Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Water coming from under glove box!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Blennin3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water coming from under glove box!!!!

Guys so I've been dealing with this for a few weeks! As soon as these FL thunderstorms started I have found 3 TIMES that my passenger floor mat is DRENCHED with water! At first i thought it was the sunroof but after troubleshooting the leak it's definetly coming from under the glove compartment. I had my windshield swapped like 3 months ago and thought maybe it was done wrong they came by and "Claimed" it was all good then 2 days ago hop in my G and saw the hugested puddle!!! Help I can't take this any longer!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 PM
ciddx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
happened to me too. It was with car washes. I found that the issue was the rubber "seal" which sits ontop of the windshield at the bottom corners. I pushed mine into place and problem solved.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM
ilovemyg37

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i had that same thing when i got mine, take it to the dealer and have them blow out the duct in the sunroof, that fixed mine. the sun roof has a duct up there that catches and re routes the water to under the car, but if it gets clogged, it redirects to the passenger compartment. ever since they blew some air in there i been fine.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
criledo
Registered Member

I had this happen on a different car but what it was causing it was the drain for the A/C coil box which sits right above and behind the glove box. During long trips we would start seeing water to form in the passenger's floor area; the drain was pointing forward so the wind did not allow water to exit properly until it started freezing up. We installed an elbow and had the drain point down, matter solved. Like the previous poster says, you might want to make sure all drains are working properly.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
my moms car had this, seal was messed up as someone mentioned.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
blueninjabron

Had exact same problem, turned out I left a water bottle in the glovebox and the cap loosened. Check that.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovemyg37
i had that same thing when i got mine, take it to the dealer and have them blow out the duct in the sunroof, that fixed mine. the sun roof has a duct up there that catches and re routes the water to under the car, but if it gets clogged, it redirects to the passenger compartment. ever since they blew some air in there i been fine.
This. I've had a few come into my dealership and it's the sunroof drain. If it gets stopped up with dirt or leaves it tends to leak onto the passenger floor board. Could also be the AC drain as well bust most of the time it's the sunroof.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by TwoThree
This. I've had a few come into my dealership and it's the sunroof drain. If it gets stopped up with dirt or leaves it tends to leak onto the passenger floor board. Could also be the AC drain as well bust most of the time it's the sunroof.

Just in case we need to do this, where do they blow air into or toward? Is there a drain at the sunroof towards the front and the back, or just one toward the front?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Blennin3000

Originally Posted by TwoThree
I brought the headliner down opened the sunroof and poured water into the drains....no issue there it went straight down and came out the bottom of the car
Old 03-27-2018, 12:37 PM
jrbhorn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had this happen to me once. Clogged sunroof drain down the A pillar was likely the culprit but luckily seemed to clear itself. Had the car 8 years through plenty of rain before it did that and it never happened again.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Necromancer alert!

You realize this thread is six years old? And has been discussed many times in newer threads?

You were lucky the problem cleared itself. Usually, the firewall grommet through which the drain passes dry rots and tears, allowing water to leak into the passenger compartment.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 PM
jrbhorn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL I hate being that guy, sorry! First time using mobile for the site so the original date wasn’t as obvious. Wouldn’t have commented if I noticed.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by blueninjabron
Had exact same problem, turned out I left a water bottle in the glovebox and the cap loosened. Check that.
lol this guy

* i know this is old thread but reading the responses this guys funny