Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Remove wrinkles on leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM
twang86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove wrinkles on leather seats?

I recently bought a used 2008 g37S. But the leather seats, especially on the driver side, is really beat up with lots of wrinkles and small cracks. Is there any way that I can get rid of them? Or at least make them less noticeable? I hear that leather seats crack when they are dry or get exposed to the sun often, and using a damp cotton cloth and wiping them down will help reduce the wrinkles.

Also, the back seat has a small hole in the leather. Anyone have any advice as to the best way to fix that? I was thinking about just sewing it up.

Thanks a lot. I am really new when it comes to cars and this is my first car that I bought for myself.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
The hole can be stitched up by someone who knows what they're doing. Look around for upholsterers in your area, I would advise against just trying to stitch it up yourself. Leather is a lot less forgiving of bad sewing.

You might try some leather cleaner/conditioner to fix some of the small cracks. The wrinkles are pretty much permanent. There's not much you can do, so I wouldn't worry too much. Cracks are from exposure and not enough care, you can mitigate some of the damage. Avoid using saddle soap. It is an old school remedy that doesn't work and can make your leather worse.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
twang86

Thanks for the advice.

Do they sell special leather conditioners in auto shops or would any leather conditioner do?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

They sell leather conditioners in your local autozone/pep boys/ etc, but I think any leather conditioner would probably work. Make sure you test it in an inconspicuous spot before going whole hog and slathering it on everything.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I thought you had a fix LOL even my back seats are wrinkled and I NEVER not once had someone sit in the back . An I use Mcgiuers leather cleaner and condition once a month.
I just think they skimpt on the leather
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I thought you had a fix LOL even my back seats are wrinkled and I NEVER not once had someone sit in the back . An I use Mcgiuers leather cleaner and condition once a month.
I just think they skimpt on the leather
Yeah, the back seats are just there to cushion the crap you throw back there.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM
twang86

Someone under 5"4 can sit there comfortably!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Cvilltn

Dealer service records for my pre-owned 2009 indicate that the previous owner had an issue with driver seat leather that was "bubbled and wrinkled" aproximately one year after purchasing it new. Dealer corrected problem by: "Replaced LF Seat Cushion Cover".

Looks to be a common issue. Just a matter of how insane the price of the dealer's cushion is or if you can find an aftermarket one somewhere.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Cvilltn
Dealer service records for my pre-owned 2009 indicate that the previous owner had an issue with driver seat leather that was "bubbled and wrinkled" aproximately one year after purchasing it new. Dealer corrected problem by: "Replaced LF Seat Cushion Cover".

Looks to be a common issue. Just a matter of how insane the price of the dealer's cushion is or if you can find an aftermarket one somewhere.
Looks like someone got lucky! I went to two dealers and they told me it was normal? ;/ mind you I had 1300 miles only on the car
Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
twang86

wow, very lucky indeed!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just an fyi. You can get some of the wrinkles out with steam. Note, you need to be careful.

Basically, I take a towel and wrap the head of the steamer and spin the excess of the towel up the wand. Hold the towel in one hand (away from you so you don't get burned) and pull the trigger with the other hand. You can sort of iron out the wrinkles. While doing so you are also pulling all the crap off the top of the leather. Follow this up with a LIBERAL application of lexol or similar type leather conditioner. Then after a few minutes buff the residue off.

Here is the machine I have. Found one on cl for $40. Find one, you'll be finding all sorts of things to use it for.

Amazon.com - McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner Amazon.com - McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detail
Just an fyi. You can get some of the wrinkles out with steam. Note, you need to be careful.

Basically, I take a towel and wrap the head of the steamer and spin the excess of the towel up the wand. Hold the towel in one hand (away from you so you don't get burned) and pull the trigger with the other hand. You can sort of iron out the wrinkles. While doing so you are also pulling all the crap off the top of the leather. Follow this up with a LIBERAL application of lexol or similar type leather conditioner. Then after a few minutes buff the residue off.

Here is the machine I have. Found one on cl for $40. Find one, you'll be finding all sorts of things to use it for.

Amazon.com - McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
Do we know if anyone has tried this technique or similar to remove one of the "seat bubbles" the sport seats are plagued with. My pasenger seat has gotten one with minimal use after 14k miles, driver seat looks nearly mint.