Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i have no hotspot for my phone (old grandfathered unlimited data plan) - will plugging it in via USB enable the VLine to connect to the internet?

if not, i may finally change my phone plan.

looking forward to it for the later model G's ... on track for next month still?
No, unfortunately you will have to tether the data, plugging in via USB will not provide the internet connectivity to VLine.

We also offer stand alone modem/hot spot USB dongle that is compatible with TMobile:

G-Connect Car Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE WiFi Modem

As for VLine for the next generation Nissan and Infiniti stereos, we are still working on it and I do not have the solid date yet. I will post an update once the product is available.

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 PM
dbrohrer
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A users expierence so far

I preordered the vline for a 2007 g35 journey with bose / nav. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and figured I could post a couple notes on my impressions.

My experience has not been good so far. Promising, but not good. I installed the vline the day it came in. Install was super easy. Everything is plug and play. The harness and device are well made. I followed the instructions provided and got my radio to find the vline right away. So far so good. Once I got into the interface I was very impressed. The functionality is amazing for my 10 year old G35. Sideloading a couple nav apps and some music apps went smoothly. Audio sounds great. Carplay works great.

Now the bad:
1. My backup camera had some graphical effects
2. After 2 hours with the car completely off, the vline, the infiniti stereo, and the hvac fail to start. The screen lights up but there are no graphics. No radio, no AC, nothing. Pulling the battery cable or unplugging the vline and plugging it back in resolves the issue until the car is off for another 2 hours.

I put in a support request for my issues. I was provided a new firmware file that I applied. This fixed my backup camera graphical issues at the expense of vline failing to load on the screen entirely (its on but you can't see it on the screen). Vline will show on my screen on occasion for 60-90 seconds, then it will drop out and the aux screen will remain on. Support acknowledged and confirmed my issues and notified me that they were working on a solution.

So at this time, if I leave vline hooked up, I have no vline interface to enjoy and I have to pull my battery cable if the car has been sitting for 2+ hours. Unhooking vline and removing the vline harness restores all functionality of the car at stock.

I have been working with support since 6/25 on these issues. They have been responsive and respectful. I have been and still am very hopeful that a solution comes soon. If vline works as Grom intends it to, I will feel my money was more than well spent on this and I would recommend it to anyone. I am only posting here to warn any potential users that waiting might be the best option until some kinks get worked out. I cannot speak for whether these issues occur in a 2010-2013 g37. The AV unit and screen are different in those models. I believe that it is reasonable to assume that any users with 2007-2009 g35/g37 with nav and bose will have similar issues as I have described.

I will comment or edit my post if / when Grom provides a working solution to any of my issues.

This product has a lot of potential. Its almost really great! Almost
Old 07-14-2017, 01:52 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are aware of this problem and working on the solution, that will be provided shortly.
Please keep communicating with GROM technical team,
they will provide you with an update once available.

We truly appreciate your cooperation in that matter and thank you for your interest in our VLine Infotainment System!

Originally Posted by dbrohrer
I preordered the vline for a 2007 g35 journey with bose / nav. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and figured I could post a couple notes on my impressions.

My experience has not been good so far. Promising, but not good. I installed the vline the day it came in. Install was super easy. Everything is plug and play. The harness and device are well made. I followed the instructions provided and got my radio to find the vline right away. So far so good. Once I got into the interface I was very impressed. The functionality is amazing for my 10 year old G35. Sideloading a couple nav apps and some music apps went smoothly. Audio sounds great. Carplay works great.

Now the bad:
1. My backup camera had some graphical effects
2. After 2 hours with the car completely off, the vline, the infiniti stereo, and the hvac fail to start. The screen lights up but there are no graphics. No radio, no AC, nothing. Pulling the battery cable or unplugging the vline and plugging it back in resolves the issue until the car is off for another 2 hours.

I put in a support request for my issues. I was provided a new firmware file that I applied. This fixed my backup camera graphical issues at the expense of vline failing to load on the screen entirely (its on but you can't see it on the screen). Vline will show on my screen on occasion for 60-90 seconds, then it will drop out and the aux screen will remain on. Support acknowledged and confirmed my issues and notified me that they were working on a solution.

So at this time, if I leave vline hooked up, I have no vline interface to enjoy and I have to pull my battery cable if the car has been sitting for 2+ hours. Unhooking vline and removing the vline harness restores all functionality of the car at stock.

I have been working with support since 6/25 on these issues. They have been responsive and respectful. I have been and still am very hopeful that a solution comes soon. If vline works as Grom intends it to, I will feel my money was more than well spent on this and I would recommend it to anyone. I am only posting here to warn any potential users that waiting might be the best option until some kinks get worked out. I cannot speak for whether these issues occur in a 2010-2013 g37. The AV unit and screen are different in those models. I believe that it is reasonable to assume that any users with 2007-2009 g35/g37 with nav and bose will have similar issues as I have described.

I will comment or edit my post if / when Grom provides a working solution to any of my issues.

This product has a lot of potential. Its almost really great! Almost
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Any updates?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Still working on it, apologize for the delay - hope to have positive news within a week. Thanks a lot for your support, we appreciate it!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:02 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Any updates with this? Are the previously mentioned issues fixed? (For 07 G35?)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Yes, also looking for an update... ready to buy ASAP
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
So, posting my issue/question here since it seems to be the place to contact Grom. I installed this on my '09 about two or three months (I don't recall, it was the weekend after it came in from the pre-order). Install was real easy and straight forward. Setup was easy and good. I chose to go with this instead of upgrading to a '10+ Infiniti navi unit and screen because I wanted to see if this was good. It was worth it. Still plan on upgrading to '10+ when the new Grom comes out and I can get it. Every thing is good save two things.

1. Super small feedback, I noticed when going into reverse and the input is the Grom unit the backup camera image is fuzzy/low rez. Almost like I am watching something through a VCR and the tracking is off slightly. I figured it was an image processing thing, its honestly not a big deal but thought I should mention it.

2. This is the big one. Every now and then, without any real reason that I have noticed, I will loose all face-plate input controls. The HVAC yellow lights will not turn on and none of the buttons on the radio plate or navi plate will work. I still have steering wheel controls but that's it. HVAC is in whatever setting I last had and I am unable to go to any other setting due to lack of input controls. I have found if I pull the ground on the battery it will reset this and all is good... until i goes out again. I haven't really trouble shot this as of yet because of time and it hasn't become annoying yet, but it happens at least once a week minimum.

Any feedback would be nice. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by iCrap
Any updates with this? Are the previously mentioned issues fixed? (For 07 G35?)
The issues with NIS8 VLine are fixed, and all should work good. The NIS8 VLine is available here:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl1-nis8.html

We are still working on the VLine to support next Generation of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles (newer then 2009). We will keep you posted on the development progress.

Thank you.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:07 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by zer099
So, posting my issue/question here since it seems to be the place to contact Grom. I installed this on my '09 about two or three months (I don't recall, it was the weekend after it came in from the pre-order). Install was real easy and straight forward. Setup was easy and good. I chose to go with this instead of upgrading to a '10+ Infiniti navi unit and screen because I wanted to see if this was good. It was worth it. Still plan on upgrading to '10+ when the new Grom comes out and I can get it. Every thing is good save two things.

1. Super small feedback, I noticed when going into reverse and the input is the Grom unit the backup camera image is fuzzy/low rez. Almost like I am watching something through a VCR and the tracking is off slightly. I figured it was an image processing thing, its honestly not a big deal but thought I should mention it.

2. This is the big one. Every now and then, without any real reason that I have noticed, I will loose all face-plate input controls. The HVAC yellow lights will not turn on and none of the buttons on the radio plate or navi plate will work. I still have steering wheel controls but that's it. HVAC is in whatever setting I last had and I am unable to go to any other setting due to lack of input controls. I have found if I pull the ground on the battery it will reset this and all is good... until i goes out again. I haven't really trouble shot this as of yet because of time and it hasn't become annoying yet, but it happens at least once a week minimum.

For problem #2 - please contact our tech support at http://gromaudio.com/support.html. There was the update that should help you to resolve the issues that you are having.

We will also look into #1 problem that you listed here.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
zer099 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM
dbrohrer
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099

I have had issue #2 for a few weeks. Support has tried to help with firmware updates but the issue has persisted. Sometimes I can go days without it happening, other times it will happen 2-3 times in one day.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I contacted them through the link provided and we ran a few updates. Hopefully it will fix the issue. I will update in a couple weeks how things are going with it. I hope your issue gets sorted out. It honestly is a pretty awesome upgrade in my mind. I can see how some might not care, but just being able to run Torque and google maps from my navi screen made it worth the money honestly.
gromaudio (09-14-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 PM
infinistic
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
An interested Texan that would love to test this!
gromaudio (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by infinistic
An interested Texan that would love to test this!
Thank you for your interest, we accept only the beta-testers that reside in our area, as we need the access to the actual cars.

BUT the VLine for Infiniti vehicles with Gen 8 stereo is already available, here:

And VLine for the newer Infiniti vehicles is coming in soon! Stay tuned, and you can also subscribe to our announce at
bit.ly/nissan_vline

Thank you!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:20 PM
infinistic
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
Thank you for your interest, we accept only the beta-testers that reside in our area, as we need the access to the actual cars.

BUT the VLine for Infiniti vehicles with Gen 8 stereo is already available, here:

And VLine for the newer Infiniti vehicles is coming in soon! Stay tuned, and you can also subscribe to our announce at
bit.ly/nissan_vline

Thank you!
Is the Gen 8 compatible with 2013 G series?

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience