Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grom Newsletter
Android Auto is coming soon to VLine

We are almost done on integrating Android Auto into VLine Infotainment System. The connection will work through USB cable.

Note that your factory phone system will be used for phone calls while in Android Auto. Everything else is done directly through Android Auto interface: Music apps, Messaging apps, Google Maps and Waze. Just plug your Android phone and enjoy your very new infotainment system.
Do you plan to upgrade this in the future so that Android Auto works wirelessly on the VLine 2 ?

If you are working on it now, it would be a shame to provide an already outdated connection method (= a USB cable), especially since the VLine 2 has a WiFi chip. Having to take your phone out of a pocket / briefcase / handbag / whatever and plug it each time you get in your car is really not user-friendly, and a constant USB connection means that the battery of the phone will be less and less effective as time goes on.

There are unofficial solutions like this one but they are made for units that lack a WiFi chip, it would be a shame if we had to use such a workaround...
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
We do not have plans on supporting Wifi connection for Android Auto at this point.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, I have the Vline2 and I just updated to Android 8.1 and it seems after cold starts the system takes around 5 minutes to come up after displaying the Vline screen or it freezes and I have to unplug the system. If the system has been on recently like I ran into a store and back out it seems to boot quickly.

I have also had a couple of system restarts while driving and Carplay freeze once, all of this and I only had installed the update last nite.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by enigmacarpc
Hey, I have the Vline2 and I just updated to Android 8.1 and it seems after cold starts the system takes around 5 minutes to come up after displaying the Vline screen or it freezes and I have to unplug the system. If the system has been on recently like I ran into a store and back out it seems to boot quickly.

I have also had a couple of system restarts while driving and Carplay freeze once, all of this and I only had installed the update last nite.
Make sure to update your system to the latest updates. The boot time should be around 20s.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
What's the diff between NIS9VL2 and NIS8VL2?

ETA on the Android Auto integration? And what benefit would you have for this? So it can get updates such as:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/08/...o-2019-update/
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by teahead
What's the diff between NIS9VL2 and NIS8VL2?

ETA on the Android Auto integration? And what benefit would you have for this? So it can get updates such as:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/08/...o-2019-update/
For 12 G37 you will need NIS9VL2 (navi) or NISKVL2 (non navi)
Android Auto will be available in 2 weeks. Around May-23.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:50 AM
espimax
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On your website it shows 2 units for my 2008 G37 with navigation. What's the difference?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

In reply to espimax:

VLine is fully featured Android based infotainment system where apps run directly on the main unit. You can install Google Maps, Waze, music applications such as Spotify and others, directly from Google Play store. There are also build-in plugins available for music apps such as Spotify, Web Radio, Google Music and local (played from USB stick) music. It also offers additional options to mirror your phone, both for iPhone and Android, to stream via Bluetooth. Voice commands are available to use to start navigation or to search for the music using one of the music plugins. Here is the VLine model for your vehicle:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/in...n-upgrade.html

VLite does not allow you to download any apps from Google Play store, but it allow for mirroring of your Android phone or the iPhone on your car stereo display (with additional accessories such as HDMI cable and Google Chromecast). Additional options include Bluetooth music streaming and USB playback;
https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/ni...amera-kit.html

Both systems will soon have Android Auto support, so stay tuned for the announcement.

Last edited by gromaudio; 05-13-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: reply
The following users liked this post:
Davbay1 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
Make sure to update your system to the latest updates. The boot time should be around 20s.
The update came out about a day after I reported this and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Thank you.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Any update on Android Auto w/Grom?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Any update on Android Auto w/Grom?
Yes Android Auto update is released for VLine VL2. Please see the post here:

View this post on Instagram

The OTA update is available for 8.1 Android.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
teahead (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:51 PM
teahead
Registered Member

what if your phone is on pie (9.0)?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

what if your phone is on pie (9.0)?
It works fine with Android 9 phones, see here:

Demo phone is OnePlus 5 with Android 9
Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 PM
ed2019
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone been able to successfully RMA this device? I have a VL1 in my G37S w/ Nav and in the last couple weeks it became totally useless and unable to even play local music without constant freezing and locking up. I ran a factory reset 2 times and all of the updates possible. Support is claiming I don't have the latest firmware installed, even after running all available OTA updates and one via USB, but they won't tell me what version number is supposed to displayed for the VCORE and that my whole problem is w/ firmware. They want me to send in the device for only the firmware update, but they won't even acknowledge that this could be a hardware issue. Support with this company has been a nightmare both this time and last time I had to deal with them and are doing everything to avoid replacing this broken unit. This device is still under the 18 month warranty, but if they don't honor it, I'm ready to throw this thing the trash. I can post a video to youtube showing how badly this thing is broken, if anyone is interested.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:41 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ed2019
Has anyone been able to successfully RMA this device? I have a VL1 in my G37S w/ Nav and in the last couple weeks it became totally useless and unable to even play local music without constant freezing and locking up. I ran a factory reset 2 times and all of the updates possible. Support is claiming I don't have the latest firmware installed, even after running all available OTA updates and one via USB, but they won't tell me what version number is supposed to displayed for the VCORE and that my whole problem is w/ firmware. They want me to send in the device for only the firmware update, but they won't even acknowledge that this could be a hardware issue. Support with this company has been a nightmare both this time and last time I had to deal with them and are doing everything to avoid replacing this broken unit. This device is still under the 18 month warranty, but if they don't honor it, I'm ready to throw this thing the trash. I can post a video to youtube showing how badly this thing is broken, if anyone is interested.

Send it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience