Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM
can37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audible is probably app I would use most. I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks during my commute.

Other than that, I mainly use Spotify, which works inconsistently through DashLinq. The two issues I have there are:
  1. Steering wheel controls eventually stop working until the phone is rebooted (app restart may work too, but haven't tried)
  2. Ocasionally tracks will not play. Name will display on both phone and in car, but the time is stuck at 0:00. Pressing the "Play/pause" button will toggle the icon, the time doesn't actually count up. When this happens, I can change tracks, but they all get stuck at 0:00. Rebooting the phone also seems to fix it.
With the above issues, I think restarting the app may also fix it, but it's easier to get the phone restarted while on the road, than it is trying to fiddle with the touch screen.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:57 AM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by can37
Audible is probably app I would use most. I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks during my commute.
Other than that, I mainly use Spotify, which works inconsistently through DashLinq. The two issues I have there are:
  1. Steering wheel controls eventually stop working until the phone is rebooted (app restart may work too, but haven't tried)
  2. Ocasionally tracks will not play. Name will display on both phone and in car, but the time is stuck at 0:00. Pressing the "Play/pause" button will toggle the icon, the time doesn't actually count up. When this happens, I can change tracks, but they all get stuck at 0:00. Rebooting the phone also seems to fix it.
With the above issues, I think restarting the app may also fix it, but it's easier to get the phone restarted while on the road, than it is trying to fiddle with the touch screen.
Make sure to update to the latest Dashlinq. These issues should be fixed already. Also I suggest disable USB Streaming (Dashlinq Settings->Disable USB Streaming). If you still see issues, send us quick support request via web form:
https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 PM
SelbyL

I've just installed the VLine 2 in my non-nav system and I'm pretty happy with it. The performance is good and the touch screen is responsive. My only complaint is the low resolution screen that Infiniti installed in the car. Since the Vline has an HDMI out port, I would be happy to see an upgrade option in the future for an upgraded screen.

Also, my Vline has Android 5 on it and the system states that there is no new software updates available.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by SelbyL
I've just installed the VLine 2 in my non-nav system and I'm pretty happy with it. The performance is good and the touch screen is responsive. My only complaint is the low resolution screen that Infiniti installed in the car. Since the Vline has an HDMI out port, I would be happy to see an upgrade option in the future for an upgraded screen.

Also, my Vline has Android 5 on it and the system states that there is no new software updates available.
Thank you for your feedback! Android 8.1 is coming soon, stay tuned for our updates!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 PM
NightRider104

I'm excited about this product release! Im doing my research now to know what to expect when I purchase it.

Has anyone been able to install it anywhere else besides the glove box? For example under a seat, trunk etc?

Originally Posted by OnlyNismo
I got my GROM VLine 2 installed at the GROM HQ two weeks ago (Thanks Jason!). The entire process was very professional and Jason was very knowledgable of the product and explained everything to me.

Here are my initial impressions of the VLine 2.

FINALLY some upgraded tech for our G (especially for us non-navi guys). This is exactly what I have been waiting for.
  1. I am impressed by how speedy and responsive the unit is. The unit boots up in 10-15 secs and connects to my wifi tether immediately.
  2. Touch screen works perfectly, swipe, scroll, pinch. Would be nice if scrolling was a little more speedy - not sure if this can just be adjusted in the settings
  3. Interface and buttons are big so it is easy to select what you want.
  4. Spotify and A2DP (bluetooth streaming) works flawlessly. I can select all my playlists on my Spotify. Album art, Song title, Artist, and elapsed time are all displayed. (Finally Spotify and bluetooth streaming in the car!)
  5. Steering wheel controls all work.
  6. Finally have navigation displayed on the screen (Google Maps and Waze). Works as expected per App.
  7. Apple CarPlay - only briefly tried this as I have an Android. Apple CarPlay interface is the exact same as any other apple CarPlay integration. Maps and Spotify works as expected. Did not Siri.

Bottom line: Works as expected and does everything I need. You can download additional apps as this is Android based and Play store enabled. Makes my car much more enjoyable to drive now (I have a 2012 G37x coupe, first owner).

I will update my review as I use it more.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 PM
colin.ssc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering if this would work with the JDM V36 (07 G35s Sedan equivalent) as we have both the reverse and also side cameras?

Also with CarPlay, do we connect via cable or bluetooth/wifi?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
I'm wondering what other android apps would work? I'm thinking torque or another obd2 info display, specifically.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 PM
colin.ssc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates any body?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
torque runs fine. use it constantly
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:31 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Originally Posted by colin.ssc
Just wondering if this would work with the JDM V36 (07 G35s Sedan equivalent) as we have both the reverse and also side cameras?

Also with CarPlay, do we connect via cable or bluetooth/wifi?
The best is to contact us via support at https://gromaudio.com/support.html We would need to see the photos of the back and front of your stereo and LCD display. Once you email to us, the ticket will be opened and you will receive automated reply. Simply reply back to us with the photos.

Thank you!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:11 PM
CarbonDave
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NightRider104
I'm excited about this product release! Im doing my research now to know what to expect when I purchase it.

Has anyone been able to install it anywhere else besides the glove box? For example under a seat, trunk etc?
Do you have a sedan or a coupe? I have a coupe and installed it under the center console. It was quite a bit of work but is much cleaner than the assine suggestion of installing it in the glovebox. I don't think it will work in a sedan because of the AC vents that go to the rear of the car.
All that being said I have had nothing but problems with this unit. I probably wouldn't buy another one unless the bugs have been worked out.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 PM
Micheal Gordon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonDave
Do you have a sedan or a coupe? I have a coupe and installed it under the center console. It was quite a bit of work but is much cleaner than the assine suggestion of installing it in the glovebox. I don't think it will work in a sedan because of the AC vents that go to the rear of the car.
All that being said I have had nothing but problems with this unit. I probably wouldn't buy another one unless the bugs have been worked out.
What bugs have you been having per say? I'm about to pull the trigger on this too, i would love to install other than the glob box in a sedan.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Hypothetical question here...
I'm assuming this product is Android based. And as such, thinking back to the stash of no-longer-supported Android phones I have scattered around my house, what happens to this product once it hits a certain age? Or, if the vendor stops making updates for it?
10 years from now, will this product still work well? Or will the drop of product support leave it hobbled?

It is such an interesting product, but I am concerned that it would bring a new experience to my car that I am not ready for: dealing with updates and/or lack of support.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
Hypothetical question here...
I'm assuming this product is Android based. And as such, thinking back to the stash of no-longer-supported Android phones I have scattered around my house, what happens to this product once it hits a certain age? Or, if the vendor stops making updates for it?
10 years from now, will this product still work well? Or will the drop of product support leave it hobbled?

It is such an interesting product, but I am concerned that it would bring a new experience to my car that I am not ready for: dealing with updates and/or lack of support.
i have a Motorola Droid (2009) that i still use as a nightstand alarm clock.

the devices do not stop functioning and self-destruct - you just won't get the latest features.

same with Apple.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i have a Motorola Droid (2009) that i still use as a nightstand alarm clock.

the devices do not stop functioning and self-destruct - you just won't get the latest features.

same with Apple.
When Android devices get old enough, certain apps do un-install themselves and are no longer available in the Play Store.

Some apps can function after support is gone. But any apps that need updated databases to function with the outside world are usually the first apps to go.

On my LG Optimus V, Pandora stopped functioning 3 years ago. The LG was a media streamer. I now use my old Nexus 5 to stream media to the home stereo. I mean, you could say "OMG the Optimus V is old bro" but that's my point. How old is too old? Or when does lack of support affect a device installed in your car? Eventually, the hardware won't keep up either.

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience