Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 G37X Water leak behind glove box when it rains/car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 G37X Water leak behind glove box when it rains/car wash

I have been dealing with a water leak behind the glove box for about 6-7 months now and the dealership is refusing to help me without charging labor because it was around the same time I had my windshield replaced. The windshield company has since replaced the windshield and indicated that it is not the source of the leak based on the windshield seal tests they did, many times over. The Infiniti dealership has concluded that it was something the windshield company ‘disturbed’ and don’t know what it is but is using that against me and won’t warranty the issue. The car is a 2010 G37X Sedan which I purchased brand new late 2010 with only 30K miles on it so I do have factory warranty on it that the dealership does not want to honor.

Initially when the leak occurred months back, my front passenger side was flooded with about 2 inches of water when it was raining while the car was parked. Infiniti did briefly look into the issue. They said they tested the most obvious things like drain holes and that was not the issue. They said the water is coming in via the cabin air intake hole so they put a homemade cover over it which they made out of an plastic oil container. They also replaced the fan blower motor because it was making noise due to water getting in there. I wasn’t happy this with solution because it wasn’t a proper fix but rather a band aid solution. But even with that homemade cover over it, smaller amounts of water is still getting into the car when in car washes. I recently went for an oil change and had the dealership remove their homemade cover because I thought it might be causing the problem as it was redirecting the flow of air.

Well I just came back from another car wash and water can be felt behind the glove box and the carpet as it drips down from there.

I love my G but this issue is making me want to sell it.

I am very frustrated and need some solid advice.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Did you have the problem prior to the windshield replacement?
If yes, then it's the car.
If no, then it's the windshield replacement, and Infiniti doesn't need to warranty it.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

No the problem wasn't there prior to the windshield replacement however the windshield company has since replaced the windshield and confirmed it's not causing the leak. The windshield company I used is the same company that Infiniti uses locally to replace all their windshield for all their Infiniti vehicles.

So if Infiniti doesn't know for certain the cause, can they simply refuse to warranty an issue?

Originally Posted by devil2k
Did you have the problem prior to the windshield replacement?
If yes, then it's the car.
If no, then it's the windshield replacement, and Infiniti doesn't need to warranty it.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I would still be inclined to believe it was the drains. Do you park under trees a lot? I know this is a totally different beast, but on my jeep forum this always comes up. It's always pooling water in the passenger footwell and usually the culprit is the sunroof drains.

Maybe look for schematics on where the drains run in the G, and see if its a possibility.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Reading what you just added. Usually it's the last thing messed with.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

I have tested the sunroof drain myself with a cup of water and it comes out on the bottom of the car. I don't park under trees often, only once in a while.

Originally Posted by Redpit
I would still be inclined to believe it was the drains. Do you park under trees a lot? I know this is a totally different beast, but on my jeep forum this always comes up. It's always pooling water in the passenger footwell and usually the culprit is the sunroof drains.

Maybe look for schematics on where the drains run in the G, and see if its a possibility.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Seems like the water is coming in via the cabin air intake vent. But why is my car doing this and not others? Is something missing from the cowl cover or damaged?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 AM
smethbet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti uses locally to replace all their windshield for all their Infiniti vehicles.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 AM
eddie903

Possibly related read:
Water leak near glove compartment - G35Driver

http://g35driver.com/forums/interior...eed-input.html

Last edited by eddie903; 01-21-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

? Not sure what you mean here.

Originally Posted by smethbet
Infiniti uses locally to replace all their windshield for all their Infiniti vehicles.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Thanks for the links, I've been through those already but the OPs never indicated the solution(s).

Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

In my case, water seems to be getting in from the top of the cabin air intake vent which means water would have to pool up and then overflow into that opening. So isn't there supposed to be a drainage hole around that area which is supposed to prevent the water from pooling up?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
DeamonG37s

The window guys did it. Y don't u jus tell the window company its leaking ever since they changed it.ask them to fix it or u will bring it to infiniti abd charge them the bill. Something is installed wrong or missing. See if u can have a look at other 2010 sedans and compare if sumthing is missing in that area
Goodluck
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No doubt....it was done during the windshield replacement. Although the windshield seals are not leaking, they messed up something with the cowl intake..... The lesson I've learned from your experience...pay a bit extra and have the dealer replace a broken windshield on a car that is still well within the warranty period. Certainly avoids the finger pointing problem. Sorry for your hassles.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

The car is going into the dealership on Wed and they have agreed to diagnose and fix the problem. If they can rule is was caused by the windshield company. then I'll be passing that bill onto them.

Quick Reply: 2010 G37X Water leak behind glove box when it rains/car wash