Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

JL sub and amp advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:05 AM
STEVEfromLA
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
JL sub and amp advice

I reached out to 2 incredible members here but thought to post for more advice since I was trying to get installed this week. I decided I’m not trying to do this install on my 12 sedan. Music taste is that I like full music and the Bose system is lacking any type of base. It kinda bugs me that my last car Hyundai had a stock 8” sub and sounded so much fuller. I’m not into license plates rattling so one 10” sub is what I would like.

Install will be JL 10” sub, JL amp, an loc and a bass ****

sub:
Leaning on JL cs110g-tw3-d4 sealed box shallow mount sub 400 rms
the other is the bigger brother cs110g-w6v3 sealed box 600 rms
both are 10” and I know the w6 is better, but I’m thinking of trying the tw3 first.

amp
Installer said stick with the JL rd500 rms amp no matter which sub to go with. Another shop said go to 700-750 amp if I do, so not sure on this. (I like the self tuning leds on the rd series that don’t require additional hardware to dial it in before clipping occurs.) Doesn’t seem like the other series have this.

loc:
Getting l2ci since stops sub from decreasing when turning louder and since I’m keeping stock head unit.

Wiring kit:
I am not sure on gauge size, brand, or even what kit to use.

Wiring:
Since Im not attempting this, do I really want to give the installer info on what wires to tap into? Any instructions I should give them to ensure better result?

Bass ****:
just getting the JL version and putting under steering wheel very low. I am okay with leaning forward to adjust.

Any and all advise on sub, if amp for either selection is good, and wiring advice on gauge,is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:39 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVEfromLA
amp
Installer said stick with the JL rd500 rms amp no matter which sub to go with. Another shop said go to 700-750 amp if I do, so not sure on this. (I like the self tuning leds on the rd series that don’t require additional hardware to dial it in before clipping occurs.) Doesn’t seem like the other series have this.

Larger more cable amps are less likely to destroy subs than lower, underpowered amps that clip early. The larger amp will give you room to grow but realistically, the sound difference between 500 and 700 watts will be determined more by the efficiency of the sub than the output of the amp. In general, you have to double the power to raise the output sound 3dB's

Wiring kit:
I am not sure on gauge size, brand, or even what kit to use.
I believe the JL web site recommends AWG4 for the power wire. This is probably sufficient for a single sub amp. Im not so much a brand or kit guy as I am wire quality and intended usage. Welding cable has always been my go-to for high amperage power delivery. The jackets are usually neoprene which is tough and rugged, the strand count is high and the copper is high quality. Just about any welder is going to require more current than almost any reasonable car amp so rest assured this cable will work. Its half the price of brand X and I hate advertising for those guys anyway! Having said that, if you go to an installer, he will try to sell you on the triple brand X Oxygen free cable which is mostly sales hype.

Wiring:
Since Im not attempting this, do I really want to give the installer info on what wires to tap into? Any instructions I should give them to ensure better result?
Probably not, any reputable installer will know exactly where to tap into the stock system to drive your sub. However, it is entirely your decision on what products he is to use unless you trust his judgement and can afford his price. Most installers I've had the privilege of working with were very professional and extremely collaborative. As long as you don't come off like a know it all punk, they'll steer you right!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Music taste is that I like full music and the Bose system is lacking any type of base. It kinda bugs me that my last car Hyundai had a stock 8” sub and sounded so much fuller. I’m not into license plates rattling so one 10” sub is what I would like.
just get a powered sub if you don't need to shake the neighborhood. its also easy to remove if you need the trunk space - undo one connector and the plug for remote volume control, and remove.
my Kicker 10" sealed enclosure powered sub was less than $200. just needed to buy Positaps, and wire for battery and ground + connectors,
i listen to metal/thrash, so the sealed enclosure provides some nice tight accurate bass.

the Kicker works fine for what i wanted, or you could go with something that has more power ...
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136933...AaAt9KEALw_wcB

Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 PM
STEVEfromLA
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Thank you for all the advice. I have my install set up for tomorrow.

Audio control l2ci LOC
JL RD500 Amp
JL TW3 10” Sub

For the bass **** is there any difference to having bass **** connected to LOC or a bass **** directly to the Amp?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I ran one of the small JL boxes in my 07 G sedan and it filled out the bass nicely. I think I had an Alpine mono amp. Anyway, it provided enough to satisfy me at the time but nothing amazing. In my 13 G coupe I have the 4080 corner box with a 10 inch SKAR VVX-3. this time I went with a mono Rockford Fosgate punch amp and it is amazing. It can easily overpower the stock system so I have the sub volume control up front so I can vary the power depending on the music.

I got both parts cheap--the SKAR from Amazon and the amp from a reward program at work. I didn't have high expectations but have been blown away. I'm sure you have your installation completed by now but having the amp in and set up you can easily change out the sub/box. If you can get a custom corner box I highly recommend that particular SKAR sub--it was designed by the guy who started Sundown audio and you can still get the 10 inch model for 119 bucks. Truly amazing bang for your buck.