Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Android users; How are YOU streaming your music from you phone to car now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:03 AM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android users; How are YOU streaming your music from you phone to car now?

okay i know that there are plenty threads on this but so far all the ones i found were from around 4 years ago. what i'm wondering now is what those people who own a 2010 and below g37 are doing when it comes to streaming music. i personally hate the radio so streaming is a must. i'm getting my g37 with 40k miles on it in 3 days and am trying to figure out how i'm going to connect my phone via bluetooth or aux (doesn't have an aux and bluetooth can only do phone calls since its 2008) and stream spotify. all the threads i find seem to use a combination of a home bluetooth transmitter and a cigarette lighter adapter that connects to that.
but i'm also finding some stuff where they using the rca ports or even those newer ones that go into the cigarette lighter and use a radio station to stream bluetooth

Last edited by R2-D2; 07-22-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 AM
R2-D2
Registered Member

bump? we've got 50 views but no reply!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 AM
eemba

I use grom. My g37 now has bluetooth streaming and aux capability. Simplest solution I've found.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:02 AM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by eemba
I use grom. My g37 now has bluetooth streaming and aux capability. Simplest solution I've found.
ive never actually seen oe heard of anyone using it. Whats the whole thing about giving up xm radio??? And how is it installed?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
My 13 has BT audio, but i used something similar on my last car. You give up xm because they are essentially replacing the XM receiver with a bluetooth one. Any car audio place can do the install unless you are comfortable removing the dashboard and radio yourself.

Don't do the kind that take the bluetooth signal and transmit it on a radio frequency. The fidelity on those suck
Old 07-22-2017, 12:42 PM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
My 13 has BT audio, but i used something similar on my last car. You give up xm because they are essentially replacing the XM receiver with a bluetooth one. Any car audio place can do the install unless you are comfortable removing the dashboard and radio yourself.

Don't do the kind that take the bluetooth signal and transmit it on a radio frequency. The fidelity on those suck
Any experience with using a blue tooth reciever powered by a usb converter?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM
eemba

I never used xm radio so it wasn't a big deal to me to lose that functionality. It's very easy to install. I've never done ANY audio upgrades to any of my previous cars myself and I was able to install the grom module. I have no regrets and it's worked perfectly.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Try this: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...eel-contr.html

Works with steering wheel controls.

David

Last edited by YellowJacket; 07-26-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
currently using iSimple ISFM23 + mentra 40-ni12. good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 AM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by puff2ice
currently using iSimple ISFM23 + mentra 40-ni12. good luck.
can you still use the steering wheel controls? Does the album art etc show up? I always thought that was only for iphones
Old 07-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Patton6964

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use this with an aux cable, for $23 dollars you can't beat it. It does not allow for steering wheel controls and does not display track information but it streams via Bluetooth. Some reviews on amazon say it has poor audio but I think most people are just using a crappy aux cable. Make sure you have a good one and you'll have great sound. It also connects to Bluetooth whenever you turn your car on so you don't have to constantly search for it over and over again, and also allows for you be paired to that and the hands free calling at the same time so you don't have to switch back and forth.

Unit
Amazon Amazon

Aux cable
Amazon Amazon

I really like YellowJacket's setup though, purely just to have steering wheel control
The following users liked this post:
YellowJacket (07-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by R2-D2
can you still use the steering wheel controls? Does the album art etc show up? I always thought that was only for iphones
volume up/down are the only ones that work with it. All this does is create a blue tooth connection between your phone and car allowing you to stream audio only, which is then played on your car via a FM station.....thats it. I choose this route because i wanted to keep XM and I didnt want to add too mach bulk. I currently have the unit hidden behind the radio, wired directly to the cigarette lighter so that it turns on when the car is on and shuts down when the car is off.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Germanshield

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to post my reply several places for people. It would have helped me a week ago.

As has been said multiple times already, the USB3 GROM unit from GROMAudio is the best way to go. They currently have a sale going on for $15 off as well with the code in their banner.

I just finished installing mine today. It was relatively painless after figuring everything out, except that I was unlucky and ran into several issues. I can now fully disassemble my center console/dash and put it back together in 20 minutes, hah.

GROM Unit (double check your year and model with their guide and everything)
Nissan Infiniti USB Android iPod iPhone Bluetooth AUX car kit

Installation guide:
INFINITI G37 WITHOUT NAV 2012: GROM-BT3 Bluetooth Hands Free and A2DP Car Kit Installation

Just an FYI, several things went wrong with mine because it's a 2013 and apparently that year randomly causes issues, along with one other model vehicle...go figure.

Just remember to disconnect the XM tuner (antenna AND white power connector) in the trunk. There is a random chance that you will have to ground one of the connector's return wires as well, which caused a major headache. Additionally, there is a 50/50 chance that you will have to connect the spare female adapter on the supplied cable to the factory male end (once again, headache). Finally, I happened to get a unit that was shipped the same day as a major firmware update and had to flash the firmware (which was extremely painless since I ran the USB extender to my center console).

Feel free to ask for help if anyone runs in to issues. Their tech support is great as well if you want to go that route.