Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos
View Poll Results: Interested in Tesla style Phoenix head-unit
Yes
83.02%
No
16.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Phoenix (Tesla style radio)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 PM
ARogers502
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gio37
At first it looked pretty cool to have this screen installed. I was actually interested but man, last thing you want is an electrical problem.

So it is a "no" for me.

g/l
As an update and to be fair to Phoenix Android Radios the electrical problem was created by me. I plugged stuff up wrong it turns out. If they would include in their instructions to not unplug the unified meter box there would have been no issue at all.

My biggest peeve of all, is they barely ever responded to any of my emails and never picked up the phone once. I had to solve this through a dealership. Everything about the unit is great so far except backup camera. It's making static noise through my speakers when on and sometimes the picture is just fuzz until the image slowly comes into view. Weird.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:07 PM
ARogers502
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I’m.A.G
I contacted them in every single way. I missed their one and only call back today.
Im so frustrated.
Bro this right here. Man I've called them 10 times. Never gotten an answer. Emailed them countless times and all they've responded with is "here's a youtube install video link"

The thing is, one of my questions was how to get them to send me the correct harness for my friends G37 since they sent the wrong one with his unit.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 PM
ARogers502
Registered Member

So here's the only issues I've encountered now that I have my unit installed.

1. My backup camera causes static through my speakers no matter how I adjust the wiring or what volume the unit is on.
2. My backup camera looks like snow for the first few seconds of being on and eventually fades into view but it's not very bright at all (so dark it's almost unusable)
3. When people take calls from me, I have to lean up to the unit and talk louder than usual to be heard and my friends say my voice breaks up a lot even when I do.
4. With the torque app installed for on screen ECM diagnostics and live data, I have to touch like 10 mm above wherever the screen shows the buttons are located. Weird.

I'll update as I use it more. I just returned home with a 128gb flash drive that I'm going to load files onto and test it.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ARogers502

1. My backup camera causes static through my speakers no matter how I adjust the wiring or what volume the unit is on.
2. My backup camera looks like snow for the first few seconds of being on and eventually fades into view but it's not very bright at all (so dark it's almost unusable)
3. When people take calls from me, I have to lean up to the unit and talk louder than usual to be heard and my friends say my voice breaks up a lot even when I do.
4. With the torque app installed for on screen ECM diagnostics and live data, I have to touch like 10 mm above wherever the screen shows the buttons are located. Weird.

I'll update as I use it more. I just returned home with a 128gb flash drive that I'm going to load files onto and test it.
I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem unfortunately it wasn't through Phoenix which really sucks. I really hope you figure out the back up camera issue n as always plz keep us posted.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:20 PM
mikluhin97
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...e-phoenix.html

just bought one and started a thread for those who want detailed installation video and q and a etc. gonna share everything from delivery time to installation.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Update. Didn't fry my BCM. Turns out the other Unified Meter plug was swapped also. Cost me $164 at the dealer....
You have a good dealer. Mine sees anything aftermarket and they get annoyed. Glad you got it sorted- that unified meter/ac amp can be a b¡tch. Have fun with your new toy!
Old 03-30-2019, 07:55 AM
ARogers502
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
You have a good dealer. Mine sees anything aftermarket and they get annoyed. Glad you got it sorted- that unified meter/ac amp can be a b¡tch. Have fun with your new toy!
I was all factory when they fixed it. Then I got it home and attempted the install this time without unplugging the unified meter at all. That made me successful this time. I didn't I want them to see the aftermarket radio and freak out.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 AM
ARogers502
Registered Member

Update: they finally responded to my email and suggested I change the brightness of my screen to fix my backup camera. The brightness was turned all the way up. Plus that doesn't fix static playing through the speakers and snowy look on a screen anyway. It's like I gave them three different symptoms and they latched onto the easiest one to make suggestions for.

I put music videos and entire movies on the 128gb flash drive and it plays everything great. I still have a lot to learn though (torque app setup and how to get gps working).
Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 AM
rtg21
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do they have connection for a subwoofer? R/L RCA outputs for subs?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM
StaySyk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Android 7.1.1 2gb ram with 32gb memory. 08 G37 Coupe (Bose + Nav + Cam)

I'm enjoying the unit so far but it does come with it's issues. The UI could use some work and the glitches don't help, they outsource their dev team so.... this is kind of expected .
My Bose audio has taken quite a hit with only my front speakers working decently (rear are like 40% sound). Does anyone have Bose working like OEM with theirs? Looking into wiring aftermarket amp/sub and running everything through there.

Overall the screen looks great and it's made my commutes 10000x better.

The following users liked this post:
IPL Twin (04-23-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:59 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Man, all that makes me not want to get it, this is why I'm still on the fence and waiting on more people to install/try. Others have posted that the UI is smooth and some not. What kind of glitches are you experiencing? The fact that the entire audio system is affected is a big negative for me. Did you consider wiring it to the Bose amp? While the stock system may not be the greatest, I've always been pleased with it (minus the bass but I have sub to install for that).

Car looks really good by the way

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 04-07-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Man, all that makes me not want to get it, this is why I'm still on the fence and waiting on more people to install/try. Others have posted that the UI is smooth and some not. What kind of glitches are you experiencing? The fact that the entire audio system is affected is a big negative for me. Did you consider wiring it to the Bose amp? While the stock system may not be the greatest, I've always been pleased with it (minus the bass but I have sub to install for that).

Car looks really good by the way
Has anyone wired the tesla unit to the bose amp, if that can't be done I wont be buying the unit.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:23 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeah I'm right there with you. This guy just did:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...phoenix-2.html

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 04-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
F13SC
Registered Member

Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts
My Tesla screen made my Bose sound a lot better. It made my trunk & rear speaker even louder
Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM
StaySyk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F13SC
My Tesla screen made my Bose sound a lot better. It made my trunk & rear speaker even louder
What harness did they send you?

Quick Reply: Phoenix (Tesla style radio)