Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
You can tap into the front pretty easily.
Where are you planning on placing the new tweeters?
somewhere on the rear door thinking by the door handle, I had brought my car in for service n a tech back into my car so the dealer gave me a 2018 qx50 loaner while my car was being repaired. The qx50 has bose premium n it had tweeters on the rear passenger door almost next to the door handle. So yea in the area. What do you think?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I wouldn't even mess with it if it was me honestly.
The rear speakers are in a bad spot to begin with. They are low and basically blocked by the front seats.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
I wouldn't even mess with it if it was me honestly.
The rear speakers are in a bad spot to begin with. They are low and basically blocked by the front seats.
I hear ya but that's even more reason I want to do the mod to help balance out the sound.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Bose-Infiniti system.

There's a series capacitor between the 3 inch midrange and the tweeter in the door sail, this acts as high-pass filter ( a crossover.) If you put another tweeter driver in parallel with the front tweeter, the electrical power going to the tweeter will be the same level but it will be divided between two tweeter drivers. So, while you get some highs in the back that you didn't have before, the highs in the front will actually DROP in level by about 3 dB, assuming both tweeters are the same.

And, since you will now have something like 2 ohm impedance in terms of the tweeters, this will shift the crossover point up by one octave unless you double the capacitance of the factory crossover between the midrange and the tweeter.

If you don't understand any of what I'm talking about, then it might be good if you got help from someone who has a handle on the basic electronics involved, or go to an installer and discuss your options.

It won't break anything to put in the extra tweeter, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for, and I think you may find that it wasn't worth the work involved. Just installing more drivers into an existing sound system usually doesn't produce optimal results.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by milosz
I assume you are talking about the Bose-Infiniti system.

There's a series capacitor between the 3 inch midrange and the tweeter in the door sail, this acts as high-pass filter ( a crossover.) If you put another tweeter driver in parallel with the front tweeter, the electrical power going to the tweeter will be the same level but it will be divided between two tweeter drivers. So, while you get some highs in the back that you didn't have before, the highs in the front will actually DROP in level by about 3 dB, assuming both tweeters are the same.

And, since you will now have something like 2 ohm impedance in terms of the tweeters, this will shift the crossover point up by one octave unless you double the capacitance of the factory crossover between the midrange and the tweeter.

If you don't understand any of what I'm talking about, then it might be good if you got help from someone who has a handle on the basic electronics involved, or go to an installer and discuss your options.

It won't break anything to put in the extra tweeter, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for, and I think you may find that it wasn't worth the work involved. Just installing more drivers into an existing sound system usually doesn't produce optimal results.
thank you so much for the info n while I do have some experience in electrical it's not much. I think I'm going to pass because like you said probably wouldn't be worth the work I'll go through just to complete the project. With that said it would've been a fun project. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Question:

Why wouldn't you either A) tap into the rear door speaker wiring or B) replace the rear speaker with a coaxial or separates mounting the tweeter higher in the door?

According to this thread analyzing the stock Bose setup, the rear door speaker runs full range.

-Eric
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
Question:

Why wouldn't you either A) tap into the rear door speaker wiring or B) replace the rear speaker with a coaxial or separates mounting the tweeter higher in the door?

According to this thread analyzing the stock Bose setup, the rear door speaker runs full range.

-Eric
I wasn't aware of the info you just shared, so for (A) option your saying I can tap into the rear door because they run on a full rang signal n all I would is a crossover for the tweeter n for (B) I would replace the rear door speakers with coaxial speaker that allows me to mount the tweeters at a separate location. Trying to figure this out the best way possible so plz dont mind the many many questions.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Gabebapes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not just spend the money on upgrading rear speakers speakers are cheap and most speakers should sounds crispy and most have tweeters attached
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
I wasn't aware of the info you just shared, so for (A) option your saying I can tap into the rear door because they run on a full rang signal n all I would is a crossover for the tweeter n for (B) I would replace the rear door speakers with coaxial speaker that allows me to mount the tweeters at a separate location. Trying to figure this out the best way possible so plz dont mind the many many questions.
Exactly!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
Exactly!
if I got with the coaxial will I need an separate amp??
Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

The author of the thread I referenced dropped in a pair of Polk Audio coaxials on the factory amplifier

I would spend some time reading the thread as it contains quite a bit of information.

-Eric
Old 11-29-2018, 04:36 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Redgoyabean ----- I tried to answer your PM but my answer was rejected and I got this error message from MYG37.COM:
Redgoyabean has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
So, clear out some of your older messages so I can reply.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by milosz
Redgoyabean ----- I tried to answer your PM but my answer was rejected and I got this error message from MYG37.COM:
Redgoyabean has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
So, clear out some of your older messages so I can reply.
hey I cleared space in my inbox so PM me