Body Interior Exterior Lighting Reviews on body interior exterior lighting for G vehicles.

Painting Headlight Units (Final Product Pictures) - Precaution + Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Painting Headlight Units (Final Product Pictures) - Precaution + Instructions

I just wanted to throw this tid bit out there - I haven't seen too many DIYs on the sedan side in particular. The entire process is much easier than you think. If you do have any concerns of questions, please do feel free to PM me. Anyways, the process of taking off the bumper and headlights are both very simple. A bit tedious, but nothing impossible. It's simply a couple of bolts and screws. Note that when you're taking off the bumper - be sure to add tape to both fender lines (will prevent scratching when you're putting the bumper back on). If I remember correctly, the headlights are held in by ~6 bolts on each side (you'll need an extension to access some of them).

Here's what I did (when I did it successfully): Each headlight unit went into my oven for 8 minutes ******ON A PAN***** on ******TOP OF CARDBOARD****** for a total of 8 minutes at a temperature of 200 degrees. Feel feel to place into an oven at lower temperatures as well. NOTHING OVER 200 though. If you haven't already heard the story, at 250 degrees, a wire harness of mine that I accidentally left hanging, caught fire and disfigured the entire headlight plastic piece in the back. I caught it within time, and long story short, I found the burnt harness online from another member (SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO VAIO who kindly looked through his material and shipped out the correct wire to me - I'd by out some major $$$ without you, sir). Note that ALL pieces of the headlight should be removed; others have done it without removing any of the bulbs, etc. but why take the risk? The wire harness that I left IN controls the high beam function and it's difficult to actually unhook (almost impossible to be honest). Leave that harness in if you must, but make SURE IT DOES NOT HANG off the pan.

As far as the removal of the lens went, I used brute muscle to rip it open; I was paranoid -- I took the headlight out early several times; if left in the oven for the proper time, it would've separated much easier. Anyways, tear apart the unit slowly. I ripped ONE tap, but to this date have been unable to retrace where it came from. The chrome trimmed pieces in the unit are held in by a few screws. I would recommend taking a picture prior so that you know where everything goes.

I sprayed them individually using engine enamel (satin black). I'll share a final picture with you all in a bit.

When you're putting the units back together, remember to use lots of silicone + clamps to the hold the plastic lens and housing together. I waited a day to actually place the pieces back together; on my previous vehicle, I did it too quickly and the newly painted pieces distorted the lenses with a hue of color (from curing I'm assuming). To put them back together, I used a roof based, high temp/waterproof silicone. I placed an initial line around the housing first, and then once I reattached the plastic lens with the housing, I placed another good layer of silicone around each unit. I used a flat head to spread/dab the silicone around, heavily. The headlights have yet to condense, so I'm assuming I'm safe.

In my opinion, probably the biggest appearance changing mod (even more so than my wheels).

Lastly, I do apologize that I was not able to take picture during the process - I was extremely...flustered from...this -->

Good luck!

Eric
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Any reason why u didn't paint the projector shroud?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 PM
HAWAIIAN821

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good! What did you pay for that lip? Please PM me where you bought it if it was online
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM
simonsez

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HAWAIIAN821
Looks good! What did you pay for that lip? Please PM me where you bought it if it was online
our online vendor : TunerZ Store sells it for under $400 shipped. OEM painted.
give Michael a PM at Hybrid_DET. Real nice guy to work with
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by antirice
Any reason why u didn't paint the projector shroud?
simply for looks - i wanted to retain some of the chrome on the car to go along with the grill and the foglight pieces

Originally Posted by HAWAIIAN821
the lip (oe) came "with the car" when i purchased it. sorry!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Rickblkg

looks good man, im super scared to do it on my G. I did it on my altima and it was really easy.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 AM
HAWAIIAN821

Originally Posted by aspec2006
our online vendor : TunerZ Store sells it for under $400 shipped. OEM painted.
give Michael a PM at Hybrid_DET. Real nice guy to work with
Thanks man, I'm gonna do that now

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 AM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props for having the cojones to strip your car down like that. I know it's no big deal, but just the thought of it runs chills down my spine. I'm good at eventually getting over it and jumping in to get it done, but I'm still in the warm-up stage.

Looks really good and thanks for sharing your ups and downs, ins and outs on the project!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
very nice man. i like how it looks with the chrome shrouds
Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
looking good!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
eksigned

appreciate the c&c guys!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you do btw to get amber part of the headlight darkened like that? I know some people on the 05s put in a totally different light to remove the amber piece. Did you just spray over that too? I will be doing this again this winter. I did it on my 05 coupe and it turned out great....at least until I sat on one of the housings and snapped it. I tried to put it back together and paint over it but you could still see it even afterwards, so I just bought the 06 projectors instead
Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
What did you do btw to get amber part of the headlight darkened like that? I know some people on the 05s put in a totally different light to remove the amber piece. Did you just spray over that too? I will be doing this again this winter. I did it on my 05 coupe and it turned out great....at least until I sat on one of the housings and snapped it. I tried to put it back together and paint over it but you could still see it even afterwards, so I just bought the 06 projectors instead
you're talking about the second "halo" bit right? when you get in there - you'll see a small screw holding in that housing (access it behind the chrome shroud - but note that the chrome shroud comes off with the actual plastic housing that over the entire unit; you'll see the screw immediately once you rip the headlight apart). once you wiggle it free - you can pop the clear, plastic lens right off. i took the amber housing out and painted the entire piece the same color as the rest of the chrome housing.