Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Finally painted my tails (GTR style)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
From the pics, that looks factory perfect. Infiniti should have made dark tails an option, or part of the Sport Package, or something. It looks so right on a black car.

Be proud, Newt.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by mystikal
Looks great!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by Rochester
From the pics, that looks factory perfect. Infiniti should have made dark tails an option, or part of the Sport Package, or something. It looks so right on a black car.

Be proud, Newt.
Gotta say, that makes my day
Your replies regarding most mods have a fair amount of helpful criticism, and I was curious how these would be received. Glad you like the result, I'm thrilled with how they came out and how they compliment the tail and the overall look of the car.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Gotta say, that makes my day
Your replies regarding most mods have a fair amount of helpful criticism, and I was curious how these would be received. Glad you like the result, I'm thrilled with how they came out and how they compliment the tail and the overall look of the car.
Rightly so to be thrilled with that work. Didn't you used to have an overlay on the tails? This looks 10x better than any tinted overlay ever could.

Now ditch that busy rear plate frame and get something clean and understated, in black.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rod_b
I've been hesitant on doing this also since my G is also graphite shadow. Don't think I've seen a pic with them done. Maybe just slightly darkened.
I say we try it! Or I'll try it for sure! Will keep you posted this week

Thanks!
I've tried taking sunlight pics but all I get is a huge glare (and pics of my knobby knees, lol). I really need to have a pro take some pics
Should look great on Graphite IMO.
Huge glare? Damn.. lol. Well thanks for these pictures though. Gave a good idea!

The circles are all even and centered, but I didn't use the flash on those pics so it's not a perfect shot, the previous pics w/ the flash on (that reveals the reflector strip) are a more accurate representation. Keep in mind that the outer lens is a fair distance from the LEDs so it's hard to capture the perfect shot. I'll try to take some straight closeup shots of the individual lights w/ the flash on, that might be easier to get a truer view.

Check this thread, the OPs' coupe should give you a better idea of how the tinted tails will look on your Graphite G.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...se-cutout.html
Thanks for the link! That gave me alot of assurance how it would look like. The DIY is good as well
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Rightly so to be thrilled with that work. Didn't you used to have an overlay on the tails? This looks 10x better than any tinted overlay ever could.

Now ditch that busy rear plate frame and get something clean and understated, in black.
I did have overlays on the headlights & taillights, they were opaque black so it wasn't a tint overlay but a light-blocking black. You're so right, the painted headlights & taillights look so much better, no vinyl edges that were noticeable and doesn't look like an add-on. I also like the fact that w/ the GTR style I still have clearly visible lights and the safety reflective strips are still visible under other cars' lights along w/ the side marker LEDs. I always felt that the overlays covering up the side markers & the reflective bar weren't the safest (and legal) plan, so it's all good now. Another ding on the overlays is the rear tails would look a bit off-black under certain lighting so they would look more out of place.
I'll see what I can come up with regarding the plate frame, my wife likes it so we'll see if anything can be done lol. Thanks again for the kind words!
Originally Posted by InfiniteSmoke
I say we try it! Or I'll try it for sure! Will keep you posted this week

Huge glare? Damn.. lol. Well thanks for these pictures though. Gave a good idea!

Thanks for the link! That gave me alot of assurance how it would look like. The DIY is good as well
Yep, you guys need to give this DIY a try, it's really not hard at all as long as you don't do any shortcuts, and like I mentioned, try to find one of the quality clear coats I listed, you'll be a happy camper in the end
Like I said, just tough to get good shots under bright daylight, even in wakeboards' DIY you'll notice all the glare off his tails too
No problem providing that link, those two DIYs is what gave me the motivation to give it a try and get clean results.
IMO the GTR style is a bit better since it's not blocking out the main lights and side markers which could be illegal in some places.
Remember, I'll be happy to send you guys the vinyl cutouts that you'll need, it'll save you a lot of time and you'll get the lights dead-on. Just PM me if you're interested. It's pretty much just a postage & vinyl charge so almost next to nothing
Cheers!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

OK Infinitismoke, maybe these are what you're wanting, tried to keep the glare to a minimum

While we're at it might as well show the matching headlight, lol
Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 PM
bluntz617

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there an updated link for where i can get the cutouts for the coupe
Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by bluntz617
Is there an updated link for where i can get the cutouts for the coupe
I only have sedan sets, if you want to try the GTR vinyl overlays in a tinted style check w/ bluebatmobile on the site. Otherwise you'd have to just wing it.
The following users liked this post:
Blue_Batmobile (12-30-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Alexis Rivera

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey blnewt is it at all possible to get a set of those gtr vinyl precuts for g37x sedan tail lights
Old 11-20-2016, 09:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Alexis Rivera
Hey blnewt is it at all possible to get a set of those gtr vinyl precuts for g37x sedan tail lights
Sure, I'll shoot you a PM.
Alexis Rivera (01-28-2017)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Anymore?

Same here please! Been dying to smoke the tails on my white sedan. Red just isn't doing it for me...
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Same here please! Been dying to smoke the tails on my white sedan. Red just isn't doing it for me...
Check your PMs
Alexis Rivera (01-28-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 10:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That looks great on your black car. It really helps the lights blend in with the paint nicely. On my white car, maybe not so much.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I think the trick is going to be to not go as dark on a white car. I saw one on Blue bat's site where he had a modest Vinyl overlay that looked really clean on a white G that made the color pop.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I think the trick is going to be to not go as dark on a white car. I saw one on Blue bat's site where he had a modest Vinyl overlay that looked really clean on a white G that made the color pop.
Good call. I might be able to make that look ok with the tinted windows and maybe tie it into a wrap for the bottom of the bumper if I go that way.

Quick Reply: Finally painted my tails (GTR style)