Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37 Coupe Spoiler (Must I Drill?) (Camera Cut Out?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Renegar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Coupe Spoiler (Must I Drill?) (Camera Cut Out?)

I'm looking at adding a spoiler to my G37 Coupe with rear view camera. Based on my review of the forum, a Grubbs or OEM spoiler appear to be the best ones to get.

I also found a write up "https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...r-install.html" that implies that there may be a way to install the spoiler without drilling holes in the exposed areas of the trunk. In other words...drilling only in the area under the chrome lip or just not at all.

Anyone who has added a spoiler care to chime in on opinions or comments regarding the drilling and if drilling can be limited to areas under the stock chrome finisher?

Last Question...does the spoiler "cut-out" block any of the cameras field of view?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegar
I'm looking at adding a spoiler to my G37 Coupe with rear view camera. Based on my review of the forum, a Grubbs or OEM spoiler appear to be the best ones to get.

I also found a write up "https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...r-install.html" that implies that there may be a way to install the spoiler without drilling holes in the exposed areas of the trunk. In other words...drilling only in the area under the chrome lip or just not at all.

Anyone who has added a spoiler care to chime in on opinions or comments regarding the drilling and if drilling can be limited to areas under the stock chrome finisher?

Last Question...does the spoiler "cut-out" block any of the cameras field of view?
No the cut out does not block any of the camera review and Yes the drilling only in the area under the lip is possible but its not recommended. The spoiler does come with some pretty good double side 3m tape that is use to stick the Emblems and stuff on so Im pretty sure you can just drill where under the camera is and use the double side tape to make it hold on to the trunk. I still prefer to drill to make sure it stays on
Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have Grubbs and drilled new holes. It does come with self tapping screws though and the camera view is perfect.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you install the camera with the grubbs?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

I removed chrome strip and put Grubbs spoiler on, camera hole was exact size and fit perfect.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Renegar

Originally Posted by Kidcane
I removed chrome strip and put Grubbs spoiler on, camera hole was exact size and fit perfect.
Interesting because the factory service manual clearly shows that the cameras are different between cars with chrome lips and those with spoilers. It's actually the mounting points for the two that are different.

So, to clarify, does the Grubbs spoiler have screw holes or something inside it for the stock camera to attach to?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
I thought the camera screws into the chrome strip. How did you attach it to the grubbs.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

The Grubbs spoiler definitely attaches to the camera.

However I dont know how because I had it put on at the dealership.

I purchased the spoiler from Grubbs and took it to Lokey to install.

Pics....

Before:
Name:  CIMG2358.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  80.6 KB

After:

Name:  CIMG2735.jpg
Views: 5793
Size:  87.7 KB
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Renegar

Great...and that last photo answered another concern I had regarding the camera hole itself. Someone else posted that the Grubbs spoiler has a round camera hole, but yours is clearly square and best of all clearly not a "cut-out". Easy to see that its mounted in the spoiler for sure.

Guess the other posters had the V1 Grubbs spoiler. I dunno.

Thanks again for your replies. I think the Grubbs V2 is the way to go here.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM
pharmade

I was the one who posted that my hole was round. I was able to find a rubber washer and used it to go between the camera and the hole so it provided a waterproof "fix". My spoiler also did not seem to fit quite right but that could have been my fault. All in all it still looks good and I don't have any problems with the camera although it does look like you're looking through a tunnel. My color was Amythest graphite and it was a great match. I bought mine in February '09 from Grubbs
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Renegar

Originally Posted by pharmade
I was the one who posted that my hole was round. I was able to find a rubber washer and used it to go between the camera and the hole so it provided a waterproof "fix". My spoiler also did not seem to fit quite right but that could have been my fault. All in all it still looks good and I don't have any problems with the camera although it does look like you're looking through a tunnel. My color was Amythest graphite and it was a great match. I bought mine in February '09 from Grubbs
I would have returned it. Sounds like you didn't get the right one from them or it may have been a version 1 or something. Did you ever get an explaination from Grubbs?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
pharmade

Originally Posted by Renegar
I would have returned it. Sounds like you didn't get the right one from them or it may have been a version 1 or something. Did you ever get an explaination from Grubbs?
Yeah, I would've but when I was fitting it on the car, I had it sitting on the trunk deck and I walked off for a second and it friggin' slid off onto my pebble driveway and got nick marks in the paint job. I about lost it and now it was unreturnable. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! Never even called Grubbs. I am living with it and touch up paint has helped some. The round hole does not look bad, it just took some innovation to make the camera look good in it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 AM
amorenoG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to see if it's possible for me to install a sipper on my 09 g37x. I have the chrome lip and I'm looking to get rid of it and add the spoiler with the break light as it will make it look way nice. Is it possible for me to do this?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 PM
ypdfwg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The camera is attached to the chrome spoiler. Take out the chrome spoiler and unscrew the camera from the chrome piece. Installed the camera into the fiberglass spoiler. I have to drill some holes on the trunk to attach the new spoiler. But if you don't want to drill hole, you can use 3M 2 sides tape and also 3M adhesive sealant 5200 fast seal for fiberglass (In red tube purchase from Home Depot for $13). This adhesive is permanent glue the spoiler to the bumper without drilling any hole. I used this adhesive on my front lip for my G37 Coupe (see my pictures in my profile). Good Luck!!!