Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37S coupe won’t start. Yellow key light stays on after car is switched to on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Isaiah Winburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I tried the work around clutch switch test and that didn’t work either. It’s the same as if I were to press the clutch in and press the button. Also when I unplug the clutch sensor and just press the start button it just cycles to off. So clutch sensor should be good. Should I checked the fuse panel on the bottom left of the driver side and all fuses that seem like they are related to starting seemed fine. Still really confused by this.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
What exactly did you do?

Disconnected the harness from the lower clutch switch, connected a jumper to its pins of the harness and tried starting the car? Did you do this while the pedal was depressed (or at least not actuating the top switch)? I'm not sure what the logic is in the ECU, but you can't have a condition where both the top and bottom switches are actuated, that will confuse the ecu and probably not allow the car to start either.

Also when I unplug the clutch sensor and just press the start button it just cycles to off.
What response would you expect? I'd wouldn't expect the car to start.

What was the switch continuity test result?

--------------

This is the switch in question - https://www.z1motorsports.com/switch...ch-p-6225.html

According to my notes in a different thread, it's a NO type so when you close it it closes the circuit (makes a noise or read 0 ohms on the dmm).

I suppose you could have other issues or starter issues, but without a proper diagnosis it's all just guesses.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Isaiah Winburn

JSOLO hey so I went out and tinkered with it some more and disconnected my battery and reconnected after about 15 minutes. It fired up and then I drove it around for about 45 minutes. My battery leads look pretty rough, espcially my positive one. Should I try switching those out?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Isaiah Winburn

Originally Posted by Isaiah Winburn
JSOLO hey so I went out and tinkered with it some more and disconnected my battery and reconnected after about 15 minutes. It fired up and then I drove it around for about 45 minutes. My battery leads look pretty rough, espcially my positive one. Should I try switching those out?
but it when I parked it and turned it off and tried to start it again It’s doing the same issue that we first talked about. Won’t start, amber key light.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaiah Winburn
This hasn't got anything to do with your battery leads. You need to follow the posts above to rule out the switch and go from there, throwing parts at it isn't helping anything.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Look under the steering wheel cover and try this

If that works let me know.

I removed the fuse under the hood to "fix" this issue.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Is this steering lock thing only found on older models? I don't believe I even have a steering lock. Actually n/m, according to this it was eliminated in later models - https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...ck-recall.html

That said, the OP's car is going into accessory and on/run mode, just doesn't crank. This is different from what's in the video.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Is this steering lock thing only found on older models? I don't believe I even have a steering lock.
My car is a 2011 and still had the locking mechanism.

Hopefully he finds an easy fix
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Trialmountain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check battery
Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Plug fob into dash near trunk button and see if it starts
Old 07-21-2018, 01:40 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

OP was last here almost 2 weeks ago. I do wonder if/how the issue got resolved.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
midnightmenace

Same make, model, and year - except mine is Automatic

Did you ever figure out the solution to it?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
just because batteries are "new" doesn't mean they are good. take it to Autozone or something and have it checked. and clean the terminals and cable connectors if you say they look "pretty rough".
Old 07-24-2019, 04:32 PM
lilcdog72

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check for water next to the battery I'm going through the same thing

Sometimes when it rains water get stuck next to the battery and you fuse box is more than likely submerged in it and you need to bury it out going through the same thing
I’ve been struggling with this for a while now. My 2008 g37s will not start. I brought it to a Nissan dealership and they said that it passed a diagnostic, and that my car was good to pick up. I drove it all the way home without it giving me any issues even stalling it a couple times in traffic and it started right back up. Once I let it sit at my place for a couple hours and wanted to get food later that night I went to go start it up. It will cycle to on but will not start. The yellow/amber key light on my dash just stays illumnated and the car won’t crank when I push in the clutch all the way and try to turn over the engine nothing happens, no click or clicking noises. Things I have done already

-new optima redtop battery

-new positive battery lead fuse assembly

-checked the steering lock on the column it is actuating and unlocking properly( I can hear it when I shut the door after the car is turned all the way off and I can feel it unlock when car is switched to on.)

-unplugged battery and plugged back in

-keyfob has brand new battery and is linked to car. (Car recognizes it for unlocking doors and if I place key outside while car is switched to on it noticed it is missing and says no key.)
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Clean the white stuff off terminals with brush and vacuum it up. Put some terminal protectant on battery and terminals. Stock battery is acid cell which needs distilled water pop cap and check levels.

Quick Reply: G37S coupe won’t start. Yellow key light stays on after car is switched to on.