Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos
View Poll Results: Interested in Tesla style Phoenix head-unit
Yes
83.02%
No
16.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Phoenix (Tesla style radio)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 PM
F13SC
Registered Member

Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by StaySyk
What harness did they send you?
Not sure but my car is a 2013 G37s coupe with navi & Bose
The following users liked this post:
IPL Twin (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:25 PM
F13SC
Registered Member

[QUOTE=StaySyk;4237832]I bought the Android 7.1.1 2gb ram with 32gb memory. 08 G37 Coupe (Bose + Nav + Cam)

I'm enjoying the unit so far but it does come with it's issues. The UI could use some work and the glitches don't help, they outsource their dev team so.... this is kind of expected .
My Bose audio has taken quite a hit with only my front speakers working decently (rear are like 40% sound). Does anyone have Bose working like OEM with theirs? Looking into wiring aftermarket amp/sub and running everything through there.

Overall the screen looks great and it's made my commutes 10000x better.

[
/QUOTE]

I wouldn't, I have the Bose system. I installed an Audio Control LC7i and wired it before the Bose amp. It works great
Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 PM
F13SC
Registered Member

I got this artwork done for my Tesla screen
jpowersjr2 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:36 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
its interesting how urs seem to work and for others its a nightmare lol
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 PM
F13SC
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
its interesting how urs seem to work and for others its a nightmare lol
For now the only problem I have is the back-up camera, when it turns on the pic is full of lines. Within 5 seconds it clears all out.

Sometimes front camera takes a bit to show pic but once it does it, it works great. Works even better than the oem rear one.

I'm not good in computer stuff so I got help to set my screen up, even how to get my car in the screen. For those that do know computers it's very easy for them.

I was told that they already have an update for my screen that takes care of some of the bugs and makes it run faster. Again I'll have someone help me do it.

I wish I can help but I really can't
Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 PM
geedirtyban

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=F13SC;4239942]
Originally Posted by StaySyk
I bought the Android 7.1.1 2gb ram with 32gb memory. 08 G37 Coupe (Bose + Nav + Cam)

I'm enjoying the unit so far but it does come with it's issues. The UI could use some work and the glitches don't help, they outsource their dev team so.... this is kind of expected .
My Bose audio has taken quite a hit with only my front speakers working decently (rear are like 40% sound). Does anyone have Bose working like OEM with theirs? Looking into wiring aftermarket amp/sub and running everything through there.

Overall the screen looks great and it's made my commutes 10000x better.

[
/QUOTE]

I wouldn't, I have the Bose system. I installed an Audio Control LC7i and wired it before the Bose amp. It works
great
okay wait, my system sounds like crap, what exactly do i need to do to connect it to the stock bose amp?
jpowersjr2 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:08 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeah I would like to know as well. I'm not pulling the trigger on this until I know how to get everything working correctly.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Gaspeed

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I just wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding my Tesla screen on my 2008 G37S Coupe with Bose and is a manual transmission. I got mine through a group buy back in November 2018 and received it the first week of December. I was one a the few who received these units first back then. I did not get it installed until the first week of January 2019. The reason for that is because I did not know how to install it and I did not feel comfortable even attempting to try it. I've installed radios in the past but they were straight forward and not really challenging like this Tesla screen. So through the facebook page I found someone who was very knowledgeable and was actually the first one to successfully install this unit in a G37 with everything functioning correctly. He also figured out why many others where having issues with their installs which is because the harnesses that were supplied to everyone else depending on the model year were incorrect. This installer was Dustin Eagleton located in Arizona. I contacted him and made an appointment and drove 6 hours from California.

Long story short Dustin installed my unit flawlessly with no issues at all. At that point I believe I was his third install of this Tesla unit in a G37. If you guys scroll back to page 2 where someone posted a post of Dustin installing and figuring out how to correctly wire the back up camera on a 2008 G37S with the Bose system, that was my car he was working on. My backup camera works when I put it in reverse and works also when I'm moving forward while driving. He also installed a front camera that I can turn on any time as well. I can use bluetooth and wifi at the same time. I have no static while listening to music and no static going into reverse either.The volume and sound was just as good as it was with the stock system. My phone calls are fine with no drops or cutting out. Bluetooth music has been great and using navigation like Google Maps of Waze at the same time has never been an issue. Spotify does not shut down or anything like that and when I turn my car off and get back in and start it up again Spotify automatically plays where it left off. Movies play fine too.

It's really unfortunate that many people are having issues while installing these units but based from what Dustin told me and from what I've seen is that it only takes a few plugs in the incorrect spot to cause many issues in the car from it not starting to getting many warning lights on the dash especially if you start the car without having all the connections plugged in the right spot. Many issues occur as well when the ac box is not plugged back in with the Tesla unit. I've read that others experience their AC not working and others not being able to turn off their car.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that it is all in the INSTALL. If it's done correctly you shouldn't have any issues (unless it's truly a defective unit). I'm fortunate that I got mine installed correctly. I've had my unit for almost 6 months now and I've never had a single issue. With all that said, this for me is 10 times better than the stock unit and I enjoy using it on my G37.

For those that did install these on their own and had issues and were able to resolve them...Kudos to you guys because if that was me I don't think I would be able to figure it out and at the same time I wouldn't be as patient as well.

Lastly, for those thinking about getting the unit...as long as you do your research on how to install these Tesla Units correctly you should not have any problems. Good luck.

jpowersjr2 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Appreciate that update, just boosted my confidence on this unit. I've been contemplating it for quite some time, mine is an '08 6spd with Bose/NAV.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:53 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
is the issue the instructions no good? (im assuming it comes with instructions)
people are just not following the instructions correctly?
or it requires uninstructed custom splicing to get right?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
from what i have read, it seems like initially it may have been poor parts shipped with units and as well as proper/detailed instructions....i had planned to purchase, but after reading some of the issues, decided to wait....though it is a fair price for the unit, I think that price in itself should provide better instructions. sucks to blindly plug away and then f up your car etc....but glad yours is working gaspeed, it keeps me on the fence and revisiting this purchase etc...btw, that is a nice coupe ...i have to say, when done/modded right, the g's don't seem to age or look outdated...my 19yr old nephew is looking at pics of your car and drooling lol
jpowersjr2 (06-14-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:45 AM
JersonCarbs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
thanks but I have a 2013 so I would still need to figure out which wire it is, plus I thought we were discussing how to get the backup camera to work when in reverse, I really have no need to view mybackup camera while driving. So if the plug n play works with the backup camera then I'm good to go.
Send me those instructions how fix my camera..i need it!...lol
Old 06-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Matthew Reimer
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed mine 2 days ago. Made sure to have the battery disconnected and plunged the two plugs back into the white CC box. Turning the car on for the first time it was basically freaking out and it didn't try to start at all. Upon investigation I unplugged the above harness and everything worked and the car started. Except I have no climate controls at all. The system comes on and seems to maintain a temp around 74F. What am I missing? I also tried plugging the original CC controls in and that didn't give me controls either. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Any luck Matt R?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Matthew Reimer
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Any luck Matt R?

They're saying it's a faulty unit. Sending it back for a replacement.
jpowersjr2 (06-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Phoenix (Tesla style radio)