Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Sunroof FAILED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 PM
misael

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroof FAILED!

Whats up fellas, I have a 08 6mt with 35k. My sunroof won't close, (it stays tail up) which surprised me because the car has low mileage. I'm looking for a member that had a major part out to sell me the sunroof tracks.

Has anybody had the same problem?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by misael
Whats up fellas, I have a 08 6mt with 35k. My sunroof won't close, (it stays tail up) which surprised me because the car has low mileage. I'm looking for a member that had a major part out to sell me the sunroof tracks.

Has anybody had the same problem?
still under warranty?

are you sure it's not the actuator and not the tracks? the track won't be an easy fix nor cheap either
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 AM
misael

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
still under warranty?

are you sure it's not the actuator and not the tracks? the track won't be an easy fix nor cheap either
Is not under warranty anymore, it ran out last month.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 AM
QtrSkill
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
does it make grinding sound? cause thats exactly what mine does, stuck on tilt up.
The dealer is replacing it under warranty
I have read that its matter of some screws getting losse and its an easy fix, but opening it is the hard part.
lets see what others have to say
Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
mturo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had the same problem a month or two back, my car was fresh out of warranty and it was $1300 to get fixed. mine the motor was not even bolted to the car anymore it was just hanging there and one of the screws that held it to the car come how magically got on the sunroof tracks and damaged that as well. good luck hope its under warranty
Old 04-01-2012, 01:34 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Anything we can do to prevent this? I just ran out of warranty as well and this is making me want to not use the sunroof anymore lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Every winter the opening accumulates dirt which makes it struggle a bit to tilt. I clean that and it seems to help it tilt easier. Also keep the tracks lubed up. I believe lithium grease is best for the tracks.

I haven't checked if my motor is loose but that sounds like another good thing to check for preventative maintenance.

Doing this kept the sunroof on my bimmer in good shape.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Thank you sir!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
QtrSkill
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats great advice to keep it in shape
but i dont think theres anything we can do to prevent the screws from getting lose.. sometimes i get really disappointed with infiniti
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
jon23

This happened to me a few months ago. I usually leave my sunroof tilted up in my garage when it's warm outside. As I drove off my house, I tilted it down and opened it, well...as it tilted down I heard a kinda loud pop. And when it opened up, it got stock about 8 inches of the way and it wouldn't open or close anymore. Here I was with my sunroof half-open and I should've checked the weather on my way out, because the sky became dark real quick...

My car is out of warranty, but right before the warranty ended the dealer replaced my sunroof, so I called them up and told them about the issue. They hinted me that I'd have to pay for it since my car was out of warranty, to which I answered "...yes, I understand my car is out of basic warranty, but you guys replaced the whole sunroof not even 3 months ago...you mean to tell me you don't guarantee your work?"... Fast FWD 1 hour later, they found out the famous bolts that hold the motor up had loosen up and actually caused the motor to drop low enough to disengage! That was the pop I heard. They fixed it for free.

Mike asked about keeping those bolts from loosening, I've heard you can coat the bolt with glue or clear nail polish to help them stay in place, but haven't tried it myself. The bolts that cause the issue are right above the map light/sunglass console. You have to unsnap that piece, and they are right there.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sunroof failure on these cars usually just has to do with a loose screw holding in the motor. I guess they didn't put any Loctite on from the factory.

Sunroof Stuck Open..Help.. - Page 3 - G35Driver

If you get in there and put the screw back in, I'm willing to bet you will fix the problem. That link has some pictures that might help--it's the sedan, but the assembly should be exactly the same on the coupe.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 12-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FaiLasaurus (05-18-2013)