Review 2013 G37 Sedan Bose Analysis - Page 7 - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > Audio, Video & Electronics
Reload this Page >

Review 2013 G37 Sedan Bose Analysis

Notices
Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review 2013 G37 Sedan Bose Analysis

Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Zaos

milosz, thanks for the detailed analysis. I don't mean to minimize the effort you put in, but for the rest of us following along, it seems to be that an easy way to fix the bose system's response would be to apply your EQ settings on the source files that are being played. So, in essence, digitally applying the EQ on files that are burnt to DVD or on the flash drive. No physical mods needed. This is probably best for FLAC source files, which can have the transformation applied before being encoded into your preferred format for the car to play.

Likely similar to an earlier poster recommending EQ using Viper4Android, except no phone is needed.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
reybeast

How would you do that on music that is being streamed or has DRM?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM
milosz

Yes, that would work

Originally Posted by Zaos View Post
milosz, thanks for the detailed analysis. I don't mean to minimize the effort you put in, but for the rest of us following along, it seems to be that an easy way to fix the bose system's response would be to apply your EQ settings on the source files that are being played. So, in essence, digitally applying the EQ on files that are burnt to DVD or on the flash drive. No physical mods needed. This is probably best for FLAC source files, which can have the transformation applied before being encoded into your preferred format for the car to play.

Likely similar to an earlier poster recommending EQ using Viper4Android, except no phone is needed.
Yes this would work, certainly, for music from the iPod or from DVD-ROM; obviously this would not work for FM or Satellite.

Be a bit of a drag to change the EQ for 150 GB / 6,000 tracks in order to tweak the response, like right now I want to add a little more "body" to the midrange - maybe 2 dB at 400~800 Hz. To re-eq the 6,000 tracks I have on my iPod to accomplish this would be a pain, even though you could automate this by having all the file names / original locations in a playlist-like file on the PC used for the processing, and using something like DSP in dBPowerAmp MP3 converter, converting the source FLAC files to the 320k MP3 files for the iPod wile at the same time applying the EQ. (I haven't used the DSP EQ in DBPowerAmp's converter and I don't know if it is granular enough to achieve the required curve; an alternative would be to use something like Adobe Audtion in batch mode, which would certainly work, but take quite a bit longer- still, it would be an automated process running on my PC, so it would not be too terrible a burden - not like manually EQing each of 6,000 tracks.)

So, yes, your point is absolutely valid as far as it goes. Once you got an EQ curve you were completely happy with you would be able to apply it to all the tracks you listened to from iPod / USB memory / and DVD-R- which is the bulk of "serious listening" for most drivers. No custom harnesses needed (which was to me the most complex part of my method) and ZERO EXPENSE if you already own the software.

Frankly, I never thought of this. I just charged ahead to identify why I didn't like the stock sound and then worked to remediate it in the cars audio chain.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 AM
milosz

My MiniDSP has stopped working now that the weather is cold (In Chicago it is routinely between -3° and 5° C this time of year)

Connecting a PC to the MiniDSP I see it's digital circuits are still active, but putting a 'scope on the output shows no audio coming out.

I wrote MiniDSP about this, and they said:

"Please note that this unit isn’t meant to operate below zero degree btw. ....It’s most likely that at below zero, it’s your battery that has a slower rate to achieve 12V. That rate doesn’t trigger the un-muting of the outputs."

It would have been nice if their web site mentioned that.

Right now, in order to have some music and use of the audio for bluetooth phone calls, I've just jumpered the audio lines around the Mini-DSP, effectively taking it out of the audio circuit. I've written MiniDSP to ask them if they could provide a schematic of the audio output stage of the unit showing the muting circuit, which I would then just defeat.

SO- anyone out there planning on using a MiniDSP in their car in cold climates please be aware that you may run into the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to milosz For This Useful Post:
zer099 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:25 PM
rotarymike

They probably don't use milspec components (milspec usually just has a wider temp operating range).

You could also use a short timer circuit to delay power-on for 10 seconds, to let the engine and alternator stabilize - then you should have full voltage when the DSP initializes.

Or, you know, move south
Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 PM
milosz

Originally Posted by rotarymike View Post
They probably don't use milspec components (milspec usually just has a wider temp operating range).

You could also use a short timer circuit to delay power-on for 10 seconds, to let the engine and alternator stabilize - then you should have full voltage when the DSP initializes.

Or, you know, move south
...or I could plumb coolant lines from the engine to the trunk-deck area and use a thermostatic switch to power up the DSP once the coolant warmed up - HAHAHAHAHAHA

**Yeah a time delay makes sense. A relay and a 555. Thanks for the suggestion!**

I can test that idea by disconnecting the MiniDSP from power (pull the power input plug) starting the car then manually plugging the power into the MiniDSP. If the slow-to-rise 13.6 voltage of the car is the issue, this would show it. But I'm wondering if maybe the cold weather makes the output muting circuit of the MiniDSP completely inoperative."

There's a JL audio DSP that I could use in place of the MiniDSP, my wiring wouldn't have to change much I already have extracted the left and right balanced audio lines from the Bose harness. But that thing is like $500, on top of the ~$150 I've already spent. There are other commercial DSP EQ type things being sold, but few of them use balanced lines. JL seems to be a high-quality brand as far as I can tell. And I bet their gear will work below 0° C.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:20 PM
llebcire

Originally Posted by milosz View Post
Here's the tweeter mounted in the measurement rig from the previous post.

Here's the frequency response - not a great graph, I saved this at the wrong size, but you get the overall idea. Good response up to about 15 kHz, at which time there's some raggedness which also shows up a little in the waterfall plot as an energy storage thing. The way this tweeter is "aimed" from the sail, I don't think much of this above-15 kHz sound reaches the driver, except maybe as reflections from sound bouncing around in the cabin. This is not a bad tweeter, though I would say that since it has just a 4.7 uF capacitor as a series crossover from the signal driving the midrange, I am guessing that the output of this driver overlaps and adds to the output of the 3.5" midrange, adding to the sense to "too much treble" in this system. I think that with a 2nd order- or even 3rd order- high-pass crossover at about 5 kHz, this driver might make a decent tweeter to compliment the 3.5 inch midrange. But as I said in the previous post, that midrange has GOT to have a 5 kHz low-pass in series with it, it should NOT be used full range.
Miloz,

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this!

I'm getting ready to add passive crossovers before a sub woofer and would like your insight.

My plan is to remove the in-line capacitor for the tweeters and install a custom 12db Linkwitz–Riley for both mid and tweet at 5KHz - I may not be able to find the 3.8 mfd cap so may lower the frequency a touch based on available caps.

Questions:
Any issues using a LR crossover? This flat at the crossover frequency and based on your testing I wouldn't want a bump.

Would it be worth it to create a 12db low pass for the center channel? As it's the same driver as the doors it would exhibit the same performance, however the volume of the driver is fairly low so I don't know of the low pass would make a difference - however the driver is reflecting directly off the windshield so that might be a factor.

-Eric
Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 PM
milosz

I hadn't thought about the center channel. If you put a 5 kHz low pass on that driver, I would think you'd need to add a tweeter as well. Try it and see. You might not feel like a tweeter is needed.

If you want to experiment try something small like Parts Express 5/8" soft dome Part # 275-025 would work well I would think. You could just try it out at first... then if you like it, you might even be able to mount it right in the center of the front speaker grille- maybe behind the grill or mounted flush with the grille by cutting a hole in the grille for the tweeter...

12 dB L-R xover at 5 kHz is a good choice for the door midrange-to-tweeter xover I think. I don't think you'll have any freq. resp. bumps from that.

I'd be curious to know how it sounds when you are done.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 AM
llebcire

Installed crossovers on Wednesday, however only installed the low pass on the squawker. The 4.7 mfd cap for the tweeter is attached to the housing and I didn’t have time to remove and bypass so I left it in for now, if 4 ohm would be 9KHz 6db high pass using electrolytic capacitor.

Ordered components from Madison Sound – 3.9 mfd Mylar caps with 0.25 mh 20 gauge air coils. I prefer Mylar (or anything) to electrolytic for sound quality and ordered the same caps for consistency – for the low pass the cap doesn’t matter as it’s connected to speaker return.

Crossover significantly reduced the output from the mids and reduced the harshness, system sounds more balanced now. Highs are still slightly harsh and I don’t know if the cause is tweeter quality, output, or if the Bose amp is clipping and lacks headroom at higher volume. The waterfall plot indicates the tweeters break up above 15 KHz, however I’m 50 so probably can’t hear much above 12-14 KHz so might not be audible for me.

While in the doors I also added additional peel and stick along with fiberglass insulation to tame the metal cavity. Bass and mid bass sounds better and fuller. More to come as I continue to listen to various tracks but I have noticed that saxophones aren’t as harsh, along with cymbals, and certain music isn’t so piercing. For example, the beginning to Love is Gone (David Guetta, Joachim Garraud & Chris Willis) was previously so harsh I needed to turn down the volume for the intro – it’s now better but still harsh. Tech music (i.e. dubstep) is much easier to listen to as well.

-Eric

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.