Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Streaming solution for non-Nav equipped car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Klayfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Streaming solution for non-Nav equipped car?

Hey gang! Just took delivery on Friday of a 2013 G37. This is actually our 3rd G series car. I bought my wife a '94 G20 way back when we were just engaged, then she had an '05 G35x when it was new. So when it came time for us to shop for a bargain sports/luxury sedan, the G was a top contender. She actually fell in love with the 328i, but I'm not willing to risk the reliability issues they have. So G37 was the answer. My car is a non-Nav package car.

Shame on me for not doing research, but I had assumed the car had a 3.5mm aux port, as there is an "aux" button on the stereo. That's what I get for assuming, I guess. I'm not a tech savvy guy at all, I don't even text. But I do listen to a podcast from my phone, and used to do it from the 3.5mm jack in my last car, a Hyundai Elantra. My phone is an old school Android. I searched the forum and found older threads about this issue with the G37, However, I don't know that I saw anyone found a reliable solution. I don't want to buy an Apple product, and I'm not interested in pulling the stereo (don't have skills to do that), so I'm looking for a plug and play type solution.

Has anyone found anything that works, where removing the stereo isn't needed? I'd also want something that won't interfere with the factory Bluetooth in the car for making and receiving calls. I don't need high quality sound, just need to be able to hear it through the car speakers.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Daed88 (06-10-2023)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Klayfish

After digging more into posts on this forum, I did find a recommendation for Blue Mono app that works on Android. I tried it, and it does work, but with really poor sound quality. Given that it's free and I'm just listening to a podcast, it's acceptable, but is there anything better?
Daed88 (06-10-2023)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 PM
ross7778

I've tried a few different things but nothing works. Maybe you can find a cheap used Apple iPod Touch?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Klayfish

Thanks! Problem with that is it's not stored music I want to play, but streaming a podcast from a website. Besides, to say it mildly, I'm not an Apple fan...LOL

For now, I'll give the Blue Mono app a try and see if it's tolerable.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Cathy Mackey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klayfish
Hey gang! Just took delivery on Friday of a 2013 G37. This is actually our 3rd G series car. I bought my wife a '94 G20 way back when we were just engaged, then she had an '05 G35x when it was new. So when it came time for us to shop for a bargain sports/luxury sedan, the G was a top contender. She actually fell in love with the 328i, but I'm not willing to risk the reliability issues they have. So G37 was the answer. My car is a non-Nav package car.

Shame on me for not doing research, but I had assumed the car had a 3.5mm aux port, as there is an "aux" button on the stereo. That's what I get for assuming, I guess. I'm not a tech savvy guy at all, I don't even text. But I do listen to a podcast from my phone, and used to do it from the 3.5mm jack in my last car, a Hyundai Elantra. My phone is an old school Android. I searched the forum and found older threads about this issue with the G37, However, I don't know that I saw anyone found a reliable solution. I don't want to buy an Apple product, and I'm not interested in pulling the stereo (don't have skills to do that), so I'm looking for a plug and play type solution.

Has anyone found anything that works, where removing the stereo isn't needed? I'd also want something that won't interfere with the factory Bluetooth in the car for making and receiving calls. I don't need high quality sound, just need to be able to hear it through the car speakers.

Thanks!
Gosh, I'm in the same exact boat as you. ASSUMED the Aux button would allow streaming. I've been exploring f.m. converters that plug into cigarette lighter. I hate to have some gizmo sticking out from my dash on a luxury brand car. Shame on Infiniti for not having an AUX port as a work around.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:15 PM
mven74
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a solution. USA SPEC. I have a non nav 2013 G37. I can stream Google Music, Amazon Music, etc. Plug and play. No need to remove radio.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mven74
I found a solution. USA SPEC. I have a non nav 2013 G37. I can stream Google Music, Amazon Music, etc. Plug and play. No need to remove radio.
you gonna share how that works?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 PM
mven74
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
you gonna share how that works?
The site does not include the 2013 but after a few email exchange with costumer support, they confirmed it will work. And it does. Took me 10 mins to install. Got it from the crutchfield. I will try to attach the link.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_581BT45INF/USA-Spec-BT45-INFI.html?search=usa_spec_bt45-infi&avf=N&skipvs=T

Last edited by mven74; 04-24-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: missing link
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 PM
ross7778

Amazon Amazon

Same one?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 AM
mven74
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ross7778
Yup, that's the one. I didn't purchase from amazon because they are not an authorized dealer and will not be covered under warranty by usa spec. I've been using it for a few days now. The only thing negative is the steering wheel control does not advance/go back to next song. I have to use the **** on the radio. Song artist and title is shown too.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:30 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Yup, that's the one. I didn't purchase from amazon because they are not an authorized dealer and will not be covered under warranty by usa spec. I've been using it for a few days now. The only thing negative is the steering wheel control does not advance/go back to next song. I have to use the **** on the radio. Song artist and title is shown too.
So it shows as another satellite input? Quality is good for streaming music? Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:49 PM
mven74
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
So it shows as another satellite input? Quality is good for streaming music? Anyone else have experience with this?
yes. Sound Quality is good.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM
ross7778

Any chance you could post a pic of the display? Do you just select the Aux input to use it? Does it automatically connect the next time you start the car?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:15 PM
mven74
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ross7778
Any chance you could post a pic of the display? Do you just select the Aux input to use it? Does it automatically connect the next time you start the car?

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 PM
mven74
Registered Member

This is the only picture i have. I will take more pictures of the other display to give you a better idea. It is a scrolling text display.
anhhuy88 (05-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Streaming solution for non-Nav equipped car?