MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Body Interior Exterior Lighting (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-314/)
-   -   Seat Lowering Mod (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/174050-seat-lowering-mod.html)

tforbes 09-04-2007 08:05 PM

Seat Lowering Mod

Has anyone tried the seat lowering mod on a new G37? Looking to get one and was trying to find out if I should get a sunroof or not!!! Thanks!!!

Callaway 09-04-2007 08:09 PM

Are you talking about this?

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...T+LOWERING+MOD

I haven't heard about this until searched over on Driver.

tforbes 09-04-2007 08:20 PM

Yeah, I had never heard of it either until I ran across it searching for headroom specs a while back.

Callaway 09-04-2007 08:32 PM

I'll check for you tommorow whether our seats have the same type of bolts as the G35. I would think it should be pretty similar.

finagle69 09-04-2007 09:57 PM

this would be a nice mod. let us know if you figure something out. you can make a full blown DIY!!!

shumby 09-04-2007 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by finagle69 (Post 2223226)
this would be a nice mod. let us know if you figure something out. you can make a full blown DIY!!!

Please do, 6' 2" need more head......:D room

O NO 09-04-2007 11:23 PM

I believe someone did do a full DIY on it with pictures too :icon38:

If someone does find it, post up the linky and I'll drag it on over to here.

finagle69 09-05-2007 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by O NO (Post 2223262)
I believe someone did do a full DIY on it with pictures too :icon38:

If someone does find it, post up the linky and I'll drag it on over to here.

you're assuming the 03-07 mod would work on the new 08. i'm assuming it's different, but hope not.

Racer X 09-05-2007 07:57 AM

I'm 6'3'' and I test drove a G last night with a sunroof. I had the seat all the way down and my hair was barely touching the roof... I reclined the seat a bit more and moved the seat forward to nice comfortable position and it never bothered me again.

What I'm saying is that I would not do the seat lowering mod. It wouldn't be necessary for me.

CHI-TOWN G37 09-05-2007 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by shumby (Post 2223253)
Please do, 6' 2" need more head......:D room

I'm 6'-3" with Sport seats and sunroof. No seat mod necessary for me and that's a good thing! :biggthumpup:

ghideon 09-05-2007 08:52 AM

6ft2 over here as well, sport seats and moonroof. I fit fine.

EJ2000 09-05-2007 09:09 AM

6'6" here and make it by in the G35 with one seat position where my hair barely touches the headliner. I am curious about the G37 seat mod as well.... let us know!

InfinitiFreak 09-05-2007 09:16 AM

That is awesome that we have quite a few 6 footers that fit fine with the sport seat and sunroof. I am 6'2 so I was wondering if I would have any problems, thanks for the info guys!

CHI-TOWN G37 09-05-2007 09:21 AM

^ you will fit fine IFreak. I don't even have the seat all of the way back... plenty of room in this G.

gurneyeagle 09-05-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak (Post 2223315)
That is awesome that we have quite a few 6 footers that fit fine with the sport seat and sunroof. I am 6'2 so I was wondering if I would have any problems, thanks for the info guys!

I'm a shade over 6'1" and have plenty of headroom. Now I like to lean my seat back a good bit, but not overly so. In fact, I commented on the amount of headroom to the salesman at delivery.

SilkeG 09-05-2007 10:29 PM

Maybe this thread:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...light=seat+mod

tforbes 09-06-2007 03:51 PM

That's the thread, but it was done on a G35 and I wanted to know if anyone had tried it on their new G37...thanks

finagle69 09-29-2007 08:36 PM

has anyone tried this yet? just curious.

beeter! 12-26-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by finagle69 (Post 2228298)
has anyone tried this yet? just curious.

I just took delivery two days ago, and this is the first thing that I did. There's not really anything accessible from behind the seat on the G37, but there's a 12mm nut accessible from the front that has the same function. So, for the G37, the steps are something like:

1. Raise the seat up all the way and move it all the way back.
2. Look for a nut on a threaded rod underneath the seat, towards the front, pretty close to the door-side edge. It should be a rounded-top 12mm.
3. Loosen that nut as far as you feel comfortable (I used a screwdriver with a 12mm socket attached; I had to use a pair of vice grips on the screwdriver handle to get it moving, but from there on I was able to just turn it with my hand).
4. Make sure that the washer behind the nut moves forward with the nut.
5. Enjoy your additional headroom.

By moving the nut all the way to the end of the rod, I only got 1/4"-1/2" of additional headroom, but I'll take everything that I can get (6'6" tall). I might loosen it a bit more or take out the thick rubber washer in a little while if I decide that I need more headroom still.

fcarpio 12-27-2007 08:16 AM

One thing I did notice between the G35 and the G37 is that the G37's seats sit much lower than the G35's seats. Take it for a test drive before you worry about the seat mod, you may not have to do it.

go4gr8 12-27-2007 08:53 AM

Wow..are most 6-footers+ just torso?? :D
6'3" here and fit fine with completely lowered seat in the test drive.

DoubleParadoxx 12-27-2007 08:56 AM

The amount you prefer to recline or not recline the seat makes a huge difference.

RedHerring 12-27-2007 06:16 PM

When you recline the seat, you have to move the seat forward in order for your arms to comfortably reach the steering wheel. When you do that, you have to raise the wheel to get enough knee room, which changes the arm length again.

An extra even half inch would be fantastic.

UNV-IT46 12-27-2007 06:17 PM

just get aftermarket seats and call it a day....

RedHerring 12-27-2007 07:09 PM

This is quite easy to do. I raised the seat as far as it would go and I was able to adjust the seat easily. I feel like I am sitting like a foot lower, it made that much difference. Maybe my seats were out of spec before. There was about 3/4 of an inch of adjust ability there before. I ran the bolt out flush with the rod. It is easier to get to if you take off that trim piece on the front. You can't miss it. It pops out with two clips pull toward front of car inside out.

I can put my hand between my head and the headliner and not touch either one now. I am 6,1" with 30" inseam, 300lbs, mostly torso ( my son too ). My daughter looks like a normal female, but I am "torso-man". Everything about me is thick. (Might be a bit thick in the 'ead, I think.)

It's like driving a new car. Now I feel like I am *in* it rather than *on* it. Should have had it this way from the beginning.

ten94skyline 01-29-2008 10:04 PM

i found that taking off the nut then removing the thick washer works twice as good. just keep the nut and the thin metal washer on the rod and it lowers sooo much more. at first the door sill was about 2 or more inches below the height of my shoulder. then after doing this it is about level maybe even a little higher than my shoulder and I LOVE IT! feels a lot like the 350z this way because the door sills are very high in that car.

vINCe_Inc 01-29-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ten94skyline (Post 2262663)
i found that taking off the nut then removing the thick washer works twice as good. just keep the nut and the thin metal washer on the rod and it lowers sooo much more. at first the door sill was about 2 or more inches below the height of my shoulder. then after doing this it is about level maybe even a little higher than my shoulder and I LOVE IT! feels a lot like the 350z this way because the door sills are very high in that car.

pics please ! help all the tall mofos out... (including me):thewave:

ten94skyline 01-30-2008 12:37 PM

i'll post pics when i get home. its very simple. and with the big washer off the rod it lowers it sooo much more

Kidcane 01-30-2008 12:57 PM

I did this mod on my G35 but I dont seem to need it on my G37. The seat already sits lower when you drop it all the way down. I am 6'2" and have more room in my 37 then I did in my 35 with the mod.

vINCe_Inc 01-30-2008 07:32 PM

by losening a bolt, does that 'un-secure' the seat in any way ?

dalmond 03-04-2008 04:52 PM

Seat Lowering Mod

Did the seat mod on my G and gained about 3/4". :)

pass1over 07-30-2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc (Post 2263103)
by losening a bolt, does that 'un-secure' the seat in any way ?

no
The motor that makes the seat go up and down travels along the threaded rod under the seat. The nut and washer on the end is the stop for the motor.

The only way to hurt anything would be to take the nut off and mve the seat all the way down so it comes off that rod, but I dont think its possible.

The G37 does not have an acorn nut like the 35s did. Its a 12mm flanged hex nut.

mseibel 10-07-2010 02:23 PM

Are there any pics posted for this process (on the G37 --- I know about the G35 seat adjusment details)

avsBuddy 11-07-2011 04:36 PM

I'd like to lower the driver's seat on my G37 and second request for the mod pix if anyone got them. Thanks!

mishmosh 11-13-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by avsBuddy (Post 3277356)
I'd like to lower the driver's seat on my G37 and second request for the mod pix if anyone got them. Thanks!

Just did a diy with pics, using the info from this thread. Thanks to my G37 brethren for this!!!

avsBuddy 11-19-2011 01:43 PM

Thanks mishmosh for the guide. I will attempt the mod this Sunday! I have couple of comments though. You mentioned that when you removed both thick and the raised washer, rubber bushing doesn't get compressed all the way. Does it mean that the motor assembly is being supported not by the washers but by the end of the thread? In this case it's not a safe setup, because all weight of the seat is being held back by last span of the thread, rather then evenly distributed on washer.
I'm considering keeping all the hardware, and just lowering the nut to the lowest position where it fully encompasses the thread. I agree with you that rubber bushing having it's own metal washers on both side might not necessitate a separate large washer. But I wonder if it's absence will put excessive pressure on the rubber bushing long term...
But again, we are all adults here and do all mods at our own risk. Thanks for the detailed DIY. I will post update on how mine goes.

tbone12 11-26-2011 06:44 PM

Ive done the mod, it took 20 seconds and its pretty cool

mishmosh 11-26-2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by avsBuddy (Post 3287062)
Does it mean that the motor assembly is being supported not by the washers but by the end of the thread? In this case it's not a safe setup, because all weight of the seat is being held back by last span of the thread, rather then evenly distributed on washer.
I'm considering keeping all the hardware, and just lowering the nut to the lowest position where it fully encompasses the thread. I agree with you that rubber bushing having it's own metal washers on both side might not necessitate a separate large washer. But I wonder if it's absence will put excessive pressure on the rubber bushing long term...

I am not sure why the rubber bushing doesn't get compressed when you eliminate the thick washer and replace the raised washer with a flat one. The bumper assembly doesn't seem to support the weight of the seat at all given the angle of the rod, but just serves as a stop--when the motor encounters the resistence of the bumper, it stops. From what I can see, when you take out a washer and replace the raised washer with a flat one, it is almost as if the lower limit is somehow preset--the motor just stops mainly on it's own, rather than the rubber bumper. It also doesn't look like the actual gearing comes off the rod at all, just maybe part of the plastic on the end. From what I can tell, it is safe.

Skeptic74 06-16-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by beeter! (Post 2249587)
I just took delivery two days ago, and this is the first thing that I did. There's not really anything accessible from behind the seat on the G37, but there's a 12mm nut accessible from the front that has the same function. So, for the G37, the steps are something like:

1. Raise the seat up all the way and move it all the way back.
2. Look for a nut on a threaded rod underneath the seat, towards the front, pretty close to the door-side edge. It should be a rounded-top 12mm.
3. Loosen that nut as far as you feel comfortable (I used a screwdriver with a 12mm socket attached; I had to use a pair of vice grips on the screwdriver handle to get it moving, but from there on I was able to just turn it with my hand).
4. Make sure that the washer behind the nut moves forward with the nut.
5. Enjoy your additional headroom.

By moving the nut all the way to the end of the rod, I only got 1/4"-1/2" of additional headroom, but I'll take everything that I can get (6'6" tall). I might loosen it a bit more or take out the thick rubber washer in a little while if I decide that I need more headroom still.

I have tried loosenning the nut all the way and see no noticeable increase in headroom. It seems the seat is as low as it goes and just won't go any further.
I'm 5'10" and get bad back pains driving my 2011 g37xs coupe longer then a few minutes. It almost seems the steering wheel is too far away and the pedals are too close, and since I can't tilt the seat forward vertically enough (otherwise my head touches the ceiling) I must be slouching forward ever so slightly to reach the wheel. This becomes unbearable, I am thinking of purchasing some recaro sport seats, but I think I might end up with the same issue if they can't be lowered sufficiently either. I may have to sell this car and it's less then a month old!

avsBuddy 11-24-2023 03:28 PM

I'm 12 years too late with my mod update, but thought I say that I did it and was able to lower my car seat that I could enjoy my time in it all these years! I'm 6'2" btw. Have not had any issues with my driver seat as a result of this mod. Have been raising and lowering it as needed. Since it has been so long I don't remember exactly which parts I removed and which ones I kept, but I'm pretty sure that the thick rubber had to go to give me max headroom. I've sat in the latest (2024?) coup version of successor to my car, and driver seat situation is even worse that it was in my stock G37. I don't know why Infiniti likes to eliminate tall drivers from its potential buyers.

RobC7 11-24-2023 08:09 PM

I didn't know this existed but good to know! I'm 6'4' but I don't have any issues with headroom.