Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Dat240zg
Ordered mine two days ago. Will do a complete install w/photos when it comes in. Mine was the 7.1 version. Also ordered the separate Apple Car Play unit as well.

Bryan
Dat240zg
Is this what you bought?

https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com...units-usb-port
Old 12-28-2018, 06:50 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

I will give the company props on response time for support questions. I already got an answer. The options listed on the site are the only ones available and he did not mention anything about being able to upgrade it. However TazRider just posted that video so maybe it is possible.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
It is.

I have a 2013 G sedan, Bose, non-Nav. Looking forward to getting it in and installing it!
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Does this use Google Maps for navigation? If so, how does it get data? Does it have a SIM card, or need to be tethered to your phone?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

It has built in WiFi so you connect it your phone's hotspot (or any hotspot).
Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

A few pics of this HU shows there' no backlighting at night. Is that true? Seems the HVAC controls aren't backlit? Posts 32, 45

Does it support separate sub output on RCAs, individually controlled, in conjunction with normal control of the Bose system? i.e. if I wanted to add a sub to my Bose setup, does it have the ability to sub-out on RCAs whilst still running the Bose setup?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
It has built in WiFi so you connect it your phone's hotspot (or any hotspot).
So, if I have a carrier who doesn't offer hotspot, I can't use navigation? (I subscribe to some cheap 3rd party cell plan, my smartphone costs $30 mo and they don't offer hotspot at all) Just want to be clear that I'd need to upgrade my cell plan to have working navigation....OR, does this do Android Auto? Like a newer OEM unit?
This unit basically NEEDs data if you want to use it?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Just asked them about navigation. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:47 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by takemorepills
A few pics of this HU shows there' no backlighting at night. Is that true? Seems the HVAC controls aren't backlit? Posts 32, 45
I'm sure they can be enabled/disabled but I will let other owners chime in. On Post 45 perhaps they aren't lit up because the headlights aren't on, not sure.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

takemorepills I just confirmed with support that navigation requires a hotspot in order to work.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

takemorepills I just confirmed with support that navigation requires a hotspot in order to work.
Thanks! I looked throught their website, they actually have a very good FAQ on this HU, and they covered that topic well, if only I read their site first.

The FAQ also clarified that one Android device can't run Android Auto from another device, but MirrorLink should be easily implemented.

Anyways, I am a cheapass, don't like the idea of paying extra for data to keep my car "connected". Even if hotspot is included on a cell plan, those cell plans are usually more expensive than what I have. And I rarely use navigation, even with Android Auto in my other vehicles, so paying extra to keep my car connected seems to be a bummer.

I also heard a rumor that Google has begun to remove Android branding....don't know what the implications are for Android OS accessories like this.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:15 AM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok, so yes, the manual controls for HVAC are replaced with new manual controls, and yes, they do still work manually or you can touch screen the HVAC. And they do light up when the dash lights are on.

Although Phoenix Android Radio is a vendor of these, they have been sketchy with shipping times and notorious for sending the wrong harness with the radio. I ordered mine through Asvegen via a group buy on FB, but they do have an Aliexpress listing. Took about 2 weeks, and sent me the correct harness.

I purchased the 2x32, the 2x64 wasn't an option when I ordered mine. As for the 2x64, they are an option, but haven't been produced yet. Talking to Asvegen, they are waiting for 5 preorders before production begins. I would assume Phoenix would also be doing the same thing as they all have the same manufacturer. As for the extra storage, USB jump drive for the win. To me, paying an extra $40 for 32gigs and Android 4.4 doesn't make sense when you can get 7.1 and a 1TB jump drive for cheaper...

Screen quality is excellent, this thing is heavy and feels well made, even the new trim feels like good material. FYI, you have to reuse the vents from the OEM trim, they just snap out and snap into the new one.

Navigation - you can use any navigation app you want; if it's in the Google Play Store, you can use it. I use Google Maps when my hotspot is on, and Offline Maps & Navigation when I have it turned off. Data, Hotspot, Wireless, and all that is NOT required to run navigation if you have an offline capable app.

Ok, I think I answered most the questions I see. Let me know if anyone has anymore questions.

Last edited by MNfiniti; 12-29-2018 at 12:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MNfiniti:
jpowersjr2 (12-29-2018), kon17 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:15 AM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Hotspot is required for online navigation, if you use an offline capable app, it is not required.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Thanks for confirming man, that's good to know!
Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
Ok, so yes, the manual controls for HVAC are replaced with new manual controls, and yes, they do still work manually or you can touch screen the HVAC. And they do light up when the dash lights are on.

Although Phoenix Android Radio is a vendor of these, they have been sketchy with shipping times and notorious for sending the wrong harness with the radio. I ordered mine through Asvegen via a group buy on FB, but they do have an Aliexpress listing. Took about 2 weeks, and sent me the correct harness.

I purchased the 2x32, the 2x64 wasn't an option when I ordered mine. As for the 2x64, they are an option, but haven't been produced yet. Talking to Asvegen, they are waiting for 5 preorders before production begins. I would assume Phoenix would also be doing the same thing as they all have the same manufacturer. As for the extra storage, USB jump drive for the win. To me, paying an extra $40 for 32gigs and Android 4.4 doesn't make sense when you can get 7.1 and a 1TB jump drive for cheaper...

Screen quality is excellent, this thing is heavy and feels well made, even the new trim feels like good material. FYI, you have to reuse the vents from the OEM trim, they just snap out and snap into the new one.

Navigation - you can use any navigation app you want; if it's in the Google Play Store, you can use it. I use Google Maps when my hotspot is on, and Offline Maps & Navigation when I have it turned off. Data, Hotspot, Wireless, and all that is NOT required to run navigation if you have an offline capable app.

Ok, I think I answered most the questions I see. Let me know if anyone has anymore questions.
my only concerned you mentioned was the backup camera, I know you had to splice but what wire exactly n thanks for the review.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread