Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What is this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Slab
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this thing?

Hey, I just bought a 2011 g37x and while driving home I noticed this thing behind my rear view mirror. Durring the drive home it beeped at me a few times but I couldn't tell why it was doing that. I am just wondering if any of you guys know what this thing could be and if I should remove it or just leave it in.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/96et4gD
Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
I have a Mobileye system (same as gen1 Teslas), it beeps when I'm close to cars, drifting in the lane, when theres pedestrians present.
it's located behind the mirror, but Mines a bigger box with a small external display.
Maybe its something similar?
The following users liked this post:
Slab (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Slab
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is probably it. I noticed that it did beep when someone was walking in front of the car, however it did not beep every time I got close to something. It might just be a cheap one that the previous owner installed that doesn't always work great.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
You're welcome!
That bit looks like the display.
If there's no camera mounted behind the mirror. I'd go poking around the front bumper/grille area. If its a collision system there will be a sensor device tucked away there.... Unless you have the Technology package (adaptive cruise), then it may be wired into that module. , Just brainstorming here.

It could also be a very well hidden radar detector! Which may or may not be illegal depending on your jurisdiction.
The following users liked this post:
Slab (06-20-2019)