Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Water Leak from improper subs power wire installation from SK Customs Car Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Fantality4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advices NEEDED! "SK Customs Car Auto" improper installation resulted in leakage

I've been getting a water leak into the car. The carpet floor behind the driver seat is literally flooded with water and the INFINITI tech said there should be a small pool of water gathered there which will not be easy to remove.

After a brief inspection, the INFINITI tech found the cause. The power wire installation by "SK Custom Car Audio" was done improperly and the water was coming in through the small gap they didn't even bother to seal up.

Called SK Custom Car Audio. They said they will clean up the small pool of water that's gathered inside of my car and properly reinstall the power cable. But I'm not sure if it should stop there.

The subs were installed on 2/27/2016 which means water has been sitting inside of my car for more or less a year and a month. (I took over the car about two months ago from my brother. My brother thought the car had a leak and usually parked in the garage. He didn't dig in deep to find the cause)

I'm worried about the damage the long term humidity inside the car would have caused to electronics and possible rusting. (Often times in the morning, the front and back windshields would be fogged up from the inside. On really bad occasions, it was so bad there were literally water sitting on top of the windshields which when wiped by hand would drop in big droplets.)

What should I do?

Should I even let the SK Custom Car Audio repair this? Is there a way for me to take my car and get it fixed elsewhere and have them cover the bills?

Last edited by Fantality4; 04-04-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think there would be damage to the electronics unless they came in direct contact with water. Just check everything, that's how you'll know; all of the buttons, switches, etc..

As far as having them repair any damage, or getting them to pay for another place to do it, I'd read this.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...me-advice.html

Different area, but the concepts can possibly still be applied.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Just installed my amp personally, and made sure to seal the gasket that went through to prevent this from happening.

This just sucks, and was a lazy installation. Hopefully nothing else got wet, but it is possible. This being the case, corrosion and other failure may be imminent.

I would be pissed, and possibly go after them legally. This is a terrible job, and wouldn't trust them after this. The seal can be done, but at this point, why trust such a business?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not seeing where in the pictures its through? I have a sub and the ensuing power wire installed from the previous owner and you have me a bit scared lol.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM
supreme
Registered Member

I am not sure where it was put through. But I did mine through the grommet on the passengers side. This location is pretty standard.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, this has me curious. I routed my wire through that same grommet. If I don't reseal it 100% kind of like shown in the previous picture, am I at risk of water leakage?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
Hmmm, this has me curious. I routed my wire through that same grommet. If I don't reseal it 100% kind of like shown in the previous picture, am I at risk of water leakage?
For the $3 a tube of silicone would cost, why risk it? Wait for a nice afternoon and go seal it up.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Yeah, wasn't even worth the headache. Got some high temp RTV gasket maker. Confidence it will not melt due to engine temp. Maybe overkill, but peace of mind is everything.