side windows.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I’m concerned that another person’s choice around here may kill me or my family some dark night as a typical old man trying to cross the street. I’m also concerned that this general lawlessness of illegal tint can spread to other areas leading to further disrespect for our laws and traditions. And I’m a bit bent over, as you say, that any rational driver would believe that all state tint laws are “stupid” and serve no purpose in enhancing highway safety.

I also wonder why you quoted New Mexico’s liberal tint law when you live in New York where they have a more strict 70% for side windows.
Unless cars these days are driving in reverse coming to an intersection, I don't think you have to worry about crossing the street with his side window and rear tints. I live in LA too, and I haven't come across any rural area where it is so dark out that I cannot see a pedestrian out my windshield, nor my side windows. But I won't debate that with you because you will just start talking about textbook physics.

And because tint laws vary by state, does this mean NM has no concern for pedestrian safety? Clearly 20% legal limit will leave you blind as a bat even on the sun, in your eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by sniper27:
lisavaccz (03-18-2014), ShockinG37 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are that concerned with our "lawlessness" of the tint laws you should probably hang up the keys and never go outside again. There are real hazards out there like drunk driving, impaired driving, tired driving, texting while driving, hands-free and non-hands free cell phone use while driving (or otherwise Distracted Driving), speeders, heck even wildlife running around. I'm willing to bet you might even be or have been part of one of those groups endangering our family or old folks, so can we put things in reasonable perspective and stop this nonsense?

The basis for tint laws are on officer safety during traffic stops and such and they also have a nice side effect on income generation for municipalities, those are facts any officer could tell you, based on real world statistics and events. Where is the data on illegal tint causing accidents and killing people, an how does it compare in any multitude to the hazards I listed above?
The following users liked this post:
sniper27 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by sniper27
And because tint laws vary by state, does this mean NM has no concern for pedestrian safety? Clearly 20% legal limit will leave you blind as a bat even on the sun, in your eyes.
I agree with you regarding New Mexico’s generous tint law. If I lived there I would be petitioning my state legislators to stiffen the law somewhat, perhaps going to 70% on the side windows, which is more common among the other states.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM
ciscoizi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally I was going to get 35% but said screw it and went with the 20% all around. I'm glad I did though as it's not as dark as I thought it would be. I am in NJ where it's illegal to have the front windows tinted. Got this done a couple months ago and have passed plenty of cops and none have bothered me yet. I doubt the tints were 3M or anything special but I only paid $100 for everything with a lifetime warranty so I was good with that.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by TONY37X
If you are that concerned with our "lawlessness" of the tint laws you should probably hang up the keys and never go outside again. There are real hazards out there like drunk driving, impaired driving, tired driving, texting while driving, hands-free and non-hands free cell phone use while driving (or otherwise Distracted Driving), speeders, heck even wildlife running around. I'm willing to bet you might even be or have been part of one of those groups endangering our family or old folks, so can we put things in reasonable perspective and stop this nonsense?

The basis for tint laws are on officer safety during traffic stops and such and they also have a nice side effect on income generation for municipalities, those are facts any officer could tell you, based on real world statistics and events. Where is the data on illegal tint causing accidents and killing people, an how does it compare in any multitude to the hazards I listed above?
All those hazards you listed are valid, and in a way make my point, i.e., that too many drivers don’t give a rip about driving laws because they lack a basic willingness to follow our laws. After all, having a “cool” looking car is much more important as long as they feel that “I can see just fine at night”. It’s a mindset, perhaps more common on this site, that cannot be solved so easily.

I would certainly like to see some data on illegal tint causing night accidents and killing people. I guess we’ll have to wait on that, but all I can say is that other automobile safety requirements, like TPMS and seat belts, ARE based on actual highway deaths.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Tinting G37 Sedan