Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2012 G37x convenience = safety issue?? Please correct me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:19 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 G37x convenience = safety issue?? Please correct me.

So i thought it was neat how i could enter and start the vehicle wirelessly all the time by pressing the rubber unlock button on the door handle. I would never have to take a key out of my bag or pockets. Then i realized anyone who knew i had this feature could do the same, and run off with my car, provided they knew i was close enough to my car. What an easy prank. What sort of preventative measures are there?? How many metres is the transmitter rated for??
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
In the U.S., you can't start the car by pressing the door unlock button. You have to press and hold the brake as you press the starter button. (Stupid lawyers)

Passive read range seems to be about five feet (1.6 meters). I'm sure it's listed in the owner's manual.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:34 PM
lektrix
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
In the U.S., you can't start the car by pressing the door unlock button. You have to press and hold the brake as you press the starter button. (Stupid lawyers)

Passive read range seems to be about five feet (1.6 meters). I'm sure it's listed in the owner's manual.
I meant that if one had an opportunity to get into the car (if close enough), would it not be reasonable to assume that the car can also be started (yes by pressing brake and hitting Start Engine) and then driven away? And once driven away I'm SOL because there is no way to stop the car and no "smart" way for the car to stop the engine because it has detected that the wireless remote is nowhere near the car? Apologies in advance if my theories are wack and stupid but it seems like something like this could happen!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I think the antennas for the door lock button, start button and trunk button have a very short range to the point that the start button wont work if the keys not in the drivers seat or the console area (i.e. even the passenger seat and the back seat are too far) for the door lock and trunk lock button its probably about one or two feet....theres a diagram from infiniti in one of the manuals showing the exact operating ranges but I cant find it right now.

So basically unless the person is sitting in the driver's seat with the key the key will be too far from them to start it....so basically you don't have to worry about the scenario you mentioned.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Cross country X

No the transmission lock will not disengage and allow the car to go into gear without the keyfob being located n the vehicle. It will read NO KEYFOB DETECTED on your dash LCD. You can try it, start the car normally or using the handle button, place the keyfob outside the car and try to drive away. It will not work.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Cross country X
No the transmission lock will not disengage and allow the car to go into gear without the keyfob being located n the vehicle. It will read NO KEYFOB DETECTED on your dash LCD. You can try it, start the car normally or using the handle button, place the keyfob outside the car and try to drive away. It will not work.
Soon after getting my car this was my thought as well, but NOT true. You can drive the car without the key if car has already been turned on, car will display no key, that is all.

To OP Sometimes even sitting in drivers seat car will display no key so i assume range is very very short so no worries with someone starting up your car and driving off say if you were hanging right outside car.