Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos
View Poll Results: Interested in Tesla style Phoenix head-unit
Yes
83.02%
No
16.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Phoenix (Tesla style radio)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 PM
IPL Twin
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please keep me posted I read another that did that will climate control
Old 06-29-2019, 11:25 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
And that is the reason why I didn't get this for my 09 seems like there's a lot of glitch still with the nav option
Old 07-07-2019, 02:04 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
FYI I took advantage of the sale that Phoenix has going on and got the new 6 core processor screen. We will see how long it takes to get in. As soon as I get it though it's going back out to Mazterpiece Automotive to get wrapped in carbon fiber along with my other interior trim pieces.
The following users liked this post:
IPL Twin (07-07-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM
CoolRunninJA
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
FYI I took advantage of the sale that Phoenix has going on and got the new 6 core processor screen. We will see how long it takes to get in. As soon as I get it though it's going back out to Mazterpiece Automotive to get wrapped in carbon fiber along with my other interior trim pieces.

Have you gotten this in yet? I bought the same system directly through alibaba. 6core. Got it setup. My main issue is that the built in microphone doesn’t work in 3rd party apps. It does work on phone calls tho. Was wondering if you have this same issue.

I contacted the manufacturer and they said the engineers are aware of this. I’m curious to know if yours works.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:29 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

I got my harness in early last week and I'm picking the screen up from USPS tomorrow on Monday. I bought mine from Phoenix Automotive directly so I am not sure if there are exactly the same or if there is a slight difference. Honestly IMO, I would never buy anything off of Alibaba. Such a shady/sketchy website. I have been in direct contact with Phoenix over the past year and they have been very helpful in answering any questions/concerns I've had. Having said that, as soon as I get it, mine is getting shipped right back out to Mazterpiece Automotive to be wrapped in carbon fiber along with the rest of my interior trim. I'll update my build as it progresses.

What 3rd party apps are you noticing this on? Does it work for CarPlay(assuming you have an iPhone) when you want to send a text? If the engineers are aware of this then hopefully the fix is a simple software/firmware upgrade. I'd only be using the mic for calls and voice to text (for CarPlay).

Cheers!

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 07-28-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:23 PM
CoolRunninJA
Registered Member

I got my harness in early last week and I'm picking the screen up from USPS tomorrow on Monday. I bought mine from Phoenix Automotive directly so I am not sure if there are exactly the same or if there is a slight difference. Honestly IMO, I would never buy anything off of Alibaba. Such a shady/sketchy website. I have been in direct contact with Phoenix over the past year and they have been very helpful in answering any questions/concerns I've had. Having said that, as soon as I get it, mine is getting shipped right back out to Mazterpiece Automotive to be wrapped in carbon fiber along with the rest of my interior trim. I'll update my build as it progresses.

What 3rd party apps are you noticing this on? Does it work for CarPlay(assuming you have an iPhone) when you want to send a text? If the engineers are aware of this then hopefully the fix is a simple software/firmware upgrade. I'd only be using the mic for calls and voice to text (for CarPlay).

Cheers!
What specs do you have car wise? I have. 13 with Bose, nav and backup camera. If you have the same specs... could you send me a picture of the harness you got?

I got the CarPlay feature. The mic doesn’t work on any android based app or even CarPlay. There seems to be an option for external microphone - did your harness come with this? I’ve been doing some research... there are possibly 4 harnesses. They sent me 2 of them. everything works but they didn’t send me the external microphone.

I would advise you to test the radio before you wrap it...one guy on the Facebook group got 2 bad units from Phoenix.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

I have an '08 sport 6mt with Bose, navigation, and backup camera.

Here you go:

I was nervous at first when I saw QX50 on it. I emailed them and they verified that it was the correct harness for my specific year/model/features.

Man I am really glad you said that last part. I will definitely be testing it first before sending it out to get wrapped. Trust but verify.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 PM
CoolRunninJA
Registered Member

I have an '08 sport 6mt with Bose, navigation, and backup camera.

Here you go:

I was nervous at first when I saw QX50 on it. I emailed them and they verified that it was the correct harness for my specific year/model/features.

Man I am really glad you said that last part. I will definitely be testing it first before sending it out to get wrapped. Trust but verify.
Both my harnesses say q50 on it but both are different. The harness you have looks like the one that didn’t work for me. Let me know how you do with installation.

Let me know if you get a microphone with your radio. An external one.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:49 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Will do. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this week/weekend.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 PM
CoolRunninJA
Registered Member

Will do. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this week/weekend.
did you get your radio?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Somebody stole my car radio and now I just sit in silence....

Ha anyways.... I have an '08 6mt coupe with NAV, backup camera, Bose.

Screen is installed. Car started and screen booted up on my first try. I've almost got everything working properly. I have some of my steering wheel controls working and still need to figure out why my OEM backup camera isn't working. I think I might have received the wrong plug for this but need to verify. Other than that, the unit operates pretty damn smooth and fast so far. CarPlay is great (sometimes have to plug it in twice but not a huge deal). I did notice the audio coming from the preloaded songs (stored in unit) do sound louder than playing Spotify through CarPlay. Having said that the audio sounds just as good if not better. I already can tell I will need to do something about the built in MIC. I had to almost yell to Siri to get it to send a voice-to-text.You have some EQ options to play around with as well. I also need to figure out how to customize the split screen as well as upload an image of my car for the background. I am going to keep researching my current issues/questions. Unfortunately I knicked a couple places on my interior trim. The damn '08 interior is so soft and brittle now that it has some age on it. I will eventually replace the whole dash from a newer model. I already replaced the driver/passenger side lower kick panels to the '12 model ones. They are one piece and not that spongy, vinyl that is attached by adehsive to a plastic backing. Check out my IG for more pics; jpowers36.

Also my trim is apart because I am getting it wrapped in carbon fiber. Then I'll do the screen.

Quick shot of the screen:

And since I never post pics of my car on here (hmm what's in the reflection lol):

Any advice or questions just let me know boys!

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 07-30-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Somebody stole my car radio and now I just sit in silence....

Ha anyways.... I have an '08 6mt coupe with NAV, backup camera, Bose.

Screen is installed. Car started and screen booted up on my first try. I've almost got everything working properly. I have some of my steering wheel controls working and still need to figure out why my OEM backup camera isn't working. I think I might have received the wrong plug for this but need to verify. Other than that, the unit operates pretty damn smooth and fast so far. CarPlay is great (sometimes have to plug it in twice but not a huge deal). I did notice the audio coming from the preloaded songs (stored in unit) do sound louder than playing Spotify through CarPlay. Having said that the audio sounds just as good if not better. I already can tell I will need to do something about the built in MIC. I had to almost yell to Siri to get it to send a voice-to-text.You have some EQ options to play around with as well. I also need to figure out how to customize the split screen as well as upload an image of my car for the background. I am going to keep researching my current issues/questions. Unfortunately I knicked a couple places on my interior trim. The damn '08 interior is so soft and brittle now that it has some age on it. I will eventually replace the whole dash from a newer model. I already replaced the driver/passenger side lower kick panels to the '12 model ones. They are one piece and not that spongy, vinyl that is attached by adehsive to a plastic backing. Check out my IG for more pics; jpowers36.

Also my trim is apart because I am getting it wrapped in carbon fiber. Then I'll do the screen.

Quick shot of the screen:

And since I never post pics of my car on here (hmm what's in the reflection lol):

Any advice or questions just let me know boys!
Some where on the forum is anthoner thread on this screen, I believe for the backup camera you need a step down converter. Good luck n the screen is looking nice.
jpowersjr2 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:10 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Yeah that is what I have found in my research as the potential solution.
IPL Twin (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:16 AM
IPL Twin
Registered Member

Tesla screen

For all that money you should not need a converter they need to devise a solution
Old 08-07-2019, 03:22 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IPL Twin
For all that money you should not need a converter they need to devise a solution
Not really. Go to Best Buy/Amazon/wherever and see what kind of headunit/receiver/screen you get for $500-600. For the amount of features you get and for the price, people need to stop complaining about this device not being 100% plug 'n play, and realize a few things. This screen was designed for a car that comes with numerous configurations/options as far as NAV, bose, backup camera, and how it all connects behind the scenes. Then the model year changes and that introduces additional updates/changes that are sometimes not seen until after a customer has installed it (which is what we see all over the FB group page). They were probably trying to keep costs down as well by having the minimum amount of different harnesses that would work for all model years. A company selling a product, with these features, for that cheap has obviously not tested as thoroughly as other "big names" would have like Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, etc. The same people that bit** about it not working 100% are the sames ones that aren't going to fork over the money for a "big name" solution such as the Alpine i209 ($2k). Another thing to mention is that this is a Chinese based company with a location in CA. Screens come from China, harnesses from CA. So is anyone really surprised that there are QC issues?

There is no definitive answer on what years need the step down converter in order for the factory backup camera to work. Most research I have found says that my '08 does not need one in order to work. I will continue to dig more and see what I can figure out.

Quick Reply: Phoenix (Tesla style radio)