Phoenix (Tesla style radio) - Page 3 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > Audio, Video & Electronics
Reload this Page >

Phoenix (Tesla style radio)

Notices
Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos
View Poll Results: Interested in Tesla style Phoenix head-unit
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Phoenix (Tesla style radio)

Old 01-06-2019, 09:16 PM
MNfiniti

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean View Post
would you help out with the backup camera, going to buy 1 of these n want everything to work properly. Thanks in advance.
The backup camera is only an issue with 10-13 non-nav with Bose vehicles. You have to move 2 wires in the harness and wire in a 12v-6v step down converter. If you need the info, I can copy / paste the facebook post on the fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to MNfiniti For This Useful Post:
jpowersjr2 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Redgoyabean

Originally Posted by MNfiniti View Post
The backup camera is only an issue with 10-13 non-nav with Bose vehicles. You have to move 2 wires in the harness and wire in a 12v-6v step down converter. If you need the info, I can copy / paste the facebook post on the fix.
I have a 2013 with bose n navi so if i still need to make some modifications that's cool, if you can copy n paste the instructions that would be AMAZING. Thanks in advance. You the man.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:29 PM
celwin

I wonder how this would work with my existing LOC. Looks like it's depth is not as great as the stock unit; Which would be a good thing for me. If I did not have an after market sound setup, I would probably try this; But no way i want to redo all that.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Poly_Pusher

Anyone aware of information regarding powering the unit outside the car? I still have a while to wait for my correct harnesses. Sure would be nice to power it up in the living room and get everything installed/customized.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Landshark

Originally Posted by Poly_Pusher View Post
Anyone aware of information regarding powering the unit outside the car? I still have a while to wait for my correct harnesses. Sure would be nice to power it up in the living room and get everything installed/customized.
Amazon Amazon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Landshark For This Useful Post:
jpowersjr2 (01-08-2019), Poly_Pusher (01-08-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 AM
ARogers502

A little confused about the difference between the Phoenix and the Asvegen screen. Are they same or just similar?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Landshark

Originally Posted by ARogers502 View Post
A little confused about the difference between the Phoenix and the Asvegen screen. Are they same or just similar?
i believe Asvegen manufactures and sells them, Phoenix just sells them.

they are the same unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Landshark For This Useful Post:
jpowersjr2 (01-11-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Iím.A.G

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2 View Post
When I purchase mine, I'm thinking of a couple things visually I might change. Such as carbon fiber wrap on that black trim and painting those silver ***** gunmetal.

On a random side note. Has anyone attempted to paint their interior door handles? Not the pulls but the handle/lock you use to open. I'm assuming I would definitely need to sand them down past that finish or perhaps it a weird foil wrap like our cheap key buttons. Then primer, paint, clear. I'm in a slow process of turning any silver/polished trim to gunmetal or carbon fiber.
Iíd like to see the trim final product....
Old Today, 01:03 AM
RANDY350Z

Two questions:

Can the screen be split for navigation and video?

Can the usb port in the arm rest be used ?

thanks
Old Today, 01:08 AM
ARogers502

Originally Posted by RANDY350Z View Post
Two questions:

Can the screen be split for navigation and video?

Can the usb port in the arm rest be used ?

thanks
It appears that right out of the box the navigation and video are split unless you change the interface yourself.

The USB in the armrest is still used but it also adds another USB port that you can locate wherever you wish. It appears that some people have had success with adding 1 terabyte drives to this extra port.
Old Today, 06:20 PM
RANDY350Z

Originally Posted by ARogers502 View Post
It appears that right out of the box the navigation and video are split unless you change the interface yourself.

The USB in the armrest is still used but it also adds another USB port that you can locate wherever you wish. It appears that some people have had success with adding 1 terabyte drives to this extra port.

that sounds great!!! Thanks for responding!! Sounds like I will be ordering this!!
Old Today, 06:43 PM
ARogers502

Originally Posted by RANDY350Z View Post

that sounds great!!! Thanks for responding!! Sounds like I will be ordering this!!
No problem. If there's one suggestion I would make, it's this. When you're doing the installation, don't unplug the unified meter/ac amp box at all. That way you can't mix up the plugs on it and **** your car up like mine is right now. Removal should be as follows: I'll be making a thorough write up with pictures soon as well.

Chock your wheels
Turn start button on but without foot on the brake so the car doesn't start
Put car in drive with engine off
Disconnect negative battery cable
Pull shifter boot down and expose the metal shift **** clip.
Remove shift **** clip and lift **** off (secure the clip somewhere safe)
Pry up at edge of center console bezel that surrounds the shifter and remove the bezel (unplug any plugs under it)
Remove plastic trim below HVAC controls (pry from the right lower edge)
Remove two screws at bottom of HVAC control panel and pull the panel out (unplug everything from it)
Remove two screws holding the radio display bezel/dash vents in place and pull the panel out
Remove two screws holding the radio display in place and pull display out (unplug everything from it)
Remove two screws holding the disk changer/player in place and pull outward from the dash (the screws are at the bottom and deep in there)
***At this point, remove the two star bit screws holding the Unified Meter/ AC amp box to the disk changer and push it back into the dash***
Unplug anything connected to the disk changer and remove it completely.
You are ready for installation of Phoenix radio now.