Tweeters - Page 2 - MyG37

Notices
Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tweeters

Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM
  #16  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid View Post
You can tap into the front pretty easily.
Where are you planning on placing the new tweeters?
somewhere on the rear door thinking by the door handle, I had brought my car in for service n a tech back into my car so the dealer gave me a 2018 qx50 loaner while my car was being repaired. The qx50 has bose premium n it had tweeters on the rear passenger door almost next to the door handle. So yea in the area. What do you think?
Redgoyabean is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
  #17  
blazeplacid
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 670
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
I wouldn't even mess with it if it was me honestly.
The rear speakers are in a bad spot to begin with. They are low and basically blocked by the front seats.
blazeplacid is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM
  #18  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid View Post
I wouldn't even mess with it if it was me honestly.
The rear speakers are in a bad spot to begin with. They are low and basically blocked by the front seats.
I hear ya but that's even more reason I want to do the mod to help balance out the sound.
Redgoyabean is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 AM
  #19  
milosz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago home of the 2016 world-champion Cubs!
Posts: 144
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Bose-Infiniti system.

There's a series capacitor between the 3 inch midrange and the tweeter in the door sail, this acts as high-pass filter ( a crossover.) If you put another tweeter driver in parallel with the front tweeter, the electrical power going to the tweeter will be the same level but it will be divided between two tweeter drivers. So, while you get some highs in the back that you didn't have before, the highs in the front will actually DROP in level by about 3 dB, assuming both tweeters are the same.

And, since you will now have something like 2 ohm impedance in terms of the tweeters, this will shift the crossover point up by one octave unless you double the capacitance of the factory crossover between the midrange and the tweeter.

If you don't understand any of what I'm talking about, then it might be good if you got help from someone who has a handle on the basic electronics involved, or go to an installer and discuss your options.

It won't break anything to put in the extra tweeter, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for, and I think you may find that it wasn't worth the work involved. Just installing more drivers into an existing sound system usually doesn't produce optimal results.
milosz is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 AM
  #20  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz View Post
I assume you are talking about the Bose-Infiniti system.

There's a series capacitor between the 3 inch midrange and the tweeter in the door sail, this acts as high-pass filter ( a crossover.) If you put another tweeter driver in parallel with the front tweeter, the electrical power going to the tweeter will be the same level but it will be divided between two tweeter drivers. So, while you get some highs in the back that you didn't have before, the highs in the front will actually DROP in level by about 3 dB, assuming both tweeters are the same.

And, since you will now have something like 2 ohm impedance in terms of the tweeters, this will shift the crossover point up by one octave unless you double the capacitance of the factory crossover between the midrange and the tweeter.

If you don't understand any of what I'm talking about, then it might be good if you got help from someone who has a handle on the basic electronics involved, or go to an installer and discuss your options.

It won't break anything to put in the extra tweeter, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for, and I think you may find that it wasn't worth the work involved. Just installing more drivers into an existing sound system usually doesn't produce optimal results.
thank you so much for the info n while I do have some experience in electrical it's not much. I think I'm going to pass because like you said probably wouldn't be worth the work I'll go through just to complete the project. With that said it would've been a fun project. Thanks.
Redgoyabean is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
  #21  
llebcire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 270
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Question:

Why wouldn't you either A) tap into the rear door speaker wiring or B) replace the rear speaker with a coaxial or separates mounting the tweeter higher in the door?

According to this thread analyzing the stock Bose setup, the rear door speaker runs full range.

-Eric
llebcire is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 08:54 AM
  #22  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire View Post
Question:

Why wouldn't you either A) tap into the rear door speaker wiring or B) replace the rear speaker with a coaxial or separates mounting the tweeter higher in the door?

According to this thread analyzing the stock Bose setup, the rear door speaker runs full range.

-Eric
I wasn't aware of the info you just shared, so for (A) option your saying I can tap into the rear door because they run on a full rang signal n all I would is a crossover for the tweeter n for (B) I would replace the rear door speakers with coaxial speaker that allows me to mount the tweeters at a separate location. Trying to figure this out the best way possible so plz dont mind the many many questions.
Redgoyabean is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM
  #23  
Gabebapes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not just spend the money on upgrading rear speakers speakers are cheap and most speakers should sounds crispy and most have tweeters attached
Gabebapes is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM
  #24  
llebcire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 270
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgoyabean View Post
I wasn't aware of the info you just shared, so for (A) option your saying I can tap into the rear door because they run on a full rang signal n all I would is a crossover for the tweeter n for (B) I would replace the rear door speakers with coaxial speaker that allows me to mount the tweeters at a separate location. Trying to figure this out the best way possible so plz dont mind the many many questions.
Exactly!
llebcire is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM
  #25  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire View Post
Exactly!
if I got with the coaxial will I need an separate amp??
Redgoyabean is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 AM
  #26  
llebcire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 270
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
The author of the thread I referenced dropped in a pair of Polk Audio coaxials on the factory amplifier

I would spend some time reading the thread as it contains quite a bit of information.

-Eric
llebcire is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 04:36 AM
  #27  
milosz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago home of the 2016 world-champion Cubs!
Posts: 144
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Redgoyabean ----- I tried to answer your PM but my answer was rejected and I got this error message from MYG37.COM:
Redgoyabean has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
So, clear out some of your older messages so I can reply.
milosz is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 PM
  #28  
Redgoyabean
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 226
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz View Post
Redgoyabean ----- I tried to answer your PM but my answer was rejected and I got this error message from MYG37.COM:
Redgoyabean has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
So, clear out some of your older messages so I can reply.
hey I cleared space in my inbox so PM me
Redgoyabean is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
steven92
G37 Coupe
7
11-11-2016 07:26 PM
dkmesa350z
Private Classifieds
0
12-16-2014 07:50 PM
Mixman
Audio, Video & Electronics
10
01-11-2010 12:42 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Audio, Video & Electronics
5
02-10-2009 10:32 PM
Kream
Audio, Video & Electronics
0
11-22-2007 12:27 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tweeters


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.