Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
The tax man cometh.....lol......... but that's already allocated ...so will keep an eye out, as one poster is already selling his...
I know man but when I was looking at the pics that were posted in the install thread the screen quality looks great, cant see anything wrong with it. Well I have plans to get it n I will definitely post my review for sure.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I have an 08 Sport Coupe w/ a FI Twin Turbo kit. I thought that was the going to be the last piece and my girl would be complete, but all adding the kit did was reset my aspirations. I'm now back to the aesthetics and functionality. A couple of weeks ago I was disappointed to find that there was NO aftermarket for the interior head unit. Anything fabricated would be completely custom and cost thousands of dollars, all because I have Nav. It's funny when I think about it.

Anyway seeing this really got me excited, so I've been subbed to the thread for a week. Thanks Bryan (Dat240zg) for the awesome install guide!!! I'm not ready to pull the trigger because I usually wait until something is proven for a while before buying; but admittedly I'm really interested. I guess the other thing is that I don't want to lose SiriusXM radio, just yet. I actually use it, lol.

Questions I have:
1. Do the USB ports also supply power from the radio to a flashdrive, hd, ipod, etc?
2. How do files from external storage show up on the screen? Does it play both video and music directly to the screen?
3. Will my factory 30-pin ipod connector and aux ports register on the radio and screen? (Or do I have to get the Carplay dongle to use an ipod now?)
4. How stable/accurate has the GPS antenna been since it's mounted inside the car? (Since the factory Nav will be replaced by Google Maps or Waze, I'm curious how accurate they've been for you guys.)
5. I've seen "sound quality improved w/ Bose" and "sound quality got worse"...any further feedback on this?
6. Anyone have subs with this new radio? I have a 1200 watt amp and 2 subs wired through my factory amp to the factory head unit. Wondering if I can maintain that setup.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll try to answer as many as I know.

1). USB ports are powered; I charge my iPhone with one and my flash drive with the other.
2). Files show up in a file manager app. Movies will play from there or from the video player apps. I use Apple Music, so I couldn't tell you about the tunes side.
3). I have the CarPlay dongle hooked up between the head unit and the factory USB port. When I plug in my iPhone, it automatically starts the CarPlay app. I believe that it will recognize your iPod as a storage device and play from there, but I could be wrong.
4). I use Waze directly from my iPhone and I've found it to be real accurate. I tried the Waze app from google play and wasn't too pleased.
5). If sound quality got worse, I can't tell. It could be that if you're an incredible audiophile with testing instruments, you could tell a difference. I can't. I took time to set up the equalizer and I'm happy with it. It has a DSP setting which I tried, and I found it to make the sound worse. I turned it back off and, presto, Lost by Lost Sky (song has a good range of notes) is sounding real good.
6). I know that there are RCA connections for subs and that Phoenix has an FAQ about using subs.

HTH,

Bryan
The following 2 users liked this post by Dat240zg:
InitialC (01-20-2019), jpowersjr2 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 PM
InitialC
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dat240zg
I'll try to answer as many as I know.

1). USB ports are powered; I charge my iPhone with one and my flash drive with the other.
2). Files show up in a file manager app. Movies will play from there or from the video player apps. I use Apple Music, so I couldn't tell you about the tunes side.
3). I have the CarPlay dongle hooked up between the head unit and the factory USB port. When I plug in my iPhone, it automatically starts the CarPlay app. I believe that it will recognize your iPod as a storage device and play from there, but I could be wrong.
4). I use Waze directly from my iPhone and I've found it to be real accurate. I tried the Waze app from google play and wasn't too pleased.
5). If sound quality got worse, I can't tell. It could be that if you're an incredible audiophile with testing instruments,
f c3you could tell a difference. I can't. I took time to set up the equalizer and I'm happy with it. It has a DSP setting which I tried, and I found it to make the sound worse. I turned it back off and, presto, Lost by Lost Sky (song has a good range of notes) is sounding real good.
6). I know that there are RCA connections for subs and that Phoenix has an FAQ about using subs.

HTH,

Bryan
-Did you download Apple Music and play it through the radio or are you sending it from your phone? I guess both are possible...?
-DSP, man I haven't heard that since I was putting pioneer radios in my cars 15 years ago, and it sucked then, lol
-My subs are wired into the factory amp in the trunk. My instructions were not to touch the head unit, so that with a bass **** was their solution. Don't think I'll need the RCA pre-outs to the radio. Although the FAQ -says the radio doesn't have support for subs.

Man...I wanna take the plunge. I feel like this is one of those items that will be around for a limited time and it's hit or miss whether or not you get a good unit......and that makes me hesitate.

Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Extreme gratitude!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Dat240zg can you post a picture of what the image on the new headunit looks like when the vehicle is in reverse?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:45 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
Dat240zg can you post a picture of what the image on the new headunit looks like when the vehicle is in reverse?
Bump on this. Everyone has said that the reverse camera works but there hasn't been a pic of what it looks like. Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

Excuse the glare. I did go in and change the camera settings to raise the brightness a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dat240zg:
InitialC (01-21-2019), jpowersjr2 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

This may be a double post. I answered earlier today, but can’t find the post now.

Heres the backup picture, higher res and bigger size too.

The following users liked this post:
InitialC (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 PM
InitialC
Registered Member

I wonder how it calibrates. I'm guessing the outline doesn't move like with the factory head unit.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

It you mean the guide lines, they move the same as from the factory. I still have the audible distance warnings, but I haven’t tested to see if they change colors as I get close to things.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:53 PM
InitialC
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dat240zg
It you mean the guide lines, they move the same as from the factory. I still have the audible distance warnings, but I haven’t tested to see if they change colors as I get close to things.
Stop giving positive answers, I'm going to mess around and buy one of these...
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Right?!? Lol
Old 02-03-2019, 02:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Are you able to download any aps on this screen aside from Apple Car Play or Android Auto? When I do track days I mount my phone to the windshield and open up the RaceChrono ap in the background to time my laps and keep the Torque ap open so I can see things like oil temp, coolant temp, intake air temp, exhaust temp, and speed. It would be awesome if I could get this stuff to show on this big screen instead of on my phone on the windshield. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:03 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
That would be sweet.

FYI they are having 10% off sale right now.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:44 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
That would be sweet.

FYI they are having 10% off sale right now.
link to this?

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread