Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How to wire to ignition fuse?

Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM
taimysho0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to wire to ignition fuse?

Hello

I bought some LED strips on ebay and hooking it up to my car. I connected one side to the negative on the battery and the other wire needs to goto the ignition fuse according to the instructions.

When I look at the ignition fuse, its part of a 3 fuse module. How do I connect my wire (in pic) to this fuse? Do i just pop open the plastic cover on the module? I definitely dont want to break it.

Name:  wire_zpsmzom5yrk.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  133.9 KB
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 PM
z 2 g
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think they may be referring to a switched fuse. One that is hot only with the ignition on. Use a test light and find a standard type fuse thats only hot with the ignition on. Then hook under it or get a fuse tap or add a fuse from O'Reillys or whatever local parts supplier you use.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by z 2 g
Think they may be referring to a switched fuse. One that is hot only with the ignition on. Use a test light and find a standard type fuse thats only hot with the ignition on. Then hook under it or get a fuse tap or add a fuse from O'Reillys or whatever local parts supplier you use.
This. Easiest is to typically tap off the power outlet fuse.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
omg please do not do this install yourself as you will end up frying something or shorting a circuit out. from the looks of it and from your description in your post its safe to bet you are not mechanically inclined or have proper automotive knowledge. i am only saying this to prevent you from making some huge mistake in your install and causing damage to your electrical sys and you'll be back here asking about making additional repairs. take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
omg please do not do this install yourself as you will end up frying something or shorting a circuit out. from the looks of it and from your description in your post its safe to bet you are not mechanically inclined or have proper automotive knowledge. i am only saying this to prevent you from making some huge mistake in your install and causing damage to your electrical sys and you'll be back here asking about making additional repairs. take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
I don't think the taimysho0 has a clue on what the current draw is on those LED strips he is attempting to install?
Probably doesn't own a voltmeter nor has the knowledge on how to use one?

taimysho0 take crookcastle's advice and let a pro do it.

Electrical fires can destroy a vehicle and if an insurance company determines you screwed up they can deny any claims.

Telcoman
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM
taimysho0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z 2 g

thanks! appreciate the help. I got a fuse tapper and used the outlet that controls the seat warmer, since this only turns on when ignition is in i used it. However, the led seems to turn on once i plugged in the fuse, i cant seem to get the leds to turn off. i also tried the audio fuse outlet same issue. any reason why the leds would still turn on even though car is off?

led i bought:
2X White 6 LED Universal Car Auto Driving Lamp Fog 12V DRL Daytime Running Light | eBay
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by taimysho0
thanks! appreciate the help. I got a fuse tapper and used the outlet that controls the seat warmer, since this only turns on when ignition is in i used it. However, the led seems to turn on once i plugged in the fuse, i cant seem to get the leds to turn off. i also tried the audio fuse outlet same issue. any reason why the leds would still turn on even though car is off?

led i bought:
2X White 6 LED Universal Car Auto Driving Lamp Fog 12V DRL Daytime Running Light | eBay
this is called short to power, meaning the circuit is grounded into a live wire. i wonder how long before you hit the jackpot short to ground.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
I don't think the taimysho0 has a clue on what the current draw is on those LED strips he is attempting to install?
Probably doesn't own a voltmeter nor has the knowledge on how to use one?

taimysho0 take crookcastle's advice and let a pro do it.

Electrical fires can destroy a vehicle and if an insurance company determines you screwed up they can deny any claims.

Telcoman

see above.

Search this Thread