Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37 back seat safety issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
go4gr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orbie
Exactly, the car is a 2+2 coupe, it is NOT meant to carry adults with any degree of comfort or practicality in the back seat. All of you are saying you tested this out and it didn't break your decision to buy the car. If you intended on carrying passengers in the back at any point of ownership and were going to be concerned about comfort and safety you should have moved on to the next car on your list. For me, I warn people that if they want to ride in my car it will be painful and not to complain because I gave them fair warning. This car was meant for two people max, anyone else rides at their own risk, no remorse
Then it's a good thing my wife's parents are shorter. They can fit no problem I'm sure!

When I was at the dealer's, the salesman told me not to bother get into the back. I'm 6'3" btw.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
nwryuber

its like that in a lot of coupes... mustangs and eclipse are the worst i've been in. my neck touches the roof and i have to tilt my head sideways.....
Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
dzine07

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we're lucky this car even comes with a backseat. think of the backseat as additional trunk space. glof clubs, milk, eggs, ex-girlfriends...etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM
tomcat146

Originally Posted by dzine07
we're lucky this car even comes with a backseat. think of the backseat as additional trunk space. glof clubs, milk, eggs, ex-girlfriends...etc.
Hmm......ex-girlfriends.... I like that . I need to map out a long stretch of bumpie roads.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
bthar

I don't have my G yet but do have a 5 year old and 3 month old and have tested out the car seats for both. Maybe I just needed to justify it to myself for the purchase but it really isn't that bad. The motorized seats (although a little slow) really help with getting the kids in and out. My five year old can even move the seat on his own, get in the booster seat, buckle the seat belt and we are ready to go. Head room obviously isn't an issue with the little ones. With the seat forward I can also easily step into the backseat floor and buckle in the 3 month old without any problem.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only serious issue you would have to worry about as far as safety is concerned would be in a roll over. with the glass being so close in a roll over the people in the rear seat could have their necks broken. I know this first hand as i had a gf pass away a few years ago while in the back seat of a coupe and it rolled over crushing her spine.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Fusionacid

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
The only serious issue you would have to worry about as far as safety is concerned would be in a roll over. with the glass being so close in a roll over the people in the rear seat could have their necks broken. I know this first hand as i had a gf pass away a few years ago while in the back seat of a coupe and it rolled over crushing her spine.
Wow, I never thought it could be that bad. Sorry to hear that. Thinking about purchasing a g37 but rethinking now i heard this story.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by Fusionacid
Wow, I never thought it could be that bad. Sorry to hear that. Thinking about purchasing a g37 but rethinking now i heard this story.
Well although i have delt with this personally it did not stop my choice to purchase this car. But I do not let people ride in the back exactly for that reason and when they ask why i tell them.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Fusionacid

Well although i have delt with this personally it did not stop my choice to purchase this car. But I do not let people ride in the back exactly for that reason and when they ask why i tell them.
what about people around 5'3-5'4? any saftey issues there?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by Fusionacid
what about people around 5'3-5'4? any saftey issues there?
I cant honestly say what the proper height is for the rear seat of the 37. I can say my GF was 5'0 that passed away in the rear seat....
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember that when I had gotten my 05 G35, the only downside in the safety department was that according to consumer reports the back seat was an absolute death trap if someone hit you from behind going like 40 mph. I have not heard or seen of anything like that with the G37, even though I try not to put people in the back of the car just because it is a pain in the ***. I am sure that Infiniti has addressed the problem by now and that it is safe enough to have people in the back seat.

bthar: If there is a way to turn off the front passenger air bag, you should probably do that rather than risking putting your baby in the back. Just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bthar
I don't have my G yet but do have a 5 year old and 3 month old and have tested out the car seats for both. Maybe I just needed to justify it to myself for the purchase but it really isn't that bad. The motorized seats (although a little slow) really help with getting the kids in and out. My five year old can even move the seat on his own, get in the booster seat, buckle the seat belt and we are ready to go. Head room obviously isn't an issue with the little ones. With the seat forward I can also easily step into the backseat floor and buckle in the 3 month old without any problem.
bthar,

May I ask what kind of child seats you have for your little ones? I take it you have one rear-facing and one forward facing - what type?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
go4gr8

When you buy a coupé, you must know that "it's about the two people in the front" and not the people in the back, for obvious reasons (lack of space and comfort). I also read somewhere that people driving coupés, especially couples, keep to themselves more often than not. And that the passenger is one who has a special relationship with the driver. Contrast this with four-door sedans where there's more room. But the type of people that buy those cars are more social than those with a coupé or 2+2.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

Interesting take on coupé target demographic analysis...

I would even go one step further and say this would be the case with certain coupés but not others...as the coupé segment is equally as divisible as the entire automotive segment...

I think that may be the case with the higher end coupés, like the Corvette - but I wouldn't say that for the Altima Coupé, Accord Coupé, Toyota Solara and Mustangs...

I think you have to take a look at the advertising to see good examples...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant honestly say what the proper height is for the rear seat of the 37. I can say my GF was 5'0 that passed away in the rear seat....
Passed away? seriously?

Quick Reply: G37 back seat safety issue ?