Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:05 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
We've developed an advanced infotainment system for the connected car experience. No need for smartphones. The system allows for direct sync and usage of music, maps and voice right from your factory car stereo.

We’d love to get feedback from our communities here. Our VLine system is already being sold. We’re looking for select Infiniti owners who live in the SF Bay Area to help us in expanding this technology to more users.

Here are what some are already saying:

"I’m enjoying ‘web radio’ and Waze displayed on my navigation screen."
"Pretty cool how relevant the technology feels in my car once again."

So if you’d like to see this for yourself, go to:
GROM Audio VLine BETA Test Page
Hey! I have a 2008 infinti g35 Sedan. its the 3rd gen with the nice headunit that has navigation and everything.
looking to see if i can get something similar to Apple Carplay, something like you stated, simotanisouly does syncs everything when i enter my car.
Im located in Oakland, California, so yea! maybe you guys can help!
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for using VLine and providing your feedback, we always listen and will do our best to improve our technology
So yesterday my unit failed. No matter what I try, I can't get the display to come online. It must be working somewhat because I can still use all my dash buttons and map to control the original equipment, but I can't get over to the Grom VL2 at all.

I'll be opening a support ticket.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my GROM VLine 2 installed at the GROM HQ two weeks ago (Thanks Jason!). The entire process was very professional and Jason was very knowledgable of the product and explained everything to me.

Here are my initial impressions of the VLine 2.

FINALLY some upgraded tech for our G (especially for us non-navi guys). This is exactly what I have been waiting for.
  1. I am impressed by how speedy and responsive the unit is. The unit boots up in 10-15 secs and connects to my wifi tether immediately.
  2. Touch screen works perfectly, swipe, scroll, pinch. Would be nice if scrolling was a little more speedy - not sure if this can just be adjusted in the settings
  3. Interface and buttons are big so it is easy to select what you want.
  4. Spotify and A2DP (bluetooth streaming) works flawlessly. I can select all my playlists on my Spotify. Album art, Song title, Artist, and elapsed time are all displayed. (Finally Spotify and bluetooth streaming in the car!)
  5. Steering wheel controls all work.
  6. Finally have navigation displayed on the screen (Google Maps and Waze). Works as expected per App.
  7. Apple CarPlay - only briefly tried this as I have an Android. Apple CarPlay interface is the exact same as any other apple CarPlay integration. Maps and Spotify works as expected. Did not Siri.

Bottom line: Works as expected and does everything I need. You can download additional apps as this is Android based and Play store enabled. Makes my car much more enjoyable to drive now (I have a 2012 G37x coupe, first owner).

I will update my review as I use it more.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gromm v2

I wanted to ask if I can leave the factory usb connected and connect the lightning cable to the Vline 2 to still use the car play etc? The latest video doesnt show it being disconnected but the instructions note to do so.

I also see an HDMI input on the Vline 2, can the V2 play video?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-12-2018, 05:38 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RANDY350Z
I wanted to ask if I can leave the factory usb connected and connect the lightning cable to the Vline 2 to still use the car play etc? The latest video doesnt show it being disconnected but the instructions note to do so.
If you have non Navi stereo then yes Factory USB will stay active. For older gen Navi also possible.
I also see an HDMI input on the Vline 2, can the V2 play video?
HDMI IN can be used to play video, we mostly intend it for maps or phone mirroring though.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I have a 2014 Q60 Converible with Nav. So will I have to disconnect the factory usb and plug in the V2 cable to factory plug in then to the V2?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

[left]
If you have non Navi stereo then yes Factory USB will stay active. For older gen Navi also possible.
HDMI IN can be used to play video, we mostly intend it for maps or phone mirroring though.

Ok, thanks. I have a 2014 Q60 Converible with Nav. So will I have to disconnect the factory usb and plug in the V2 cable to factory plug in then to the V2?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Yes Factory USB will be disconnected
Old 08-15-2018, 11:07 PM
HL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:25 AM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Hey everyone! I purchased and installed the VL2 onto my 2010 G37 a couple of months ago and figured I'd throw my two cents in.

First of all, I have been very pleased with not only the features the VL2 has added to my aging G37, but also the very quick support from GROM on any issues. I, like some of oyu, have mostly used the CarPlay feature since I'm an Apple user. Every once in a while, I'll pop back into the android side and use some of those apps using my phone as an internet source. I just read about the Apex launcher from JSylvia007's post, I'll have to go download that and see how it looks.

I had the airbag and TPMS issues when I first installed but resolved both of them per the instructions others have given.

Since I am a CarPlay user mostly, I did not install the GPS antenna, it looks like CarPlay/Apple Maps uses your iPhone's GPS antenna, which works for me. I did mount the Mic along with the USB cable as shown in the images below.

I am also waiting patiently on Android 7. Even though I am mostly over in the CarPlay app, I would like to see if that improves any of the audio delays with Siri/CarPlay phone calls others have mentioned.

My bluetooth streaming seems to be choppy still, I wonder if this has anything todo with my Apple Watch. I will try turning it off and seeing if it improves. I also don't recall seeing album artwork via bluetooth. Again, not a huge problem for me since I am sticking with CarPlay. OnlyNismo, did you see album artwork through Bluetooth??

Lastly, up until the latest firmware update (20 or 21 August I believe), my steering wheel controls behaved as follows: Up: Next track/station, Down: Prev track/station. Some users have called this backwards, but it appears to be the behavior in the Inifiniti OS (I checked the FM source in the Infiniti OS and verified Up is next preset and down is previous preset). Also the 2010 G37 owner's manual lists this behavior as the correct behavior. However, after the update, they are now Up: Prev track Down: Next track, which admittedly matches the radio-mounted controls, but now feels backwards from what I've been used to for years. Can anyone verify I am not going crazy on this??

Thanks GROM for a nice product and more importantly for the great and responsive customer service!

Mic and USB come out of this console, and can hide in there if needed.

ProClip mount works great aesthetically

Loving my "updated" technology in my older G37

Last edited by jdjurado; 08-22-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added a question.
The following users liked this post:
knyghtfire (10-16-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdjurado

My bluetooth streaming seems to be choppy still, I wonder if this has anything todo with my Apple Watch. I will try turning it off and seeing if it improves. I also don't recall seeing album artwork via bluetooth. Again, not a huge problem for me since I am sticking with CarPlay. OnlyNismo, did you see album artwork through Bluetooth??

Lastly, up until the latest firmware update (20 or 21 August I believe), my steering wheel controls behaved as follows: Up: Next track/station, Down: Prev track/station. Some users have called this backwards, but it appears to be the behavior in the Inifiniti OS (I checked the FM source in the Infiniti OS and verified Up is next preset and down is previous preset). Also the 2010 G37 owner's manual lists this behavior as the correct behavior. However, after the update, they are now Up: Prev track Down: Next track, which admittedly matches the radio-mounted controls, but now feels backwards from what I've been used to for years. Can anyone verify I am not going crazy on this??

Thanks GROM for a nice product and more importantly for the great and responsive customer service!

Loving my "updated" technology in my older G37
I don't think album art through bluetooth is supported and I don't think this is supported through Bluetooth in general.

I'll check on the steering wheel controls. I just updated my unit today with the latest software. I hope they didn't change it as I got used to it. They told me about this when I got it installed. I have a 2012 and for FM on the steering wheel controls down is next present. If you look at the presents 1-6 on the screen, down will goto the next present (3 -> 4) since it's a list. It makes sense that up is next track, and down is previous.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:21 AM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kaighal
  • the wheel track buttons are reversed (I get the next track while pressing up instead of down). The buttons on the console in the middle of the car work as intended.
Small update on this, since I noticed that other people were discussing the matter.

After two firmware updates and one VLINE software update, it finally works as intended, at least for me : UP on the steering wheel control works like the BACK button and DOWN works like the NEXT button. This is how it has always worked for CD's, USB and Spotify (through Bluetooth, before installing the VL2 unit).

I am very happy about this as it is how the buttons have always been working for me during 8 years of ownership. Please keep it that way, it is homogeneous with the behavior of the buttons for every other multimedia usage.

If anyone does NOT like it this way, then maybe GROM should consider adding an option to let us choose how we want the steering wheel controls to work ?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:39 PM
jdjurado
Registered Member

Thanks all for the info.

I personally don't mind having them the way they are now after the two firmware updates. I will note that his is backwards for me and the way it was prior to the VL2. Somehow it looks like Infiniti is manufacturing vehicles with different behavior on the buttons. I think the current way they are after the updates makes more sense and it actually matches the buttons on the radio bezzel-- I don't mind them being backwards from the rest of the Infiniti OS on my vehicle since I won't be using them for multimedia in that OS anyways. It is interesting though that some vehicles are opposite of others coming out of Infiniti.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:44 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

For some of you that do not have NAV stereos, we started preorder for VLine for select Infiniti stereos without navigation:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-nisk.html
Old 09-10-2018, 04:06 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For some of you that do not have NAV stereos, we started preorder for VLine for select Infiniti stereos without navigation:
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-nisk.html
Since public shaming seems to be the only way to get a response once the company goes dark...

I have now been without a functioning unit since 04-AUG. That's over a MONTH.

I feel like your organization is slipping back into it's old habbits of not communicating with customers.

I haven't heard anything since 04-SEP.

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience