Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Can Nissan track your car to repo it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Mr.Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Nissan track your car to repo it?

'12 g37xs sedan with Navigation.. For reasons I'm not getting into, I've fallen quite behind on payments.

Recently, the "Traffic" icon appeared on my navigation map screen, and green lines show on certain roads in what I assume to be a clear traffic lane.

In the 4 years I've had the car, this "traffic" feature has never been activated. And I've never seen green lines on the map roads.

My paranoia is they are tracking my car to repo it.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
apparently there's a free XM preview going on, as my car suddenly starting announcing severe weather alerts.

pay your bills, though.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
No, they cannot track your car. If your car is going to be repo’d it won’t be by Nissan directly. They contract that work to someone. I hope your financial situation improves. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
If your car is going to get repoed its either going to happen late in the evening while you are at home or during the day while you are at work. The contract company is going to go to your car, verify the VIN, hook it up, then come get you are tell you if you want anything out of the car to get it out now before they take it.

If you want to avoid the repo make contact with the lending organization and make arrangements to get caught up. Avoiding them and their calls is only going to speed up a repossession.

Lastly if the situation is really that bad to where you cannot pay your bills you may just be best off giving the car back. Just know, whether you give the car back, or it is repossessed you are still responsible for whatever amount they do not collect once the car is auctioned. For instance, if you still owe $13k on the loan, and they get $5k at auction, you'll still be responsible for $8k on a car you no longer possess. That is even more reason to make contact with the lender and make arrangements.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Scottvdken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On newer cars they have begun installing LoJacks in order to disable the car if you fall far enough behind, however I'm pretty sure they are required to disclose that to you. If they did not, then no - you are not being tracked.

The traffic is from a free XM preview happening now.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Jones
'12 g37xs sedan with Navigation.. For reasons I'm not getting into, I've fallen quite behind on payments.

Recently, the "Traffic" icon appeared on my navigation map screen, and green lines show on certain roads in what I assume to be a clear traffic lane.

In the 4 years I've had the car, this "traffic" feature has never been activated. And I've never seen green lines on the map roads.

Thoughts?

It wouldn't surprise me if they were?
Your vehicle already has a vehicle data recorder that in case of a severe accident the police and insurance company can retrieve the vehicle speed, whether brakes were applied and other info from that black box.

With the navigation system if you scroll thru the menu and press "where am i" you will get your location co-ordinates along with elevation. I don't think it would be too difficult to match your VIN number with your Nav software to know exactly where the vehicle is located. If you have a cell phone that location can be tracked also.

What you should do is just pay your bills and don't go into excessive debt on a vehicle that you can't afford. After four years you should have been able to pay off your loan.
Sell the vehicle and switch to a Honda or some other cheaper vehicle until your financial situation improves.

I'll bet you spend extra money on feeding your vehicle premium gasoline while unable to make timely payments?

Just my $.02

Telcoman
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottvdken
On newer cars they have begun installing LoJacks in order to disable the car if you fall far enough behind, however I'm pretty sure they are required to disclose that to you. If they did not, then no - you are not being tracked.

The traffic is from a free XM preview happening now.
That's not how it works. It's not on "newer cars" its on cars sold at buy here pay here lots to high risk buyers. No new car comes from the factory with that.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Scottvdken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stealthee
That's not how it works. It's not on "newer cars" its on cars sold at buy here pay here lots to high risk buyers. No new car comes from the factory with that.
My wifes brand new Nissan Altima would like a word........

Bought from a Nissan dealer, has Lojack. the salesperson explicitly told us that's what it was there for.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I wouldn't recommend giving it back or letting them repo !

The bank would just sell it for whatever they can get at auction and they'll come after you for the balance.
I would say sell it yourself so you can get the maximum value because you are still responsible for whatever amount once the car is sold.

g/l
Old 05-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Why would you worry about repo if you are current on loan
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Why would you worry about repo if you are current on loan
Originally Posted by Mr.Jones
.... For reasons I'm not getting into, I've fallen quite behind on payments.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Do you have Facebook account?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:53 PM
slovell1
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pay your bill or get something you can actually afford.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
None of you know the OPs situation. His predicament could be something you never considered, like helping out family members who are sick or in some other dire need. Maybe he unexpectedly got laid off from a good paying job. It could be lots of things besides being a deadbeat. He asked a question and many of you are jumping to conclusions and pronouncing judgments on him or his situation without really knowing any of the facts. If that’s all you’ve got to offer, it’s better that you don’t post and simply move along. Thanks.

Last edited by Black Betty; 05-30-2018 at 08:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Betty:
Epiphany (05-31-2018), G37xS-Life (05-30-2018), ILM-NC G37S (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 08:01 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
None of you know the OPs situation. His predicament could be something you never considered, like helping out family members who are sick or in some other dire need. Maybe he unexpectedly got laid off from a good paying job. It could be lots of things besides being a deadbeat. He asked a question and many of you are jumping to conclusions and pronouncing judgments on him or his situation without really knowing any of the facts. If that’s all you’ve got to offer, it’s oriba better that you don’t post and simply move along. Thanks.

I can't agree more. Life happens and we all got to play the hand we are dealt with to the best that we can.