Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 Sedan Big 3 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 PM
0MGG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 Sedan Big 3 Upgrade

Hey guys how’s it going? Was wondering if anyone can give me some info on the big 3 upgrade for the g37 sedan. I have a 2012 g37 sedan and I was reading that when doing the big 3 to skip the grounding from the battery negative to chassis ground because of the battery current sensor meaning it’ll run the alt full time? Does anyone know if this is true and if it’s suggested to skip that part of the big 3. I would preferably like to get the best grounding possible because of my audio system and upgraded battery so hopefully someone can confirm if that is true or not specially those who are running any type of grounding kits. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second for the big 3 it’s
battery negative to chassis
batter positive to alternator
engine block to chassis ground?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
You can still connect the ground cable from battery to chassis, but you will want to route it through the current sensor (it's a tight fit).

This thread will have some good info... https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post4197087
Old 08-09-2018, 11:29 AM
0MGG37
Registered Member

@entcee thanks so much for taking the time to send that link. Was looking through the forums but that answered my question for me. I’ve decided not to mess with the current sensor (maybe I’ll add an 8 gauge through it in the future) but do you think my charging system will be helped if I add the other 2 grounding wires. 1/0 gauge 100% copper from the alternator + to battery and engine block to chassis? Or is it not worth it? I have a lot of spare 1/0 copper wire and I like working on my car so time and money isn’t a factor, just trying to get the proper juice flowing through my car with the added sound system and air suspension components to make sure none of my electrical is taking too much of a strain. Also if it matters I have a xs power d3400r battery installed
Old 08-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 0MGG37
@entcee thanks so much for taking the time to send that link. Was looking through the forums but that answered my question for me. I’ve decided not to mess with the current sensor (maybe I’ll add an 8 gauge through it in the future) but do you think my charging system will be helped if I add the other 2 grounding wires. 1/0 gauge 100% copper from the alternator + to battery and engine block to chassis? Or is it not worth it? I have a lot of spare 1/0 copper wire and I like working on my car so time and money isn’t a factor, just trying to get the proper juice flowing through my car with the added sound system and air suspension components to make sure none of my electrical is taking too much of a strain. Also if it matters I have a xs power d3400r battery installed
Will your charging system be helped? Probably not. Most people do grounding wires to help reduce the 7AT lag (which has been debated over and over). That said, since you have the wire and like working on your car, worth it or not, I say do it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 PM
0MGG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Entcee
Will your charging system be helped? Probably not. Most people do grounding wires to help reduce the 7AT lag (which has been debated over and over). That said, since you have the wire and like working on your car, worth it or not, I say do it.
so aside of the 7AT lag upgrade, adding both of those wires without the ground to chassis wouldn’t help the current flow to my amps/air management ? Normally the big 3 is popular in the car audio world so it’s the only thing I’ve ever used it for, on the forums most ground kit I see in example the (black Betty grounding kit) people only mention they use for performance which would be the transmission lag and not many mentions if it would help their audio. Just trying to see if even adding those 2 wires would help any of the current flow for peace of mind
Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Entcee
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 0MGG37

so aside of the 7AT lag upgrade, adding both of those wires without the ground to chassis wouldn’t help the current flow to my amps/air management ? Normally the big 3 is popular in the car audio world so it’s the only thing I’ve ever used it for, on the forums most ground kit I see in example the (black Betty grounding kit) people only mention they use for performance which would be the transmission lag and not many mentions if it would help their audio. Just trying to see if even adding those 2 wires would help any of the current flow for peace of mind
If they help or not has been debated and there is no clear answer. I lean toward minimal (if any) benefit.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 PM
0MGG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Entcee
If they help or not has been debated and there is no clear answer. I lean toward minimal (if any) benefit.

got it, thank you so much for all your replies. I’m gonna go ahead and do the “big 2” and if anyone wants an update I’ll be sure to come back and add if it personally made a difference in my application.