Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Wrapped my interior trim pieces...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Wrapped my interior trim pieces...

I got sick of replacing the scratched/chipped trim pieces, so I decided to wrap them. Didn't want to do regular (black) carbon fiber b/c I thought it would make the interior too dark. I used 3M silver carbon fiber di-noc wrap. It's textured and very reflective so it looks a lot lighter/brighter/whiter in the pics than it actually is in person. I left the chrome trim pieces unwrapped just to break it up a little. I tried to wrap the top of the shifter ****, but that trim can't be removed. I couldn't get a clean cut so I left it alone

Took about 10-12 hours total to take everything apart, wrap the pieces then re-install everything. Probably could've done it a little faster, but I took my time to make sure the pattern matched across all of the pieces. It wasn't hard to do but it requires a lot of patience and fine motor skills...if you don't have both, don't bother trying lol

Overall I'm happy with it

Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks great, I'm considering doing something similar in the future myself
Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
onelovechicago

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finished product looks great! Which piece would you say was the hardest to wrap? Also you can always go with the m45 shifter to get the complete look?

Last edited by onelovechicago; 07-13-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Dr.Pat

Yes, I thought about switching to the M45 **** since its all black.

Thank you! The radio bezel and the bezels around the shifter were the most difficult to remove because there are a ton of screws and a bunch of small pieces that need to be removed in addition to the bezels themselves. The radio bezel was the most difficult to wrap because of all the cutouts that had to be done. The door trim and the trim over the glove box were very simple to remove and to wrap
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice job, came out great! I've got a 3m 1080 sample pack w/ about 30 vinyl colors & styles and that silver looks good. It's funny how it shows up in your photos as white CF. Looks like you really took your time and paid attention to the details, particularly keeping all the weave angles proper, that can be a chore.
One question, I've done quite a few vinyl projects and was thinking about interior trim wrap. Looking over a lot of the pieces it seems like quite a few pieces could be wrapped without removing from the vehicle, such as the door and dash trim. Seems like there's enough gap to get the wrap and still effectively edge seal it. I know some like the radio you'd want it removed so you can wrap around and seal from the inside, and get a better seal on those visible edges. I'd like to hear your opinions & appreciate the help, and again, nice job!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Dr.Pat

Thanks man. Yea its definitely more silver in person...i agree, it looks white in the pics. Its lighter than the stock trim, but not as light as it looks in person.

I wouldn't try wrapping any of the pieces without removing them. While there is a decent gap between the door trim and the panel, you won't be able to get a smooth edge on the rounded parts of the trim without pulling it tight and wrapping it behind the piece. The door trim and the trim above the glove box are VERY easy the remove. It would take you a lot longer to try to wrap those pieces while they're still on the car than it would for you to remove, wrap and reinstall them.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Thanks man. Yea its definitely more silver in person...i agree, it looks white in the pics. Its lighter than the stock trim, but not as light as it looks in person.

I wouldn't try wrapping any of the pieces without removing them. While there is a decent gap between the door trim and the panel, you won't be able to get a smooth edge on the rounded parts of the trim without pulling it tight and wrapping it behind the piece. The door trim and the trim above the glove box are VERY easy the remove. It would take you a lot longer to try to wrap those pieces while they're still on the car than it would for you to remove, wrap and reinstall them.
Thanks, just the info I was looking for
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM
cgrizzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much carbon fiber did you have to buy to wrap everything? For example a 48" x 48" sheet or something?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by cgrizzle
How much carbon fiber did you have to buy to wrap everything? For example a 48" x 48" sheet or something?
They come in 60" width, I'm guessing a 2ftx5ft should do it, although an extra foot for f'ups is probably a good plan
I get all my vinyl from 3M Carbon Fiber Car Wrap Vinyl
Great prices, service & shipping
Sorry to butt in OP
Couldn't help myself
Old 07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Dr.Pat

I bought a 5' x 2' roll. I have a piece left thats about 1' x 1'. The material is pretty forgiving...if it creases, bubbles or folds over on itself you just heat it up and stretch it out...just dont stretch it too much or else you'll get curves in the pattern. Definitely go to an arts and crafts store and pick up an exacto knife with a fine blade...it really helps to make sharp cuts...I tried using scissors and a regular razor blade at first but its a lot harder that way.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Looks Great I have a few pieces that are scratched in the inside of mine this is a great idea going to have to do this to mine!!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
MGold1211

That looks really unique. I think a big downfall of Infiniti is their lack of interior schemes.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Dr.Pat

Thanks guys. I liked the stock silver trim...if only it didn't get scratched, dented and chipped from breathing on it lol
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
cgrizzle

Anyone think it would look weird to do silver CF on the horizontal aluminum trim and carbon fiber else where like steering wheel, in front of the center arm rest before the aluminum trim, and the door grabs?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Dr.Pat

Yes...all one color IMO

Quick Reply: Wrapped my interior trim pieces...